Timing is everything! And this time, it was good tim8ng!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBeachHouse

Reaction score
As you know, the Northeast is in the middle of a violent wind and rain (and snow, but not here) storm right now. In our area, we had wind gusts over 70! Trees down, power outages, flooded streets, the usual. We lost power from 2 am until 7 am.

Anyway, the timing part, we had earlier noticed no reservations for last night and in a moment of weakness (or self preservation), we closed the house for last night hoping for a golf or beach day for us today! The bad news? No golf or beach day today. The good news? We didn’t have a collection of scared guests up all night listening to the wind on an old, creaky house! We didn’t have to fire up the generator to light the house in the dead of night. No worries about flooded driveways or missed flights. Just us. Cozy in our bed. With responsibility only for ourselves. We turned over and went back to sleep.

Timing was on our side this time!

Nor’Easters were always scary. For all the reasons you mention. Several years ago we lost power for a week. The rest of the town got power back within two days. We were in the dark for seven days. We were the last house to get power back. We had to cancel reservations.

I just escaped the west coast wallup. Like you, I had previously blocked off indoor guests, although one of the stand-alones was booked. I let them know the forecast and advised bringing flashlights in case of an outage. They decided to come. If they did experience an outage, they didn’t communicate it to me. They were Air guests and have written a review. I won’t review until I‘ve been there to clean, likely tomorrow. They are repeat guests so I hope all was well.
No loss of power here. Plenty of wood for cheerful heat. Grateful.

Edited to add: if they lost power at all it wasn’t an issue with them. They left a glowing review saying they wouldn’t mind living there full time. They storm-watched from safe places. I had warned them to stay clear of the jetties. No need. They were familiar with the area.

Wishing you all the best for the winter season. The wild weather started early this year!

Last edited:
As you know, the Northeast is in the middle of a violent wind and rain (and snow, but not here) storm right now. In our area, we had wind gusts over 70! Trees down, power outages, flooded streets, the usual. We lost power from 2 am until 7 am.

Anyway, the timing part, we had earlier noticed no reservations for last night and in a moment of weakness (or self preservation), we closed the house for last night hoping for a golf or beach day for us today! The bad news? No golf or beach day today. The good news? We didn’t have a collection of scared guests up all night listening to the wind on an old, creaky house! We didn’t have to fire up the generator to light the house in the dead of night. No worries about flooded driveways or missed flights. Just us. Cozy in our bed. With responsibility only for ourselves. We turned over and went back to sleep.

Timing was on our side this time!
Whew! We had gusts over 80 and lost power, internet, etc. We were among the lucky a got power back within 24 hours. Many in our area are still out. Like you I was thanking my lucky stars we closed a couple of weeks ago. Out here in the middle of the Atlantic it can get pretty wild! Take a look!

Attachments

• 9B769FD6-ACD3-41F3-B8C1-F98F872FFA4E.MOV
    12.8 MB
Whew! We had gusts over 80 and lost power, internet, etc. We were among the lucky a got power back within 24 hours. Many in our area are still out. Like you I was thanking my lucky stars we closed a couple of weeks ago. Out here in the middle of the Atlantic it can get pretty wild! Take a look!
I couldn’t open the vid on my iPad, but very glad you had no serious damage. <3

Back