Thought for the day- 10/22

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Let us enrich ourselves with our mutual differences. -Paul Valery, poet and philosopher (1871-1945)

I like that. It reminds me of another quote which is sometimes appropriate for this forum...
We find comfort among those who agree with us -- growth among those who don't.
- Frank A. Clark

I like that. It reminds me of another quote which is sometimes appropriate for this forum...
- Frank A. Clark.
happyjacks said:
- Frank A. Clark
I have always said that my son caused me to do much more than I would have without him constantly challenging me.

Thank you! I like both of these
regular_smile.gif

Thank you for these! Some days I can use all the encouragement I can get!
Today happens to be one of those days.

Today happens to be one of those days..
Well in that case, I'll share one of my favourite quotes for bad days...
If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down.
- Mary Pickford

Take these for what they are worth - I have saved each on in my quotes file for a reason. Maybe one will touch your heart today:
If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant; if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome. --Anne Bradstreet
This very moment is a seed from which the flowers of tomorrow's happiness grow. Margaret Lindsey
God gave you a gift of 86,400 seconds today. Have you used one to say 'thank you?' -- William A. Ward
Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. --Robert E. Lee
No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted. Unknown
When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on. Franklin D. Roosevelt
Every day, tell at least one person something you like, admire, or appreciate about them. Richard Carlson
I know men and I tell you that Jesus Christ was no mere man: Between
Him and whoever else in the world there is no possible term of comparison.—Napoleon
“Fight all your battles on your knees and you will win every time.”
A skeptic is a person who, when he sees the handwriting on the wall, claims it is a forgery. -- Morris Bender
Not knowing when the dawn will come, I open every door. --Emily Dickinson

"In summer, the song sings itself."
-- William Carlos Williams

The most important single ingredient in the formula of success is knowing how to get along with people. --Theodore Roosevelt

The person rowing the boat seldom has time to rock it. -- Author Unknown
Friendship is precious, not only in the shade, but in the sunshine of life, and thanks to a benevolent arrangement the greater part of life is sunshine.--Thomas Jefferson

Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat.--F. Scott Fitzgerald
Money is a very excellent servant, but a terrible master.-- P. T. Barnum
Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation. -- Henry Ward Beecher
Today's Inspiration: Start living now. Stop saving the good china for that special occasion. Stop withholding your love until that special person materializes. Every day you are alive is a special occasion. Every minute, every breath, is a gift from God. Mary Manin Morrissey
Never save the best for last because the worst may kill you.
Everybody can be great...You only need a heart full of grace. -- Martin Luther King, Jr.
The human race is divided into two classes--those who go ahead and do something, and those who sit still and inquire, "Why wasn't it done the other way?" -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
Some days you're the hydrant
and some days you're the dog
Be the person your dog thinks you are.
When Moses came down from the mountain with the clay tablets, he said, "Folks, I was able to talk Him down to 10. - Garrison Keillor
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.--Jimmy Dean

Take these for what they are worth - I have saved each on in my quotes file for a reason. Maybe one will touch your heart today:
If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant; if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome. --Anne Bradstreet
This very moment is a seed from which the flowers of tomorrow's happiness grow. Margaret Lindsey
God gave you a gift of 86,400 seconds today. Have you used one to say 'thank you?' -- William A. Ward
Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. --Robert E. Lee
When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on. Franklin D. Roosevelt
Every day, tell at least one person something you like, admire, or appreciate about them. Richard Carlson
Him and whoever else in the world there is no possible term of comparison.—Napoleon
A skeptic is a person who, when he sees the handwriting on the wall, claims it is a forgery. -- Morris Bender

The most important single ingredient in the formula of success is knowing how to get along with people. --Theodore Roosevelt

Friendship is precious, not only in the shade, but in the sunshine of life, and thanks to a benevolent arrangement the greater part of life is sunshine.--Thomas Jefferson

Today's Inspiration: Start living now. Stop saving the good china for that special occasion. Stop withholding your love until that special person materializes. Every day you are alive is a special occasion. Every minute, every breath, is a gift from God. Mary Manin Morrissey
Everybody can be great...You only need a heart full of grace. -- Martin Luther King, Jr.
The human race is divided into two classes--those who go ahead and do something, and those who sit still and inquire, "Why wasn't it done the other way?" -- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.
When Moses came down from the mountain with the clay tablets, he said, "Folks, I was able to talk Him down to 10. - Garrison Keillor
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.--Jimmy Dean.
Hi JBJ, it looks like you get inspiration every day with proverbs. It is a nice attitude. Do you share it with your web visitors on one of your page ?

