Tipping Rooms?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MooseTrax

Reaction score
An odd question but I am wondering if you get tips do they seem to be in certain rooms or spread out? I ask because one room has been tip happy for a week. Just this one room no others. I am trying to think why this room and no others. Nothing about the guests is similar. The room is nice but it's not anything special. I don't think we made any more of a connection with these guests than others.

I have days which I find tips in almost every room, then nothing for weeks....no matter if we connected more or less with the guests.
I don't expect them, but it is wiered how there is / is not a pattern :)

I read the title of this thread like "tipping cows"
My experience has been the working class tip and the upperclass do not. Does this coincide with your pattern? Were the tippers more one time BnB goers than the rest? Without asking why the others DID NOT TIP I would focus on why these did.
Did you spend more time or were more flexible with them? More accomodating for early check in or later check out or anything?
Care to share the demographic of the tippers with us? Mine are YOUNGER vs older here. Not meant to start a debate on the classes...but you know this forum and the cat herding.
I have one room that is notorious for the keys being taken home, no rhyme or reason, it is almost always that room. I DO change out the key fob as I have to when I have no key!

My experience has been the working class tip and the upperclass do not. Does this coincide with your pattern? Were the tippers more one time BnB goers than the rest? Without asking why the others DID NOT TIP I would focus on why these did.
Did you spend more time or were more flexible with them? More accomodating for early check in or later check out or anything?
Care to share the demographic of the tippers with us? Mine are YOUNGER vs older here. Not meant to start a debate on the classes...but you know this forum and the cat herding.
I have one room that is notorious for the keys being taken home, no rhyme or reason, it is almost always that room. I DO change out the key fob as I have to when I have no key!.
Not sure of the color of their collars but will guess at it. One person definitely not blue collar, one couple definitely mgmt (and world-traveling mgmt at that), one family definitely religious collar. (Meant as a joke, but mostly true.) I would say all of the guests had money. Not huge sums of it, but not working an assembly line, either. Quite frankly I had more money working an assembly line than I do now, but that's a whole 'nother story, as they say.
So, 2 of the bookings were walk-ins (rare tippers) and 1 was a short time booking (maybe 2-3 days ago).
How we may have connected...quite a substantial amount of help given to one guest and we were recommended in a travel guide he was using. The religious family we offered a small discount to. The second family had a child who bonded with the better half. Wanted to help with the dishes, etc. Wanted to go outside and learn the names of all the flowers in the garden. Did not want to leave.
We have done as much for all of the other rooms this week. Mapping out routes for things to do, offering discounts, offering early breakfast so they could make appts, etc.
Tippers all from different states. Some tippers saw the housekeeper, others did not.
Still not sure what the connection was other than the room.

I have one room that is notorious for the keys being taken home, no rhyme or reason, it is almost always that room. I DO change out the key fob as I have to when I have no key!.
Joe, swear to God....whenever I have keys go home with someone, it is ALWAYS the same room, never either of the other two.

Now it's getting to be a joke with the housekeeper. She doesn't tell us about tips but this room is having quite the run so she mentioned another $10 this morning. I think that makes it $45 in 10 days. And that's just what I have seen or heard about, maybe this has been going on longer.

could be the note taped to the ceiling next to the fake video camera - 'i left a big generous tip, what are YOU leaving for the innkeepers to remember you by?'
have no idea how to explain ........

could be the note taped to the ceiling next to the fake video camera - 'i left a big generous tip, what are YOU leaving for the innkeepers to remember you by?'
have no idea how to explain .........
seashanty said:
have no idea how to explain ........
After the 'ewwwwww' thread I wouldn't want to think about what some guests are leaving for the innkeepers. Ewwww. If Moosie has rooms journals maybe something is written in there that is encouraging guests to tip?

I have days which I find tips in almost every room, then nothing for weeks....no matter if we connected more or less with the guests.
I don't expect them, but it is wiered how there is / is not a pattern :).
Mooseberry Inn said:
I can echo everything you just said. There's no pattern.
(BTW, when I saw this thread topic, I thought it had something to do with an activity similar to Cow Tipping.)
regular_smile.gif

I don't expect them, but it is wiered how there is / is not a pattern :).
Mooseberry Inn said:
I can echo everything you just said. There's no pattern.
(BTW, when I saw this thread topic, I thought it had something to do with an activity similar to Cow Tipping.)
regular_smile.gif

Having grown up with one and being familiar with a certain Halloween activity, my first thought was outhouses. We never tipped cows - they were too valuable.

Tipping (when it happens) always happens for me in the least expensive room we have. Never once in the more expensive room.

Back