Time for New Computer

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay so I'm looking for something laptop/portable that can be used when my desktop is out of order - having problems now but need something to use while the desktop goes in for service.
Used to like Dell but the past three Dells have had the CD rom stop working on all of them so no Dell.
Looks like HP or Toshiba (sp??) are the most popular that I can see?
Riki.
egoodell said:
Okay so I'm looking for something laptop/portable that can be used when my desktop is out of order - having problems now but need something to use while the desktop goes in for service.
Used to like Dell but the past three Dells have had the CD rom stop working on all of them so no Dell.
Riki
I just had to go out and buy a new laptop. I got a Toshiba Satellite for a steal at microcenter.com
Works like a champ. And for the amount I paid for it, if it dies in the next 3 years, I won't feel bad about having to buy a new one. It was a one-time deal for $298. Out the door with as big of a memory upgrade as I could get, it was $350.
Retailed for $800 at the stores near it.

Riki.
egoodell said:
Riki
I just had to go out and buy a new laptop. I got a Toshiba Satellite for a steal at microcenter.com
Works like a champ. And for the amount I paid for it, if it dies in the next 3 years, I won't feel bad about having to buy a new one. It was a one-time deal for $298. Out the door with as big of a memory upgrade as I could get, it was $350.
Thanks for the info! Toshibas seem to be great laptops from what I can see!
Riki

Riki.
egoodell said:
Riki
Riki
Try www.microcenter.com
They usually have great deals. And they ship.

Riki.
egoodell said:
Riki
Riki
If you have the model number, try price checking what others have the price set for on pricegrabber.com but some sites don't show, like Amazon when they have a price you can't see until it's in your cart. But it will give you an idea of what a good price is.
egoodell said:
Riki

Riki.
egoodell said:
Riki
Riki
Try www.microcenter.com
Penny,
At these low prices does the computer come with any software? Winows 7 operating software?
I am wondering if I can contact Microsoft and tell them my laptop was damaged beyond repair (I have the guts and they can add my files and pictures to my new one but not the software) if they will allow me to load my software like Word on the new one from the one that was damaged?
Riki

Riki.
egoodell said:
Riki
Riki
Try www.microcenter.com
Penny,
At these low prices does the computer come with any software? Winows 7 operating software?
I am wondering if I can contact Microsoft and tell them my laptop was damaged beyond repair (I have the guts and they can add my files and pictures to my new one but not the software) if they will allow me to load my software like Word on the new one from the one that was damaged?
Riki
Uh...don't hold your breath!!! I don't think Microsoft will do anything for you.Don't waste your time. This all has to do with you computer, not the Microsoft. It doesn't work that way :-(
Most systems these days come preloaded with the Operating System and some basic software. It is all the other optional stuff you pay for.
If you look at the specs sheet here: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0353840 It tells you all the software that is loaded.
compare to these or similar: http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-14r/fs

Riki.
egoodell said:
Riki
Riki
Try www.microcenter.com
Penny,
Riki
egoodell said:
Penny,
Riki
Yes, it came with Windows 7. Some misc software that wasn't propiertary...

Riki.
egoodell said:
Riki
Riki
Try www.microcenter.com
Penny,
Riki
Is the Microsoft software on a Dell PC? If it is, then you are SOL as the licencing agreement with Dell specifies that the software is PC specific. Which is why I never buy licences from Dell. We had a server at a client damaged once (an employee who was embezzling and thought that would destroy the proof of their embezzlement) and when we went to order a new server Dell told us that we had to buy a totally new licence. We bought the licence directly from retail instead and had a transferable licence.
If you buy just a licence (ie the software is downloaded to your PC) then Microsoft Office for Small business is $200.
Or you could just use Google Docs or OpenOffice

Riki.
egoodell said:
Riki
Riki
Try www.microcenter.com
Penny,
Riki
Uh...don't hold your breath!!! I don't think Microsoft will do anything for you.Don't waste your time. This all has to do with you computer, not the Microsoft. It doesn't work that way :-(
Most systems these days come preloaded with the Operating System and some basic software. It is all the other optional stuff you pay for.
If you look at the specs sheet here: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0353840 It tells you all the software that is loaded.
catlady said:
It worked with my Photoshop software. It is good on two computers and I called them when my last one crashed and they allowed it to load on my second laptop from the disk. And I have the "brain" that is holding my files from the last damaged one. Best Buy says they often allow it if they believe that the former laptop is no more and they recycled it for me and I have the brain so they may allow it. But I can still get the Office softward from the university if they don't.
RIki

