Three reviews for the same room

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBeachHouse

Reaction score
Review # 1 - "Cozy. Our room was excellent. Bathroom with a tub/shower vis a vis the hall. Nice seaside view."
Review #2 - "Great but no en suite. The room was good and the inn very nice. Only minus for me is that I interpreted 'private bathroom' as being en suite. We had a bathroom along the corridor. I would not have booked it if I had known this beforehand."
Review #3 - "Wish we could have stayed longer!!!" Our room was clean and cozy. We had the only room without a bathroom off the room, ours was down the hall but that was no problem at all. The view out our window was amazing."
Each one was happy with the house and breakfast, but described the same room experience differently. So funny. I did check on Ex ped ia and they do not have an option for 'down the hall.' I will mention in my response that the best way to get a full description is to check the home's website.

We don't list the plague room on an OTA. I do not want to deal with that. We've had enough OTA guests bitch about walking upstairs for me to realize some people think they are booking a hotel.

I have three rooms where the bathroom is across the hallway. B**king describes my rooms as private and ensuite bathroom and to check description of individual rooms. Ex**a includes a description of an unattached bathroom for the three that are like that when you scroll the picture of the room. Just call them and ask them to add that extra description. Since I've done that, no one has thought they were getting otherwise.
Plus, I make very sure people know what they're booking when they're on my site.

The "not ensuite" isn't your problem at all, it's theirs. Though, as with ours, we actually say something like private bathroom just across the hallway, so they don't make a mistake.
And my shared... have shared in the title of the room name on the OTAs. So you can't say you weren't warned... it's part of the room name.... Queen with Shared Bath or King with Shared Bath.
We are listed on the OTAs as a B&B and it says that rooms are only accessible via stairs.
Of course, I just got a review on one of the OTAs that complained that their AX card got declined and they had to use another CC.... because it's my fault that AX declined the charge!

The "not ensuite" isn't your problem at all, it's theirs. Though, as with ours, we actually say something like private bathroom just across the hallway, so they don't make a mistake.
And my shared... have shared in the title of the room name on the OTAs. So you can't say you weren't warned... it's part of the room name.... Queen with Shared Bath or King with Shared Bath.
We are listed on the OTAs as a B&B and it says that rooms are only accessible via stairs.
Of course, I just got a review on one of the OTAs that complained that their AX card got declined and they had to use another CC.... because it's my fault that AX declined the charge!.
Its your problem if the guest was led to believe it might have been ensuite, as the review impacts your business.
It is always imperative to keep all source site of guests accurate.

Exped doesn't have a check the box for down the hall. book does and we check it. people don't read.
On the other hand, so what? The room is five steps outside your room. It is private. We provide very nice fluffy robes in case you want to cover up before leaving the room.
I don't get defensive. In my reviews I just say, 'great room tip. people like to know this is our only room with a bathroom not attached to the room.'

We stayed at a B&B home once. Our room was described as cozy with a private full bath not attached.
We get there and are on the third floor. No problem. But the private bathroom is in the basement. Three flights downstairs!!!!! It was a lovely, brand new bathroom, but not good enough.
Surprise, they have their other room available for only $50 more and it has an en suite. Fine! $50 was (and is) a lot of money back then which is, of course, why we booked the other room to start with. But three flights downstairs is not the same as 'steps down the hall!'

We stayed at a B&B home once. Our room was described as cozy with a private full bath not attached.
We get there and are on the third floor. No problem. But the private bathroom is in the basement. Three flights downstairs!!!!! It was a lovely, brand new bathroom, but not good enough.
Surprise, they have their other room available for only $50 more and it has an en suite. Fine! $50 was (and is) a lot of money back then which is, of course, why we booked the other room to start with. But three flights downstairs is not the same as 'steps down the hall!'.
yikes

Of course, I just got a review on one of the OTAs that complained that their AX card got declined and they had to use another CC.... because it's my fault that AX declined the charge!.
Charlie said:
The "not ensuite" isn't your problem at all, it's theirs.
I like this reminder. I know the B&B down the street has three rooms with 'down the hall' bathrooms. So, deal with it. And btw, why do you think it's the least expensive room in the house????

