Tiny hotel room may fit shrunken travel budgets

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
Tiny hotel room may fit shrunken travel budgets
NEW YORK (AP) - A New York hotel with luxury sheets and state-of-the-art audio for less than $100 a night? All you have to sacrifice is a bit of privacy and a little—well, a lot—of space. click here for article
From JBJ Anyone who has cruised will find this scenario familiar.

I am certain it WOULD have flat screen tv's. DOH!
And there is that word which we accurately identified on this forum as not a good word for a B&B to use "CHARMING."

The Pod hotel - one of the first micro-room hotels in NYC - was just about three doors away from our apartment when we lived in the city. It was a different name then, and not hip, but the rooms were very small. My father stayed there once while visiting me (no guest rooms in Manhattan apartments) and said he could sit on the bed and reach in to flush the toilet.

sounds like this
cell0705.jpg

The Pod hotel - one of the first micro-room hotels in NYC - was just about three doors away from our apartment when we lived in the city. It was a different name then, and not hip, but the rooms were very small. My father stayed there once while visiting me (no guest rooms in Manhattan apartments) and said he could sit on the bed and reach in to flush the toilet..
I used to live 6 blocks from The Pod Hotel in NYC .... If I'm remembering correctly it used to be The Pickwick Arms.
These "micro" room hotels always make me think of the Japanese Capsule Hotels. I'm sure that's next. I noted with interest that the Capsule hotels now have "women only" floors and I found one that has the equivalent of a "girls getaway" room - a separate room with a table and chairs and four capsules stacked 2 on 2.

The Pod hotel - one of the first micro-room hotels in NYC - was just about three doors away from our apartment when we lived in the city. It was a different name then, and not hip, but the rooms were very small. My father stayed there once while visiting me (no guest rooms in Manhattan apartments) and said he could sit on the bed and reach in to flush the toilet..
I used to live 6 blocks from The Pod Hotel in NYC .... If I'm remembering correctly it used to be The Pickwick Arms.
These "micro" room hotels always make me think of the Japanese Capsule Hotels. I'm sure that's next. I noted with interest that the Capsule hotels now have "women only" floors and I found one that has the equivalent of a "girls getaway" room - a separate room with a table and chairs and four capsules stacked 2 on 2.
You're exactly right!! We were on 51st St. near the corner of 2nd Ave., just a few doors down from the Pickwick, from mid-'97 to around the end of 2000. You must have been nearby. Rosa Mexicano was one of our favorite restaurants - now they have one open in DC.
They are like the capsule hotels, I think. I'm pretty sure my father would go along with the comparison to the jail cell. He only made that trip once.

You're exactly right!! We were on 51st St. near the corner of 2nd Ave., just a few doors down from the Pickwick, from mid-'97 to around the end of 2000. You must have been nearby. Rosa Mexicano was one of our favorite restaurants - now they have one open in DC.
They are like the capsule hotels, I think. I'm pretty sure my father would go along with the comparison to the jail cell. He only made that trip once.
muirford said:
We somehow need to turn this article ot our benefit in showing the sq footage of our guest rooms. :)

sounds like this
cell0705.jpg
good one, jbj, but the jail cell has its own toilet.
i'm trying to figure out just how many rooms the 'communal' bathrooms are shared by ....
seashanty said:
good one, jbj, but the jail cell has its own toilet.
i'm trying to figure out just how many rooms the 'communal' bathrooms are shared by ....
That was in reply to Muirford's comment - her dad could flush the toilet from the bed.

"share two public bathrooms on each floor, which each contain a pair of tiled shower stalls and toilets"
YUCK, I never liked camping for this very same reason! How many room do you think are on each floor?! The article may have said but I just skimmed the article.

I guess lowering the prices of other hotels if occupancy is down because travel is down isn't in the picture? Or is this supposedly in response to a shortage of rooms. (I may have missed that in the article.
So, they're actually moving backwards to the boarding house days with the shared bath down the hall for everyone on that floor. ugh.
Also reminds me of the size of a cell in a convent.

Back