"Come to the edge."
"We can't. We're afraid."
"Come to the edge."
"We can't. We will fall!"
"Come to the edge."
And they came.
And he pushed them.
And they flew.
(Guillaume Apollinaire)
Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplaceable spark, in the hopeless swamps of the approximate, the not-quite, the not-yet, the not-at-all. Do not let the hero in your soul perish, in lonely frustration for the life you deserved, but have never been able to reach. Check your road and the nature of your battle. The world you desired can be won. It exists, it is real, it is possible, it is yours.
(Ayn Rand)
Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the things you did do. So throw off the bowlines! Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the tradewinds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
(Mark Twain)

Some farm and ranch wisdom (with credit to Murdochs).
  • LIfe is simpler when you plow around the stump.
  • Words that soak into your ears are whispered, not shouted.
  • Do not corner something that is meaner than you are.
  • It doesn't take a very big person to carry a grudge.
  • You cannot unsay a cruel word.
  • When you wallow with the pigs, expect to get dirty.
  • The best sermons are lived, not preached.
  • Most of the stuff people worry about isn't going to happen anyway.
  • Don't judge folks by their relatives.
  • Silence is sometimes the best answer.
  • Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.
  • Don't interfere with something that's not bothering you.
  • If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging.
  • Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.--Jimmy Dean.
Hi JBJ, it looks like you get inspiration every day with proverbs. It is a nice attitude. Do you share it with your web visitors on one of your page ?
Bonne Adresse said:
No, I have quotes here and there when I need them. On our blackboard in the dining room I have an Autumnal quote. On wedding cards I put a special quote, or anniversaries. I don't get any in my email now, about 4 years ago I did and rarely read them, I had a couple diff inspirational websites send me a quote or thought for the day. I have since changed that email acct and have not signed up for any new ones. I think some of my favorite quotes came from WORD OF THE DAY - which I thought would increase my vocabulary. Many of them were words I had never heard or nor would use, so I stopped that one.

"Come to the edge."
"We can't. We're afraid."
"Come to the edge."
"We can't. We will fall!"
"Come to the edge."
And they came.
And he pushed them.
And they flew.
(Guillaume Apollinaire)
Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplaceable spark, in the hopeless swamps of the approximate, the not-quite, the not-yet, the not-at-all. Do not let the hero in your soul perish, in lonely frustration for the life you deserved, but have never been able to reach. Check your road and the nature of your battle. The world you desired can be won. It exists, it is real, it is possible, it is yours.
(Ayn Rand)
Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the things you did do. So throw off the bowlines! Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the tradewinds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
(Mark Twain).
IronGate said:
(Mark Twain)
Did you know Mark Twain used to write a letter a day and toss them out the window? Someone would always find them and mail them for him. Someone just back from Missouri told me this. Not sure if it is true or not, but it sounds like something he would do!

Desperation is the raw material of drastic change..--William S. Burroughs

Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler. Albert Einstein

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed. Albert Einstein

I don't know, I don't care, and it doesn't make any difference! Albert Einstein

I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious. Albert Einstein

Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value. Albert Einstein

There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. Albert Einstein

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein
We read not that Christ ever exercised force but once; and that was to drive profane ones out of his Temple, not to force them in. -- John Milton
If a million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing. --Anatole France

Women are made to be loved, not understood. Oscar Wilde

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new. Albert Einstein

Who, being loved, is poor? Oscar Wilde

Where we love is home - home that our feet may leave, but not our hearts. Oliver Wendell Holmes

It's simple, if it jiggles, it's fat. Arnold Schwarzenegger

There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.
Oscar Wilde

Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds.
-- William Shakespeare
Mid pleasures and palaces though we may roam,
Be it ever so humble, there's no place like home.
John Howard Payne (1791 - 1852)

The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the wall of our own homes. Harold B. Lee (1899 - 1973)
The repetition of small efforts will accomplish more than the occasional use of great talents. -- Charles H. Spurgeon
It is impossible to win the race unless you venture to run, impossible to win the victory unless you dare to battle.--Richard DeVoss
Our faith and our friendships are not shattered by one big act, but by many small neglects.-- J. Gustav White
A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved.--Dorothea Brande

It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not deserve them.--Mark Twain

High expectations are the key to everything.--Sam Walton

We have a God who delights in impossibilities. -- Andrew Murray
There are only 2 reasons everyone is not a christian: 1) They do not know a Christian or... 2) They do. -- Author Unknown
Shared joy is double joy and shared sorrow is half-sorrow. -- Swedish Proverb
Anyone can count the seeds in an apple... but only God can count the apples in a seed. -- Author Unknown
I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."
~ Patrick Henry (1736-1799)
If you want to be rich, count all the things that money can't buy
Peace if possible, truth at all costs. -- Martin Luther
Our Lord has written the promise of the resurrection not in words alone,but in every leaf in springtime.-- Martin Luther
"Work is a blessing when it blesses others."
Great thoughts speak only to the thoughtful mind, but great actions speak to all mankind.--Theodore Roosevelt
Poverty of purpose is far worse than poverty of the purse
Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin. --Grace Hansen

Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or to lose.--Lyndon Johnson

If you want breakfast in bed, sleep in the kitchen.

Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character.-- Albert Einstein
When one door closes, another door opens;
but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door,
that we do not see the ones which open for us." - Alexander Graham Bell

Desperation is the raw material of drastic change..--William S. Burroughs

Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler. Albert Einstein

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed. Albert Einstein

I don't know, I don't care, and it doesn't make any difference! Albert Einstein

I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious. Albert Einstein

Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value. Albert Einstein

There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. Albert Einstein

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein
We read not that Christ ever exercised force but once; and that was to drive profane ones out of his Temple, not to force them in. -- John Milton
If a million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing. --Anatole France

Women are made to be loved, not understood. Oscar Wilde

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new. Albert Einstein

Who, being loved, is poor? Oscar Wilde

Where we love is home - home that our feet may leave, but not our hearts. Oliver Wendell Holmes

It's simple, if it jiggles, it's fat. Arnold Schwarzenegger

There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.
Oscar Wilde

Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds.
-- William Shakespeare
Mid pleasures and palaces though we may roam,
Be it ever so humble, there's no place like home.
John Howard Payne (1791 - 1852)

The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the wall of our own homes. Harold B. Lee (1899 - 1973)
The repetition of small efforts will accomplish more than the occasional use of great talents. -- Charles H. Spurgeon
It is impossible to win the race unless you venture to run, impossible to win the victory unless you dare to battle.--Richard DeVoss
Our faith and our friendships are not shattered by one big act, but by many small neglects.-- J. Gustav White
A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved.--Dorothea Brande

It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not deserve them.--Mark Twain

High expectations are the key to everything.--Sam Walton

We have a God who delights in impossibilities. -- Andrew Murray
There are only 2 reasons everyone is not a christian: 1) They do not know a Christian or... 2) They do. -- Author Unknown
Shared joy is double joy and shared sorrow is half-sorrow. -- Swedish Proverb
Anyone can count the seeds in an apple... but only God can count the apples in a seed. -- Author Unknown
I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death."
~ Patrick Henry (1736-1799)
If you want to be rich, count all the things that money can't buy
Peace if possible, truth at all costs. -- Martin Luther
Our Lord has written the promise of the resurrection not in words alone,but in every leaf in springtime.-- Martin Luther
"Work is a blessing when it blesses others."
Great thoughts speak only to the thoughtful mind, but great actions speak to all mankind.--Theodore Roosevelt
Poverty of purpose is far worse than poverty of the purse
Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid it will never begin. --Grace Hansen

Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or to lose.--Lyndon Johnson

If you want breakfast in bed, sleep in the kitchen.

Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character.-- Albert Einstein
When one door closes, another door opens;
but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door,
that we do not see the ones which open for us." - Alexander Graham Bell.
We can go now for meditation and apply them to our lives !
"What does not kill me makes me stronger" said Nietzsche in "Twilight of the Idols"

From my father (1942-2003)
If you were feeling achy: If you get stiff in them joints, stay out of them joints.
Once finally in the car: We're off like a herd of turtles (in a cloud of steam).
Upon passing a policeman: Bless my soul it's the Highway Patrol!
Upon passing a boat on a trailer: It's the navy!
To me: Don't be a wise ass.
=)
Kk.

Today happens to be one of those days..
Well in that case, I'll share one of my favourite quotes for bad days...
If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down.
- Mary Pickford
Simply thank you

The one that I live by daily: "Keep your words sweet, you never know when you'll have to eat them".~ Grandma

If you were feeling achy: If you get stiff in them joints, stay out of them joints.
Once finally in the car: We're off like a herd of turtles (in a cloud of steam).
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
My grandfather used to say every time he drove past a cow - "Ladies" and tip his hat.

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
My grandfather used to say every time he drove past a cow - "Ladies" and tip his hat.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Dh is a city boy... when we pass cows he moos. It used to make me crazy (being a country girl) but now it's a family joke.
When we first met and married he was very naive. How naive, you ask? Well, while dating we had no car and we were riding with a friend from Ohio to come and visit our families. I looked up at some cows on a hillside and said, "Look, there's some of those cows with two legs shorter on one side than the other." Our friend looked up and said, "Oh, yeah!" Dh (boyfriend at the time) looked up, too.
A year later we were married and driving across Ohio. Dh saw some cows on a hill and asked, "Are those some of those cows with two legs shorter on one side than the other?"
I looked up and said, "Yep, there they are."
Shortly after he asked me, "How do they go up and down the hill?"
I said, "They have to go around."
He said, "Some of them are facing a different direction."
I said, "They have to go the other way..."
And I began to realize he'd believed it for an entire year, just as it dawned on him that it was all a joke that was too old to be funny.
He refused to believe anything I told him for years.
=)
Kk.

Back