Time wasting game - no availability calendar

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Without an availability calendar on a B&B website - it is just a time wasting game. For this destination - if I use a hotel website I can see right then and there if I can have a room or not and book it. I am, as usual, trying to coordinate two things at once, and I cannot get the cart before the horse, meanwhile the horse is about the leave the stable!
I am waiting for an inn to reply IF they have availability or not, so we can say affirmatively yes to the other half of the trip. I am thankful for multiple browser windows. See y'all I try to book at B&B's but it ends up frustrating me most of the time. I am sharing this with you - to say - if you don't have availability calendar or real time online reservations - please get them. You do not know the bookings you lose from those who get frustrated or pass on to the next one they can find and "easily" book.

In a nutshell...I have no patience. I want to do this now while I am here, I can't come back later and do it, so if I cannot book a room with you right now, then I will move on and book elsewhere.

I totally get this. Especially here. We tried to book back in Nov for a getaway. I found lots of places to stay and was happily planning away, checking how close to everything the place was, prices, etc and then got all the way to the booking part only to see, about 10 clicks in, that the place was CLOSED as of Oct 12. It happened time and time again.
People! I do not know you are seasonal unless you tell me! Right up front. On the home page. 'See you in May! Thanks for a wonderful season!'
There is one place I will call for reservations. We've been there, it's right where we want to be, and the price is right but it still annoys me that I don't know which rooms are open, just that rooms are open. (Which is a gigantic improvement over last year- something I talked them into!)
What I don't get about this place, either, is that I called this year to reserve and had to give them all my info again- they have no guest info on file. They also do not send a confirmation, give directions, anything. (Which may be why they are $85/night and the place around the corner is $200.)
However, I think we're both preaching to the choir here. My guess is most everyone on here has some sort of online booking.

Morticia - However, I think we're both preaching to the choir here. My guess is most everyone on here has some sort of online booking. I think we should never stop beating this drum, some people do not hear the drum beat the first 100 times, the more they hear it the more the beat gets stuck in their heads.

In a nutshell...I have no patience. I want to do this now while I am here, I can't come back later and do it, so if I cannot book a room with you right now, then I will move on and book elsewhere..
You said it. Of course most of us here have it...but those who don't...probably don't have a decent web site either. If someone makes me email them a request...I will just pass them by. ANd i am surprised at some of the Upscale places who are friends of mine...still don't have on line availablity...weird!!!!

Morticia - However, I think we're both preaching to the choir here. My guess is most everyone on here has some sort of online booking. I think we should never stop beating this drum, some people do not hear the drum beat the first 100 times, the more they hear it the more the beat gets stuck in their heads..
Ditto.

In a nutshell...I have no patience. I want to do this now while I am here, I can't come back later and do it, so if I cannot book a room with you right now, then I will move on and book elsewhere..
You said it. Of course most of us here have it...but those who don't...probably don't have a decent web site either. If someone makes me email them a request...I will just pass them by. ANd i am surprised at some of the Upscale places who are friends of mine...still don't have on line availablity...weird!!!!
Yes! Upscale places that act like they're not when it comes to letting guests just book without the third degree. I'll say again that a lot of people find my phone number and never see the website, but those are getting fewer. Most are at least looking at the website and then calling. And a lot of them know the room they want is open. They just want to call. OK by me, but at least they didn't buzz by to find a place that had an avail calendar.
I may start a poll...'Have you seen the website? Why did you opt to call instead of booking online?' I may find out they never even looked at the calendar, didn't know there was such a thing (need different phrasing), just wanted to see if I was friendly, whatever.

Yes! Upscale places that act like they're not when it comes to letting guests just book without the third degree. I'll say again that a lot of people find my phone number and never see the website, but those are getting fewer. Most are at least looking at the website and then calling. And a lot of them know the room they want is open. They just want to call. OK by me, but at least they didn't buzz by to find a place that had an avail calendar.
I may start a poll...'Have you seen the website? Why did you opt to call instead of booking online?' I may find out they never even looked at the calendar, didn't know there was such a thing (need different phrasing), just wanted to see if I was friendly, whatever.
I am sure that is why lots of people just call. They think they can tell alot by just talking to someone...hopefully the innkeeper. And..many innkeepers feel the same about talking with guests. I think if I had talked to some of my guests I would never have taken them :-(

I am sure that is why lots of people just call. They think they can tell alot by just talking to someone...hopefully the innkeeper. And..many innkeepers feel the same about talking with guests. I think if I had talked to some of my guests I would never have taken them :-(
catlady said:
Gomez says to never judge the guest on the phone. He's usually right but if I have a really bad feeling, I'm usually right. Some guests are trying to book really fast while on company time or while driving down the road or whatever other distraction is making them grumpy. (One guest today had no internet service. Luckily, he had written it all down yesterday.')
I was 'rushed' off the phone today by 2 guests who booked and then were 'done talking.' Ok then. They probably just had something else to do besides chat with me.

