Time Zone Tyrants

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
They checked in and let us know that if they are not down by 10am then they are skipping breakfast.
I reminded them breakfast is served at 9am. They said, so then by 10am if we are not there that means we won't be showing. (Breakfast will be over by 10am fyi).
They told me they are on the west coast time zone, so it would be impossible to be here at 9am. I asked if they just flew in today? No, three days ago. They also required a special diet, why? Because they are from The Bay area of CALF.
I said, So if you are not at the table at 9am I will say you won't be down for breakfast, or you can just tell me now if you want to sleep in. (After all I actually have to be up preparing and cooking breakfast).
I'm sorry, did I miss something? You go somewhere and force that place to bend to your will? Another room arrived after 10pm, wonder if they will decide to show up or decide that they cannot make breakfast due to the time?
UPDATE: They left us a note saying they would be here for breakfast. Updated update - they showed at 915am. Held the table hostage, I told the other guests to please begin, as people will no-show for breakfast.

We've had that a couple of times. Last time they were coming in from France! They said they would never be up in time for breakfast, but I think that was more because of the extensive day of travel. They were up by 6. We eventually fed all 6 of them by 9.

And, really, it has nothing to do with time zones or anything else, it is imposing their will upon others. Making sure we know they are in charge.
Oops, no. We do what we do so everyone has an enjoyable stay, not just them.

I had someone holding a table today. Her room key and her pills lined up on the table. Her? In the living room chatting away.
If I did a single seating it would be on time. When the church bells struck the hour, food on the table. I would remove the other place settings so the guests who do show up don't think they should wait. ANd the late arrivals would need to seat themselves wherever room was left.
Rude is rude. Like our former guests who used to be 5 minutes late for each other. It would eventually escalate so together they were an hour late for whatever because they had to play these P-A games with each other.

I have the opposite problem (opposite time zone). Breakfast here is at 9:00 or 9:30. They want breakfast at 6:00. Nope, not gonna happen. On every room page breakfast time is stated. Anything other than that gets a continental. We have biscotti and hot beverages available to them 24 hours. I figure they can get up. have a cuppa and a biscotti and hold off until the rest of the world in our time zone wakes up.
Really, it's just not our problem what time zone these people are in! They're the ones that know how hungry they will be in the am or how much they want to sleep. These folks are mostly all arriving to our places in car. They should have stopped and gotten some small food items to snack on. As you said JB, it's just plain rude.
I also encourage them if they are early birds to go and walk on the beach or take a walk in the morning, then come back for breakfast. Sheesh, they're like a bunch of 5 year olds sometimes.

I have the opposite problem (opposite time zone). Breakfast here is at 9:00 or 9:30. They want breakfast at 6:00. Nope, not gonna happen. On every room page breakfast time is stated. Anything other than that gets a continental. We have biscotti and hot beverages available to them 24 hours. I figure they can get up. have a cuppa and a biscotti and hold off until the rest of the world in our time zone wakes up.
Really, it's just not our problem what time zone these people are in! They're the ones that know how hungry they will be in the am or how much they want to sleep. These folks are mostly all arriving to our places in car. They should have stopped and gotten some small food items to snack on. As you said JB, it's just plain rude.
I also encourage them if they are early birds to go and walk on the beach or take a walk in the morning, then come back for breakfast. Sheesh, they're like a bunch of 5 year olds sometimes..
I have no problem going from my coast to yours. It's the trip back that kills me. I must have been born in the wrong state!

Have these idiots never traveled before? Get a grip. What are they going to do when they travel out of the country when there's a 12 hour time difference. Adapt or die!

Have these idiots never traveled before? Get a grip. What are they going to do when they travel out of the country when there's a 12 hour time difference. Adapt or die!.
Proud Texan said:
Have these idiots never traveled before? Get a grip. What are they going to do when they travel out of the country when there's a 12 hour time difference. Adapt or die!
I have first hand experience what they do...they pull the same crap overseas. Sleeping in until 10 and then expecting the innkeeper to throw something together 'for the kids'. BS. If they get coddled, they never learn. And, in turn, they inflict their tyranny on others.

"They stay they pay they go away"
How adorable.
I find a note on the dining table - I already have breakfast started in the kitchen that states "Dear JB, we would only like toast and bananas this morning (if you have them), thank you" your CALF guests.
Today is:
  1. Ripe Cantelope and kiwi fruit starter
  2. Pecan pancakes, with scrambled eggs, thick sliced bacon, strawberries
  3. oj, coffee
They will get the fruit starter and coffee/oj. Did someone say I am a short order cook? BTW An innkeeper COULD get a complex, but we have repeat guests enroute to Pigeon Forge TN from VA Beach who came here specifically because they love my breakfasts! They tell me that, they went out of their way to stay with us on their way.
teeth_smile.gif
Those are the guests I pour my all into. In their room were flowers (posies) with a note "WELCOME HOME!"

How adorable.
I find a note on the dining table - I already have breakfast started in the kitchen that states "Dear JB, we would only like toast and bananas this morning (if you have them), thank you" your CALF guests.
Today is:
  3. oj, coffee
They will get the fruit starter and coffee/oj. Did someone say I am a short order cook? BTW An innkeeper COULD get a complex, but we have repeat guests enroute to Pigeon Forge TN from VA Beach who came here specifically because they love my breakfasts! They tell me that, they went out of their way to stay with us on their way.
teeth_smile.gif
Those are the guests I pour my all into. In their room were flowers (posies) with a note "WELCOME HOME!"

Joey Bloggs said:
"we have repeat guests enroute to Pigeon Forge TN from VA Beach who came here specifically because they love my breakfasts! They tell me that, they went out of their way to stay with us on their way.
teeth_smile.gif

Awesome!

also when I moved to the US for 6 months from the UK got on the right time difference straight away as it is common sense! did not expect people to change for moi!

also when I moved to the US for 6 months from the UK got on the right time difference straight away as it is common sense! did not expect people to change for moi!.
Absolutely, Cambs! When we travel, my dh is always saying, "We're still on East Coast U.S. time!" No, dude, we are on the time of where we currently are! Get with it! hahahahahahaha....

How adorable.
Today is:
  3. oj, coffee
teeth_smile.gif

That is a wonderful feeling and music to an innkeeper's ears!
I had a call this morning from my guest expected with 2 horses and a dog on the 23rd. She had just crossed the Border and the Customs guy gave her forms dated 8/22. "Is today the 22nd?" Customs, "yes." Lady, "Really???" Customs, "Yes." Phone call was a frantic can I come today? Of course. She has apologized for paying by check (with generous tip - again) but she spent all her cash, and wants me to just do breakfast to go because she wants to get an early start and if she wakes up at 3 AM, she wants to just leave and not make me get up to fix breakfast. THEN she puts the icing on the cake - "This is the best B & B I have stayed in. I cannot believe I did not find you sooner."
Congrats, JB, I hope those wonderful travel out of their way guests shoved the memory of the PITAs to the outer regions of banishment.
(I adjusted to German time overnight - coming home it took longer, maybe because we came home and had to "dive in')

And, really, it has nothing to do with time zones or anything else, it is imposing their will upon others. Making sure we know they are in charge.
Oops, no. We do what we do so everyone has an enjoyable stay, not just them..
I found something awesome about this on google and I want u to check it out.

Back