tip envelope wording

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aussie Innkeeper

Reaction score
I know everyone has their own feelings about tip envelopes in the rooms. Some think they should be there, others think it's tacky. This question is for those who think they DO have their place.
I'm trying to think of some clever wording (funny, even??) to put on the envelopes. Anyone have any cute sayings or phrases they would be willing to share???

We have housekeepers. So I do a pretty graphic on the front of a small invitation sized envelope (for summer we have flowers), and I just put "We hope you have a very pleasant stay! Your Housekeepers Susie, Janie and Beth".

Ours are simple. Printed via Word with our logo on white envelopes:
For housekeeping
Thank You!
That's it.

Just totally off the cuff here, we don't do tip envelopes, but IF you are doing turn downs (which to me would be more tip worthy) then I would say something like "SWEET DREAMS from your room staff Susie Janie and Beth"
I wonder what would happen if I put them in here! Maybe I should! Maybe to quote One Day THIS IS A BUSINESS and I NEED TO START TREATING IT LIKE ONE! GOSH DANG IT. :)

You don't want mine because I have a notecard that is wordy. I will offer this- when we put the notecard IN an envelope with 'To Our Guests' on the front, more tips were left. When we got rid of the envelopes, tips dropped off. I think no one reads the notecard unless it's addressed.
I will say that short and sweet is best for the envelope.

I don't want to do this, but can I sidetrack, wait, I will start a new thread. I will leave this one alone...

Why do you suppose people leave tips for housekeeping staff but not the Innkeeper? Again, just got back from a job where the Innkeeper does everything, so I did everything. In the "Innkeeping Manual" that I gave them to fill out before my arrival under "what to do with the tips" - she wrote "we hardly ever get tips" I felt bad cos I actually got a total of $50 in tips while I was there. I was being her tho - why wouldn't those same people tip the Innkeeper? Is it becos they look upon hired help as just that - hired help -and the Inn Owner is just rolling in the dough with all the money they are taking in renting rooms. I can hear you all laughing out there....

Why do you suppose people leave tips for housekeeping staff but not the Innkeeper? Again, just got back from a job where the Innkeeper does everything, so I did everything. In the "Innkeeping Manual" that I gave them to fill out before my arrival under "what to do with the tips" - she wrote "we hardly ever get tips" I felt bad cos I actually got a total of $50 in tips while I was there. I was being her tho - why wouldn't those same people tip the Innkeeper? Is it becos they look upon hired help as just that - hired help -and the Inn Owner is just rolling in the dough with all the money they are taking in renting rooms. I can hear you all laughing out there.....
Yeah, I wonder this too. My hair stylist owns his studio and I tip him every time I go...why DON'T people feel it's necessary to tip the innkeeper who does it all? We certainly try to survive on less than minimum wage!!!

Why do you suppose people leave tips for housekeeping staff but not the Innkeeper? Again, just got back from a job where the Innkeeper does everything, so I did everything. In the "Innkeeping Manual" that I gave them to fill out before my arrival under "what to do with the tips" - she wrote "we hardly ever get tips" I felt bad cos I actually got a total of $50 in tips while I was there. I was being her tho - why wouldn't those same people tip the Innkeeper? Is it becos they look upon hired help as just that - hired help -and the Inn Owner is just rolling in the dough with all the money they are taking in renting rooms. I can hear you all laughing out there.....
suellen222 said:
Why do you suppose people leave tips for housekeeping staff but not the Innkeeper? Again, just got back from a job where the Innkeeper does everything, so I did everything. In the "Innkeeping Manual" that I gave them to fill out before my arrival under "what to do with the tips" - she wrote "we hardly ever get tips" I felt bad cos I actually got a total of $50 in tips while I was there. I was being her tho - why wouldn't those same people tip the Innkeeper? Is it becos they look upon hired help as just that - hired help -and the Inn Owner is just rolling in the dough with all the money they are taking in renting rooms. I can hear you all laughing out there....
No they won't tip an owner. Rarely ever. You walked in my shoes...you see what my perspective is on it as well, thanks for bringing this up. My daughters are now helping with breakfasts, they wear aprons (as I do) and deliver plates, ask if anyone needs anything, is everything fine? etc. I am training them, yes. Never a tip. If EVER there would be a tip I feel it would be on that table.