Exped doesn't have a check the box for down the hall. book does and we check it. people don't read.
On the other hand, so what? The room is five steps outside your room. It is private. We provide very nice fluffy robes in case you want to cover up before leaving the room.
I don't get defensive. In my reviews I just say, 'great room tip. people like to know this is our only room with a bathroom not attached to the room.'.
TheBeachHouse said:
I don't get defensive. In my reviews I just say, 'great room tip. people like to know this is our only room with a bathroom not attached to the room.'
Always good to play up in a positive way what guests say.

Surprise, they have their other room available for only $50 more and it has an en suite. Fine! $50 was (and is) a lot of money back then which is, of course, why we booked the other room to start with. But three flights downstairs is not the same as 'steps down the hall!'.
TheBeachHouse said:
Surprise, they have their other room available for only $50 more and it has an en suite. Fine! $50 was (and is) a lot of money back then which is, of course, why we booked the other room to start with. But three flights downstairs is not the same as 'steps down the hall!'
We looked at a B&B to buy that had the room on one floor and bath on another. Nope. I could just see the complaints. Hard enough having a bathroom across the hall. Someone needs to be REALLY clear about where the bathroom is if they expect you to go in the cellar!

We had this with book - got them to change it to Private external bathroom - didn't have a problem after that.
People translate private to ensuite - its an industry term not one the public uses.

The problem with OTAs is that they have only approved wording that they feel that one size fits all. That may have been back in the day when all they listed were hotels. As their listing choices have expanded so should their vocabulary but it has not, or not enough.

They have now started listing vacation rentals (at least Booking has) so hopefully they will broaden their vocabulary again.
The main issue I have had with their wording limitations was about children and pets. I finally worked with my rep to get something that I feel is working for both.
The problem is the guest doesn't read or interprets it in their mind to say what they wanted it to say.

Its your problem if the guest was led to believe it might have been ensuite, as the review impacts your business.
Oh brother, undersea. I can not wait until you get your feet wet with real inn keeping. All this theory is making me weary!!!

Like I mentioned, Exped-a does not have a 'check the box' for 'down the hall.' They ask private or shared.
Private is accurate.
Seriously, in my previous house, my bathroom was further away from my bed than this one is. So it truly is not a big deal. People just like to complain.

I don't get defensive. In my reviews I just say, 'great room tip. people like to know this is our only room with a bathroom not attached to the room.'.
Got the 10 years I had 3 with shared, I would tell people "we know it is a disappointment to many, but no streakers are allowed so we have robes in the closets for guests to use." This worked until we started getting people who did not know what a streaker was.
And Rosi's and the Harris have shared bath listed prominently - everywhere.

Like I mentioned, Exped-a does not have a 'check the box' for 'down the hall.' They ask private or shared.
Private is accurate.
Seriously, in my previous house, my bathroom was further away from my bed than this one is. So it truly is not a big deal. People just like to complain.
TheBeachHouse said:
Private is accurate.
Sorry Beachie! IMHO you need to work with Ex ped ia to help you communicate this in a better way. You may want to use 2cat's listing as an example of how to word it better.

Private may be accurate when the choices are private or shared. But most guests these days will automatically think attached.
Several years ago we booked a B&B room with an ensuite bath. Long story short, when we got our room (different one than booked) the bath was detached. He said it was private but since the door opened to a public parlor everyone using the parlor used that bathroom as there was no keyed lock.

No I was not happy. Not even for the discount they gave us for the mix up (he had double booked the other room).

And no, just because it is only steps away and you are use to that it still IS a big deal if the guest feels it is not what they booked. Discuss this with the OTA rep to fix it.

everyone has thier own point of view and are entitled to it. we cant spoonfeed our guests, they have their priorities. where one thinks one thing another thinks another, i have that with my partner all the time.

Back