Time For Change

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Highlands John

Reaction score
New furniture for our most popular rooms arrived yesterday. Bed, two bedsite cabinets, dressing table and chest of draws. Good quality stuff too, not like the flat packed pine tat that was in that room before.
Exciting stuff, except...
  • The bed headboard is a lot higher so it covers the switch for the main room lights so the switch has to be moved.
  • The chest of draws cover the socket where the kettle plugs in so that need moving. Whilst doing this I thought I might as well put the TV arial cable into the wall so it's hidden.
  • The shelf with teas and coffees on it is now on the wrong side of the room so that needs moving/replacing
  • The dressing table is higher so it part covers the mirror on the wall, so had to take the old mirror off the wall and put a new one up (who glues mirrors to the wall, had so much trouble getting the old one off).
  • The curtains trail on the new dressing table so they need shortening.
  • The new bedside cabinet covers the socket so that needs moving.
sheesh!!! Thought we'd put the new furniture in and that would be that.

It's always something!
We reno'd the guest pantry area a few years ago and I needed an outlet moved 3' so it was not hidden behind the new cabinetry. 3 FEET. $500. And, the electrician drilled a hole into the molding in a guest bedroom because he got turned around in the basement and went thru the wrong wall.
It was $50 just for the permit to do the work. I should have had a second outlet put in but who knew we were going to be adding a coffee machine to the layout.
I want (don't need this) 3 more outlets put in...2 in the hallway and one so I can plug the dang Christmas lights in without running 2 extension cords just to get to the only outlet near the mantle.

Final last words...
We have one of those going on right now as well.
BTW Were you ears burning? I just mentioned you as I had store bought marmalade on some american southern style biscuits similar to scones, and mentioned that if I were at your place I would be having home-made marmalade instead of this junk.

this is why I am super retentive when buying furniture! measured the space and wardrobe for room 9 about 7 times before buying as had to fit in a narrow alcove and I had to be sure! As well if I am looking for a new piece for a room ie I want a new dressing table for room 8 but its a very funny space I measure up and carry it round in a notebook in my handbag so if I see one in a second hand shop or whatever I have all the measurements to hand. This is because I wanted a dressing table for 5 and 4 and went in a second hand shop and saw two I thought would be perfect nipped home to measure and I was right dashed in the shop and said I'll have both! she replied your lucky as this couple were just looking at one of them! 5 minutes longer in traffic and I would have missed it and it was for a space between a wall and a wardrobe and had to fit exactly! and the one I found does!

this is why I am super retentive when buying furniture! measured the space and wardrobe for room 9 about 7 times before buying as had to fit in a narrow alcove and I had to be sure! As well if I am looking for a new piece for a room ie I want a new dressing table for room 8 but its a very funny space I measure up and carry it round in a notebook in my handbag so if I see one in a second hand shop or whatever I have all the measurements to hand. This is because I wanted a dressing table for 5 and 4 and went in a second hand shop and saw two I thought would be perfect nipped home to measure and I was right dashed in the shop and said I'll have both! she replied your lucky as this couple were just looking at one of them! 5 minutes longer in traffic and I would have missed it and it was for a space between a wall and a wardrobe and had to fit exactly! and the one I found does!.
We are installing a cupboard in the hallway so I have a place to keep all the odds and ends that end up in my bedroom if I'm not careful. We've measured that space a dozen times each time we find a different cupboard that 'might' fit. It's on order. Hope it fits.
But you just reminded me there's a big estate sale here today. I need to take a walk!

Yup measure measure and then measure again. When we started ours husband was a stickler on measuring the space BEFORE purchasing ANYTHING. Sorry you had to go through all that...but you live and you learn huh?

Nothing to do with measuring. Things are bigger, toilets were smaller and lower, things change, so when you update/renovate/redo anything even if it is minor it takes a whirlwind to get it all just right. Things look different in different rooms and angles, you don't know how you like it til it is in.

Nothing to do with measuring. Things are bigger, toilets were smaller and lower, things change, so when you update/renovate/redo anything even if it is minor it takes a whirlwind to get it all just right. Things look different in different rooms and angles, you don't know how you like it til it is in..
To install the new freestanding cupboard we have to remove a mirror. I will have to swap the big hallway mirror for a smaller mirror that is in a guest room. I may end up having to paint the frame as it's some weird-y lilac color.

Nothing to do with measuring. Things are bigger, toilets were smaller and lower, things change, so when you update/renovate/redo anything even if it is minor it takes a whirlwind to get it all just right. Things look different in different rooms and angles, you don't know how you like it til it is in..
To install the new freestanding cupboard we have to remove a mirror. I will have to swap the big hallway mirror for a smaller mirror that is in a guest room. I may end up having to paint the frame as it's some weird-y lilac color.
the easiest way is to tape paper over the glass and then spraypaint takes about 6 minutes did that with some ones with fricking awful flowers on the frames look much nicer in silver and very quick.

Amazing how furniture grows larger when you bring it home even if you have carefully measured. Must grow on the trip in the fresh air.
Kind of like the Christmas tree you went out and cut down.
Sorry to hear you are having so many problems.
Having some spacial ones myself.

Back