Three in a room for two

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had people try to convince me to squeeze in 3 in rooms that were not set up that way. No way, no how. We had 3 rooms that would accommodate 3 people and there was an extra charge. When they tried the "sleeping on the floor" ploy, I would tell them that would not work for fire safety considerations.
Gave them the number for the hotels nearby that would allow that kind of thing.

Yep. We are not flexible on this point. I will only put an extra person in the room IF *we* think there is enough space for safety's sake, and IF the extra person is either a child or all the other rooms are booked. Do NOT ask me to put a third adult in the room if you are too cheap thrifty to rent one of my other rooms.
I'm glad for her that they do this at other BnB's. She should book at one of those rather than trying to bend you to her will.
But hey, it could be worse. I had one lady who wanted to fill my living room floor with people in sleeping bags. Really. When I said no, she asked why..
I did it once and I put a cot in the room. We were full and the ladies were sisters. I didn't really like it but I charged and extra $50. They were so nice and I didn't feel taken advantage of. I feel it is a safety issue to put three in a room.
This new request made me feel taken advantage of. The only thing that would have been worst would have been if they hadn't told me and blind sided me when they arrived.
Yes I think they are being cheap and I understand that. If I wanted to be cheap with my sisters I would go to the Dollar Inn.
sandynn said:
I did it once and I put a cot in the room. We were full and the ladies were sisters. I didn't really like it but I charged and extra $50. They were so nice and I didn't feel taken advantage of. I feel it is a safety issue to put three in a room.
See, I think that's different. First off, if ALL the other rooms are booked, I'd rather put the cot in than lose a bookings....but, on our site, we list the maximum number of "bodies" a room will service...One of our rooms is flat our too small for a third person - not even a kid.
I love the prohibitive rate. I may have to give that some thought...
I am going to use that in my life and my buisness. I may have to give that some thought....
wink_smile.gif

I love it. I used to tell my kids we'll see if they wanted to do something I didn't was them to do. It always seem to work. They knew what that really meant.

We had people try to convince me to squeeze in 3 in rooms that were not set up that way. No way, no how. We had 3 rooms that would accommodate 3 people and there was an extra charge. When they tried the "sleeping on the floor" ploy, I would tell them that would not work for fire safety considerations.
Gave them the number for the hotels nearby that would allow that kind of thing..
Samster said:
Gave them the number for the hotels nearby that would allow that kind of thing.
Amen, Samster! We do the same thing. Who needs the aggravation?

We have two family rooms with a double bed (ie for 2) with a separate single bed for a child. we do this at a decent rate though most places charge a lot more than we do. However once or twice 3 adults have turned up so we have changed our sites to say if it is a third adult then it is $60 bucks extra. What we have had problems with is when a child is say below about 8 they go in with the parents but past a certain point they have to have their own room and then there is a big jump in price and they can't compute that. But as I say to DH that aint my problem.

Back