Riki.
egoodell said:
Riki
Riki
Try www.microcenter.com
Penny,
Riki
Is the Microsoft software on a Dell PC? If it is, then you are SOL as the licencing agreement with Dell specifies that the software is PC specific. Which is why I never buy licences from Dell. We had a server at a client damaged once (an employee who was embezzling and thought that would destroy the proof of their embezzlement) and when we went to order a new server Dell told us that we had to buy a totally new licence. We bought the licence directly from retail instead and had a transferable licence.
If you buy just a licence (ie the software is downloaded to your PC) then Microsoft Office for Small business is $200.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Nope it was with a HP that I bought at Best Buy and they were the ones that said try calling them when I loaded the software onto my new laptop. worked with Photoshop before.
I'm seeing a special at Best Buy for the same price as that Toshiba and it's an HP Pavillion that I had before and loved so I think I'm going to go for that again. It was great and is going for around $400.
RIki

For those of you who are looking for a simple/cheap desk top, I got an e-machine (my first emachine lasted 10 years) for approx. $300 at frys.com It's got Intel celeron and windows 7. It's perfect for use in the b&b. We've both got laptops that we use for our special personal work, so the desktop just needed to be reliable.

We need a new computer as well-thanks for starting this thread and we want anothet laptop-no desktop for us again, its too large and as we go from here to there the laptops are great, now a notepad-i don't know if i can do that since its so small and its hard enough for me to read the screen on a laptop-I prefer a larger screen.
We found that margaritas and laptops don't mix, the drink spilled on the keyboard and eventhough we dried it with blowdrier as soon as it happened, the keyboard is shot-took to shop it would not be worth fixing just buy a new one-yay!
I will be reading this thread alot.

We need a new computer as well-thanks for starting this thread and we want anothet laptop-no desktop for us again, its too large and as we go from here to there the laptops are great, now a notepad-i don't know if i can do that since its so small and its hard enough for me to read the screen on a laptop-I prefer a larger screen.
We found that margaritas and laptops don't mix, the drink spilled on the keyboard and eventhough we dried it with blowdrier as soon as it happened, the keyboard is shot-took to shop it would not be worth fixing just buy a new one-yay!
I will be reading this thread alot..
Ever happens again. Turn off the laptop immediately. Buy a large bag of rice. Put in the rice (and seal) to dry. Don't turn it on until it is fully dried. The rice will absorb the moisture. Works with almost all electronics. And you can eat the rice afterward.

This is the computer I use in my kitchen to take reservations.
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/gateway-gateway-zx-athlon-ii-240e-computer-with-21-5-touchscreen-monitor-zx4351-23c-zx4351-23c/10155492.aspx?path=5fad8c9a38042bcae447f3658ca491b7en02
It's a touchscreen All in one computer. It's easy to set up...the computer is built into the monitor. The touchscreen works really well. It's easy to mount, or you can just leave it on the stand.
Windows 7 works really well with touch input, and with updates, it's only getting better.

This is the computer I use in my kitchen to take reservations.
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/gateway-gateway-zx-athlon-ii-240e-computer-with-21-5-touchscreen-monitor-zx4351-23c-zx4351-23c/10155492.aspx?path=5fad8c9a38042bcae447f3658ca491b7en02
It's a touchscreen All in one computer. It's easy to set up...the computer is built into the monitor. The touchscreen works really well. It's easy to mount, or you can just leave it on the stand.
Windows 7 works really well with touch input, and with updates, it's only getting better..
That looks very cool too! I just checked Best Buy as well and they have the HP Pavillion which I liked and it looks on sale right now for around $400 so I think I'll check that out since that is in the ballpark with the others. I like HP and if it is on sale I'll save shipping costs.
RIki

About the only things at the Lodge that aren't Mac are our dual-band wireless router and our extenders. I used to work for a non-profit before we Saw The Light and bought a B&B, and I administered a Windows server farm. I always felt a little bit dirty every time I logged on.
We considered getting a WinComp when we bought the business, but eventually decided that on-line res maintenance would work for us best.
My true-believer Mac persona thinks that people with WIN machines are agents of Satan intent on destroying the universe, but being a librul, I realize that there are misguided souls out there who deserve our love and compassion regardless of what operating system they believe in and will eventually Come Home to the Truth if guided in a gentle and non-judgmental fashion to understand that they will go to hell if they don't have a Mac.

I actually got a HP Pavillion at Staples. They have much better service and less expensive than Best Buy. Fortunately my last computer like this one came with just the Windows 7, and I was able to install the Microsoft software that I bought for my last one. And I called the support line at Photoshop. Explained that I could not deactivate from the old powerbook as it was damaged and could not turn on. Asked if they could deactivate at their end which they cheerfully did for me. This way I could install and activate it on my new laptop (the software allows two computers).
So, it does pay to call and try. Worked for me! I will always buy my computers bare and install the software. If I had purchased my last laptop fully loaded I'm sure that I would not have been able to reload the software onto my new one.
RIki

Back