Time for new mattresses...Suggestions?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baygirl

Reaction score
Hi..
It's time to make the investment on new beds for the rooms. Thought I'd check to see what works or doesn't for some of you. I would like to keep a firm bed with some plushness. The beds we have now are over 10 yrs old. To e honest they have held up well, but are starting to show their age, plus they are a little too firm. I ended up putting the memory foam topper on them which helped some.
Hope you're all having a good weekend.

Ooops, Yes...mattresses...just updated the subject line.

I'm very fortunate to have a mattress factory in my town in Indiana. I got to talk to the people who make the mattresses as well as trying out lots of them.... I found that to be very helpful, because I'm not an expert. My personal mattress was 30 years old, and when we dismantled my parents household, I discovered their mattress was the one they had been using for 60+ years, so I come from a long line of indifferent sleepers.
My guests have been very complimentary about their beds, so it has worked out well. I have to admit that I purchased a new mattress from the same place for myself, but I can't tell a whole lot of difference
embaressed_smile.gif

I'm very fortunate to have a mattress factory in my town in Indiana. I got to talk to the people who make the mattresses as well as trying out lots of them.... I found that to be very helpful, because I'm not an expert. My personal mattress was 30 years old, and when we dismantled my parents household, I discovered their mattress was the one they had been using for 60+ years, so I come from a long line of indifferent sleepers.
My guests have been very complimentary about their beds, so it has worked out well. I have to admit that I purchased a new mattress from the same place for myself, but I can't tell a whole lot of difference
embaressed_smile.gif
30 years!! oh my!! We get a new mattress every 10 years....for an anniversary present:)

A minimum of 25 years ago (maybe more because I cannot remember) a mattress saleman told DH this was teh last mattress we would ever have to buy - and he believed him!
Since I rearranged Rosi's Room, I have been eyeballing and am very close to actually measuring to replace all the beds in the B & B - actually 2 because I think I can move the one queen up there without dismantling the frame (I hope). The measurements will be the deciding factor, but I think I can put queens where I hve full and a king in the room with the private bath. It will not be a 4-poster because I think that wil shrink the room but I do think a king will go OK. Major change with rate hikes.
I am almost ready to try going back to a full-size so I can have a solid mattress again.

A minimum of 25 years ago (maybe more because I cannot remember) a mattress saleman told DH this was teh last mattress we would ever have to buy - and he believed him!
Since I rearranged Rosi's Room, I have been eyeballing and am very close to actually measuring to replace all the beds in the B & B - actually 2 because I think I can move the one queen up there without dismantling the frame (I hope). The measurements will be the deciding factor, but I think I can put queens where I hve full and a king in the room with the private bath. It will not be a 4-poster because I think that wil shrink the room but I do think a king will go OK. Major change with rate hikes.
I am almost ready to try going back to a full-size so I can have a solid mattress again..
We put a king in where it just squeaked in. I had to buy 2 new nightstands that were no more than 12" square and, as it is, the door hits one and the other is up against the wall on the other side. The king is easier than the queen because it's the boxspring that's the problem in re getting around in these old houses. The guys who deliverd the king bed just folded the mattress in half.
As to the original question...we also have a local mattress maker and that's who we use. I got firm mattresses and topped them with really cushy mattress pads. So you get the 'ah' but not the backache from too soft.

embaressed_smile.gif
30 years!! oh my!! We get a new mattress every 10 years....for an anniversary present:)
catlady said:
I'm 2 mattresses behind in that case! Next month I order the new mattress, tho. Can't wait.

I am almost ready to try going back to a full-size so I can have a solid mattress again..
We put a king in where it just squeaked in. I had to buy 2 new nightstands that were no more than 12" square and, as it is, the door hits one and the other is up against the wall on the other side. The king is easier than the queen because it's the boxspring that's the problem in re getting around in these old houses. The guys who deliverd the king bed just folded the mattress in half.
As to the original question...we also have a local mattress maker and that's who we use. I got firm mattresses and topped them with really cushy mattress pads. So you get the 'ah' but not the backache from too soft.
Morticia said:
The king is easier than the queen because it's the boxspring that's the problem in re getting around in these old houses.
It's not too difficult to get a split queen boxspring these days. After having to saw a queen box in half about 20 years ago, that's all we've ever ordered since then. One way that our love of old houses has made us think differently.

I get alot of compliments on my mattresses, just 5 years old. I bought them at American Mattress-they are called Rhone.

Morticia said:
The king is easier than the queen because it's the boxspring that's the problem in re getting around in these old houses.
It's not too difficult to get a split queen boxspring these days. After having to saw a queen box in half about 20 years ago, that's all we've ever ordered since then. One way that our love of old houses has made us think differently.
Doesn't that require a different kind of frame then? Or is the boxspring split 'east to west' instead of 'north to south'?

Morticia said:
Doesn't that require a different kind of frame then? Or is the boxspring split 'east to west' instead of 'north to south'?
No, north to south. You do have to make sure you have a frame that has middle supports and slats that run 'east to west'. We don't have any problems with our locally made beds with standard frames. Our canopy beds which lack slats have non-split boxsprings and mattresses.

embaressed_smile.gif
catlady said:
I'm 2 mattresses behind in that case! Next month I order the new mattress, tho. Can't wait.
You know.... I was thinking...I don't think my mother has ever gotten a new mattress that I know of....Geez....and she is 95. Hmmm I will have to ask her about this. I know she won't get one now;-)

We use Seeley they are a company that makes for the hotel insustry and hold up very well. (may be Sealey)

Plus if you are going to replace them all make sure you bargain for a bulk discount.

We use Seeley they are a company that makes for the hotel insustry and hold up very well. (may be Sealey).
The original mattresses here are Serta and they are holding up very well. They are the 'hotel grade' ones. We started replacing the double beds with the local manufacturer's beds, tho.

Plus if you are going to replace them all make sure you bargain for a bulk discount..
We go to a local home furnishing store and get a bulk discount and we also purchase mattresses manufactured in our state.
It is good to support local businesses as well good point breakfast DIVA. You (I don't mean you personally I mean the innkeeper in question) has to be sure they are good quality. It is good to see and feel one in person and have a lie on it. DH and I are looking to buy a new personal on and I have been lying on all the ones in the shop. They think I am bonkers but I am the one who has to sleep on it!

Plus if you are going to replace them all make sure you bargain for a bulk discount..
We go to a local home furnishing store and get a bulk discount and we also purchase mattresses manufactured in our state.
It is good to support local businesses as well good point breakfast DIVA. You (I don't mean you personally I mean the innkeeper in question) has to be sure they are good quality. It is good to see and feel one in person and have a lie on it. DH and I are looking to buy a new personal on and I have been lying on all the ones in the shop. They think I am bonkers but I am the one who has to sleep on it!
Well how else can you tell if it is right for you except to lay on the mattress? I would never buy one without trying it out. The last one I picked...I laid on it for about a half hour. I told the salesman to go away and leave me alone so I could test it out. Now...8 years later, I wish I had stayed on it longer :-( Time to think about another one. NO more pillow tops for me.

Back