Unfortunately, or fortunately some innkeepers are very intuitive and ...well...the rest is Pita history. But only if it is a very strong instinct, of course people are rushed or tired or "stepford guests" etc.

I totally get this. Especially here. We tried to book back in Nov for a getaway. I found lots of places to stay and was happily planning away, checking how close to everything the place was, prices, etc and then got all the way to the booking part only to see, about 10 clicks in, that the place was CLOSED as of Oct 12. It happened time and time again.
People! I do not know you are seasonal unless you tell me! Right up front. On the home page. 'See you in May! Thanks for a wonderful season!'
There is one place I will call for reservations. We've been there, it's right where we want to be, and the price is right but it still annoys me that I don't know which rooms are open, just that rooms are open. (Which is a gigantic improvement over last year- something I talked them into!)
What I don't get about this place, either, is that I called this year to reserve and had to give them all my info again- they have no guest info on file. They also do not send a confirmation, give directions, anything. (Which may be why they are $85/night and the place around the corner is $200.)
However, I think we're both preaching to the choir here. My guess is most everyone on here has some sort of online booking..
I have been google searching websites, just to look a lots and get ideas. One thing I was surprised at is how many don't say what TOWN they are in right up top. If I am looking in a rural area, I suppose I could assume it is where I want to go, but in a more populated area, I have to click around to find out if that is the "town" I am going to.
Same thing holds for blogs too. I will be reading one and think, where the heck is Somethingsburg? Fine if they know about you first, but a small thing to add the state and inform those who came via somewhere else?
Excuse me if my ignorance is showing here..just quietly confused again.

However, I think we're both preaching to the choir here. My guess is most everyone on here has some sort of online booking..
I have been google searching websites, just to look a lots and get ideas. One thing I was surprised at is how many don't say what TOWN they are in right up top. If I am looking in a rural area, I suppose I could assume it is where I want to go, but in a more populated area, I have to click around to find out if that is the "town" I am going to.
Same thing holds for blogs too. I will be reading one and think, where the heck is Somethingsburg? Fine if they know about you first, but a small thing to add the state and inform those who came via somewhere else?
white pine said:
I've noticed that a lot, too. It is usually in the title bar at the top, but not always (Town and county, I mean).
What REALLY annoys me is when you can't figure out news stations and newspapers online. Channel 8 WHERE???? County, but what STATE??? Just a quiet head shake and away i go.

white pine said:
You scared me so I went and made sure I had the name of the town and the state right at the top!

white pine said:
I've noticed that a lot, too. It is usually in the title bar at the top, but not always (Town and county, I mean).
What REALLY annoys me is when you can't figure out news stations and newspapers online. Channel 8 WHERE???? County, but what STATE??? Just a quiet head shake and away i go.
Agreed. Online they have to put the town and state (or county, if that is how it is done), but town and state are a must!

white pine said:
Agreed. Online they have to put the town and state (or county, if that is how it is done), but town and state are a must!
I saw one the other day that was "Channel 8". No town. No county. No state ANYWHERE above the scroll line. I couldn't believe it.

Are you referring to the title tab in a browser when you open a website?
If so, talk to me, I hear ya, I am on Twitter and when I use Hootsuite it comes up BLANK when they don't have anything there in the title area of the tab.

white pine said:
Notice I have not posted a ton of Inn the News lately? I find the same thing, I have absolutely NO IDEA where this News source is located and who they are writing about on their website.

white pine said:
You scared me so I went and made sure I had the name of the town and the state right at the top!
Guess I wasn't wrong. I really was amazed at how much I was reading, wondering where the heck it was. Some B&B web pages don't mention their state. I looked at a few very carefully; I could usually figure it out by their references to sites nearby, but some I couldn't! Granted, I'm new to this, but it should be easy to see I should think. Been clicking everywhere, not just here
regular_smile.gif

white pine said:
Guess I wasn't wrong. I really was amazed at how much I was reading, wondering where the heck it was. Some B&B web pages don't mention their state. I looked at a few very carefully; I could usually figure it out by their references to sites nearby, but some I couldn't! Granted, I'm new to this, but it should be easy to see I should think. Been clicking everywhere, not just here
regular_smile.gif

white pine said:
regular_smile.gif
Being new to it is the point. You are looking and you're not seeing. Just like a guest.

Back