Time for New Computer

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmptyNest

Reaction score
Ok, I am fighting this computer of mine way too much. It is 5 years old and I think getting tired. Monitor won't turn off unless unplugged, half the letters are gone on the keyboard and not speedy enough these days.
So has anyone here bought a new desktop lately? Any recommendations? Don't say MAC...I would love it..but am not up for a totally new learning curve at this stage of my life.
I am considering the Dell XPS 8300. Any comments?
Thanks

I had my computer die (have had Toshiba, Sony, Dell in the past). My husband is our tech. expert & (was) pure PC. He said that if I got a Mac I was on my own. Well, I did & I know that you said that you aren't ready for a new learning curve, but it is EASY! & the GREATEST!
Thus, having said this, if you want more Mac info. I'd be glad to chime in again :)

Sorry, I'm a Mac person. There's not a learning curve for Mac. It's very intuitive.
I will say, however, that since most reservation software is written for the PC and because you probably have PC software, then I agree, you should stick with a PC.
Unless you are going to be doing three dimensional weather predictions in real time, you don't need a Cray super computer. Today's computers are more powerful than you can imagine. Consider this: the chip in your cell phone is more powerful than the computer that was aboard the Apollo spacecraft.
Look for the features and price range you want, and go with that. Whatever you buy will be obsolete as soon as you walk out the door.
cry_smile.gif
If you're planning to keep it for a long time, find out if the memory and harddrive can be easily upgraded in the future.
Features I would look for are: wireless connectivity (for your printer/scanner/fax as well), plenty of USB ports for peripherals and as much memory as you can afford. Harddrives are so huge now (in the terrabyte range) that usually whatever comes with it will suffice.
Consider getting an external drive for backups along with the requisite backup software.

Go with an Intel processor and as much memory as the thing will handle. In fact if it is a choice between the fastest processor with less memory or a slower processor with more memory, go for the MOST memory.
As far as brands... I've been partial to Dell, but I can't say there is good reason for that.

I don't personally believe in desktops anymore. I use a laptop (it's closed with a keyboard and monitor attached) so that if I need to, I can go anywhere with it.
Memory is the key today. For processor, use the list at http://www.cpubenchmark.net/ to see the value of one CPU over another. I prefer Intel for laptops and AMD for desktops. I don't buy Dell laptops, though. Usually Toshiba or Acer. For desktops, Dell or HP.

The only problems we have had with Dell is that the CD players always break.
Riki

I'm also using a MAC at work and not fond of it. Miss my PC at work. I'm sure Macs are great if you do loads of artwork, but I find the shortcuts clumsy and more clicking necessary than on the pc.
THe main thing I hate is to copy and past the shortcut on PC is comfortable 0 control &c
On the Mac I cannot understand why it is so awkward 0 command and c. Hate hate hate it.
RIki

I don't personally believe in desktops anymore. I use a laptop (it's closed with a keyboard and monitor attached) so that if I need to, I can go anywhere with it.
Memory is the key today. For processor, use the list at http://www.cpubenchmark.net/ to see the value of one CPU over another. I prefer Intel for laptops and AMD for desktops. I don't buy Dell laptops, though. Usually Toshiba or Acer. For desktops, Dell or HP..
Thanks I don't need a laptop. I have no need to take it anywhere. I am getting a desktop because I work strictly from home. If I ever need something for traveling for email I will be buying a tablet of some sort.

I'm also using a MAC at work and not fond of it. Miss my PC at work. I'm sure Macs are great if you do loads of artwork, but I find the shortcuts clumsy and more clicking necessary than on the pc.
THe main thing I hate is to copy and past the shortcut on PC is comfortable 0 control &c
On the Mac I cannot understand why it is so awkward 0 command and c. Hate hate hate it.
RIki.
I used Mac's 10 years ago in the Comm Tech Dept. I worked in but it was all self taught. I have used my friend's I MAC and it seems great, but I still putz at it as it is not all that familiar to me and I am not sure it is worth spending that much more and then spend more time at it learning to get comfortable with it. I have used Dreamweaver for the sites I create and will still need that for the past ones which I update. But since Wordpress..I am becoming quite proficient using that for sites now and it is all I use now. So much easier with the right templates you can edit.

It's a mean machine depending what price you are getting it for!
Personally i like assembled computers with AMD processor. Intel has proved to be always troublesome for me.
You can consider taking a tablet too.
And then there are Cnet reviews on it, which i feel are more technical than relevant for a regular computer user. I have never been able to make up my mind after reading their reviews, so it's your call.

This hp has been fine for more than a year now......before that had localy built......
Everything in my office appears to be hp......been very happy with their products.

I was a desktop person but I am glad I switched. The first time you are surfing Innspiring while sitting outside in the shade, you will thank the laptop crowd. I do connect an old time mouse to it though. I cannot think of any advantage to a desktop unless they are a lot cheaper. Cpu speed seems to not matter at all as we are mostly confined by internet speed these days. But I agree on lots of memory. It is cheap and anyone can put it in.

