Time to replace Towels etc etc

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hesitate to buy from anyplace that I can't actually feel the towels! Weight and other 'numbers' don't really mean anything concrete to me..
Aussie Innkeeper said:
I hesitate to buy from anyplace that I can't actually feel the towels! Weight and other 'numbers' don't really mean anything concrete to me.
Absolutely! I do know the Turkish towels come in 2 different lines. The more expensive line is really plush. Absolutely love that one. BUT, guests are harsh on the towels with all their potions and lotions so we buy less expensive towels that can be recycled without feeling like, 'There's another $15-$20 out the window.'

I hesitate to buy from anyplace that I can't actually feel the towels! Weight and other 'numbers' don't really mean anything concrete to me..
Aussie Innkeeper said:
I hesitate to buy from anyplace that I can't actually feel the towels! Weight and other 'numbers' don't really mean anything concrete to me.
Absolutely! I do know the Turkish towels come in 2 different lines. The more expensive line is really plush. Absolutely love that one. BUT, guests are harsh on the towels with all their potions and lotions so we buy less expensive towels that can be recycled without feeling like, 'There's another $15-$20 out the window.'
Madeleine said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
We do the same at Mattie. I actually like the feel better of the less expensive towel.

Aussie Innkeeper said:
Madeleine said:
Aussie Innkeeper said:
We do the same at Mattie. I actually like the feel better of the less expensive towel.
yup feels better on your peace of mind!

Hi, I'm a new innkeeper (2 months tomorrow!). When do you know it is time to replace sheets and towels? We use all white, but do you replace anything frayed, anything dull, and anything stained? Some of the older sheets are pretty soft.

Hi, I'm a new innkeeper (2 months tomorrow!). When do you know it is time to replace sheets and towels? We use all white, but do you replace anything frayed, anything dull, and anything stained? Some of the older sheets are pretty soft..
Soft is ok, see thru is not. Raggedy edges not ok. Stains definitely not ok.

Ok, this is what we've done-(8 yrs of innkeeping) if you have found the sheets that meets your quality standards ( we like sams sheets and our guests did too) and you know that they are easily replaceable so that you can ensure that they are the same as one that needs replacing instead of having different types...replace as they frey, or rip or stain- this way you don't have to spend lots of $$ replacing an entire Inn. Suppliers generally require large quantities unless you have the room to store, its just not worth it to do.
We buy the towels from Khols, or BJ's-they are plush and nice and last, and don't cost an arm and a leg, I would never buy a towel for 14-15 $ for a b&B unless of course you have an Inn that has $300.00/night room. We found that when we try out towels its good to buy one and wash them at least 10 times before you make a decision which one to buy. Wash in hot water....

Hi, I'm a new innkeeper (2 months tomorrow!). When do you know it is time to replace sheets and towels? We use all white, but do you replace anything frayed, anything dull, and anything stained? Some of the older sheets are pretty soft..
jts-only time we replace is if they are stained ripped or otherwise really worn out. Most sheets get softer as you wash them. Why replace if you don't have to? I say its wasted money.

Towels are usually easy to tell, look for fraying, holes.
Sheets basically you don't want any holes or stains. Frays that can be seen by the guests are a no-no as well. But I have sheets that are still great after 5 years. I've had some that haven't lasted that long.
With sheets thread count has a great influence over longevity. The higher a thread count (real, but faked... yes, they fake thread counts!) the shorter the life of the sheets because high thread counts mean thinner threads, which wear through easier.

My sheets come from Comphy Co, and I also participate in their retail program. Makes me a little extra money, and it's so nice to hear how much the guests enjoyed them. They are treated with a stain release, and dry in 10 minutes with virtually no wrinkling. They're guaranteed for 300 washings, and the staff is a pleasure to work with.

My towels come from Sam's Club = about $7/towel, $4/hand towel, $2/washcloth. I buy white only, and bleach them every wash, whether they need it or not. I've been very happy with them..
me too banana- we buy the sheets from Sam's too-they hold up pretty good and are quite soft.

jts-only time we replace is if they are stained ripped or otherwise really worn out. Most sheets get softer as you wash them. Why replace if you don't have to? I say its wasted money.
Thanks for the reply. I agree - they aren't really ragged, just starting to fray, which I see since I handle them daily. The stains are more like streaks of mascara (yes, we provide brown cloths).

Soft is ok, see thru is not. Raggedy edges not ok. Stains definitely not ok.
Thanks, yes, I can't imagine see-thru!

I use National Hospitality out of Wisconsin. They seem to specialize in smaller inns, motels as well. I have seen half dozens offered. Most items you only have to buy one dozen. (Still too many for the shower curtains I lust for.) They will set up a commercial credit account, send catalogs way too often but are great taking orders over the phone. They will even send samples. Oh and by the way, their microfiber sheets are the bomb! Softer and silkier than much more expensive ones, dry very fast and resist stains. Wide selection of towels. I buy a dozen of any new types I want to try, try them out until I need to reorder and then stock up,

I use National Hospitality out of Wisconsin. They seem to specialize in smaller inns, motels as well. I have seen half dozens offered. Most items you only have to buy one dozen. (Still too many for the shower curtains I lust for.) They will set up a commercial credit account, send catalogs way too often but are great taking orders over the phone. They will even send samples. Oh and by the way, their microfiber sheets are the bomb! Softer and silkier than much more expensive ones, dry very fast and resist stains. Wide selection of towels. I buy a dozen of any new types I want to try, try them out until I need to reorder and then stock up,.
Old thread.
I think people prefer not dredging up old threads. At least mention that it is.

I use National Hospitality out of Wisconsin. They seem to specialize in smaller inns, motels as well. I have seen half dozens offered. Most items you only have to buy one dozen. (Still too many for the shower curtains I lust for.) They will set up a commercial credit account, send catalogs way too often but are great taking orders over the phone. They will even send samples. Oh and by the way, their microfiber sheets are the bomb! Softer and silkier than much more expensive ones, dry very fast and resist stains. Wide selection of towels. I buy a dozen of any new types I want to try, try them out until I need to reorder and then stock up,.
Old thread.
undersea said:
Old thread.
A spammer brought up the thread, was booted post haste, but no way to make the thread go back where it was.

Old thread.
undersea said:
Old thread.
A spammer brought up the thread, was booted post haste, but no way to make the thread go back where it was.
For some reason, this thread seems to be spammer heaven. If you see a spammer posting random links, please 'flag as offensive' so Swirt can make the spammer go away!

Outside the Hurricane windows and doors season window film works on many other functions. This image has helped save thousands of lives during an accident and provided some protection during the September 11 attacks. In connection with all the benefits that it provides Florida windows and doors car windshields, are now increasingly equipped with valuable image.

Back