Just totally off the cuff here, we don't do tip envelopes, but IF you are doing turn downs (which to me would be more tip worthy) then I would say something like "SWEET DREAMS from your room staff Susie Janie and Beth"
I wonder what would happen if I put them in here! Maybe I should! Maybe to quote One Day THIS IS A BUSINESS and I NEED TO START TREATING IT LIKE ONE! GOSH DANG IT. :).
Want to see real tips? Do that and then put three mints on the pillow. Not two... three. Makes it so much more personal.
It's like the old waiter trick, walk over and put down three mints. Walk back as if it is an error and take one back, quickly turn back and put it back and make it like it's an extra, that you should give the customer more than normal. Increases tips all the time.
Joey Bloggs said:
I wonder what would happen if I put them in here! Maybe I should! Maybe to quote One Day THIS IS A BUSINESS and I NEED TO START TREATING IT LIKE ONE! GOSH DANG IT. :)

Guests don't tip the owner. They also won't tip the owner's kids unless they're 'cute'. (By 'cute' I mean 5 years old.) And this is why our housekeeper doesn't get tipped if guests don't see her walk in the door. If she got here too early they would just think she's my kid home from college and not tip her.
I wish I could find some definitive answers on this tipping thing. Even Emily Post was no help!
Most (90%) of our guests don't tip. The tip note goes out when the housekeeper hires on. We don't have one in the off season.

Seen on envelopes
Room serviced by (name)
Hope you enjoyed your stay ( here at the (name)) or ( in name of town or city )

I wonder what would happen if I put them in here! Maybe I should! Maybe to quote One Day THIS IS A BUSINESS and I NEED TO START TREATING IT LIKE ONE! GOSH DANG IT. :).
Want to see real tips? Do that and then put three mints on the pillow. Not two... three. Makes it so much more personal.
It's like the old waiter trick, walk over and put down three mints. Walk back as if it is an error and take one back, quickly turn back and put it back and make it like it's an extra, that you should give the customer more than normal. Increases tips all the time.
Joey Bloggs said:
Eric, we did turndown service here which included (along with busing any dishes from the afternoon refreshments and emptying trash), turning down the bed, closing the wood blinds or drapes, lights on at the bedside, chilled bottled water on the nightstands, and a note on the pillow that said, "Sweet Dreams! ~ Your Innkeeper, Samster" accompanied by two gourmet chocolates. For VIP guests, we would sometimes leave chocolate dipped strawberries. For special occasions, we would sometimes leave a single rose.
We rarely got any tips....

for your business needs is very important because it is the first thing your customer sees custom envelope sizes Whether you are sending billing invoices or invitations for a charity dinner
kraft bubble mailer the envelope should match the content it contains. Before ordering
envelope maker consider what you are putting inside them and the message you want to convey to your customer.Commercial envelopes are used for basic business correspondence.

[/td]
[/tr]

[/table]

About 5% tip in the room. Perhaps they think we have a housekeeper. Many tip on dinners now that I've gone to restaurant-style giving them the bill at the end of the meal. Tips? Yes they're much appreciated.

Double post but I will add the only downside is one more thing to track for income (taxes)
Oh, and no envelopes here. We just stayed at a place with a large staff. There was an envelope in the room with wording similar to
Our staff work hard to make your stay enjoyable. Your consideration is appreciated.

Yeah, I wonder this too. My hair stylist owns his studio and I tip him every time I go...why DON'T people feel it's necessary to tip the innkeeper who does it all? We certainly try to survive on less than minimum wage!!!
I was in squiggle with this - this week as one of my customers at the bb, while he was looking for a place to live - as i had helped him with various things arranged for me to have a free hair cut at the salon which was really nice but wanted to tip as it was free but I know he wouldn't have accepted it - my plan is to buy a small gift and drop it off figure thats a good alternative.

Double post but I will add the only downside is one more thing to track for income (taxes)
Oh, and no envelopes here. We just stayed at a place with a large staff. There was an envelope in the room with wording similar to
Our staff work hard to make your stay enjoyable. Your consideration is appreciated..
Anon Inn said:
You pay taxes on tips you receive? Or you are tracking tips the housekeeper has to pay taxes on?
And you get 5% of the room rate in tips? That is BEYOND phenomenal. If we see $2 in tips we think it's a good day. I would say 5% of guests leave a tip and it's usually $2.

It is required by law to report all taxes. In the restaurant industry if you don't they will automatically take it out (the IRS) I had this happen,,,oh way back in 1984. So yes you are required by law to report all gratuities (this is for card dealers, cocktail waitresses,hair dressers, fishing boat deck hands, anywhere gratuities are given). What you do is your own business, of course.

It is required by law to report all taxes. In the restaurant industry if you don't they will automatically take it out (the IRS) I had this happen,,,oh way back in 1984. So yes you are required by law to report all gratuities (this is for card dealers, cocktail waitresses,hair dressers, fishing boat deck hands, anywhere gratuities are given). What you do is your own business, of course..
We leave it up to the housekeeper to add it to her own income tax filing. We, personally, don't get tips.

Back