We are a house divided - I will not ever go back to a desktop again. My dh hates laptops - needs the regular keyboard, etc. So, I get that. But you might not want to totally rule out a laptop. I'm out on the porch A LOT with mine.
regular_smile.gif

I bought a larger screen laptop (Dell Studio) about a year ago which I didn't use much because I had a Dell Inspiron 6000 from 2003 which I toted around with me. (I had added memory to that laptop.) My Inspiron's screen recently died & now I'm on this newer one.
Agree with Swirt about memory and Intel processor. I can tell you why I've bought Dells - best bang for the buck. When I'm not mobile with the laptop, I've always used an external mouse of some sort. This machine is quick and great for media and doesn't take up a lot of room.
If it's too much to fix my old laptop so I have something to travel with, I'm going to buy a mini notebook or wait until the tablets come down in price. Even though my smartphone is powerful, the screen is still not quite large enough for some apps.
sad_smile.gif

I would read some of the trade journals that have comparison charts on desktops (Like PC World) and go for the best price for reliability, with the features you're looking for. Do you want a separate tower? Etc, etc. There's sooooooooo much out there, it's hard to give anyone specific advice!!

We are a house divided - I will not ever go back to a desktop again. My dh hates laptops - needs the regular keyboard, etc. So, I get that. But you might not want to totally rule out a laptop. I'm out on the porch A LOT with mine.
regular_smile.gif

I bought a larger screen laptop (Dell Studio) about a year ago which I didn't use much because I had a Dell Inspiron 6000 from 2003 which I toted around with me. (I had added memory to that laptop.) My Inspiron's screen recently died & now I'm on this newer one.
Agree with Swirt about memory and Intel processor. I can tell you why I've bought Dells - best bang for the buck. When I'm not mobile with the laptop, I've always used an external mouse of some sort. This machine is quick and great for media and doesn't take up a lot of room.
If it's too much to fix my old laptop so I have something to travel with, I'm going to buy a mini notebook or wait until the tablets come down in price. Even though my smartphone is powerful, the screen is still not quite large enough for some apps.
sad_smile.gif

I would read some of the trade journals that have comparison charts on desktops (Like PC World) and go for the best price for reliability, with the features you're looking for. Do you want a separate tower? Etc, etc. There's sooooooooo much out there, it's hard to give anyone specific advice!!.
If you look up "Which?" they are a charity that tests all sorts of things and reports back its all on their web site. But whatever you do don't be tempted into getting a package with a Lexmark printer because the cartridges cost more than buying a new printer every time.

regular_smile.gif

sad_smile.gif

I would read some of the trade journals that have comparison charts on desktops (Like PC World) and go for the best price for reliability, with the features you're looking for. Do you want a separate tower? Etc, etc. There's sooooooooo much out there, it's hard to give anyone specific advice!!.
I have read lots...too much I think. I am pretty set now on this Dell XPS 8300. Heck standard is a Terabyte hard drive...I haven't even filled the one I have currently, so I am sure that is plenty of space. I am going to get more memory... though again...tons more than I have already and this pretty much works for me until I get into graphics and web stuff together and then I get a low memory warning at times.
It is just the monitor now that is giving me fits. Some of their large monitors are not that adjustable. And some don't get good ratings. So I continue studying on that one for now. I am going with a desktop. I don't sit outside and do my web work. ...ha ha...maybe I should ...no..that won't work! And I have no need to check email when I travel...because we don't even travel all that much and I don't need to be "in touch" 24/7.

I will probably have to get a new computer, as my Dell I bought in 2001.How long do they last ? I turn it off when at work at the college.First computer I had was a Heath kit in 1971 and no on line then. Mary

I will probably have to get a new computer, as my Dell I bought in 2001.How long do they last ? I turn it off when at work at the college.First computer I had was a Heath kit in 1971 and no on line then. Mary.
Obviously yours is still working for you and if you have no complaints..why buy one ? But really...truly out of date if you bought in 2001. You will have a bit of a learning curve with a new one...unless you have a newer model at work you use :)

Okay so I'm looking for something laptop/portable that can be used when my desktop is out of order - having problems now but need something to use while the desktop goes in for service.
Used to like Dell but the past three Dells have had the CD rom stop working on all of them so no Dell.
Looks like HP or Toshiba (sp??) are the most popular that I can see?
Riki

Okay so I'm looking for something laptop/portable that can be used when my desktop is out of order - having problems now but need something to use while the desktop goes in for service.
Used to like Dell but the past three Dells have had the CD rom stop working on all of them so no Dell.
Riki.
Toshiba, Acer and HP are usually all fine. Samsung's model 9 is superthin. Techies prefer models from MSI and Asus, as they are the direct manufacturers of many of the motherboards.
You need to decide what factors are the most important for you. Screen resolution? Keyboard (alpha only or do you need the numeric keypad)? How many USB ports. Can you add a screen? Do you like the mouse/trackpad? Does it have Wireless N?
egoodell said:
Riki

Back