Tipping!!!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never expect tips from people but quite a few people leave them in the room upon check-out. It is always a nice surprise to see them because I never expect them. They are paying a lot for the room as it is.

tipping tipping tipping ...
half the time, i'm the one fluffing the room during a guest's stay. then chambermaid comes in and flips the room and is grumped there is no tip. or for a one night's stay. why expect a tip? then i hear over and over about how tips are better at this place or that place.
i say the same thing over and over again back to them. "you can't count on tips. guests don't have to leave them. plus, if i know about tips, i think i'm supposed to report them. "
stunned silence .....
seashanty said:
i say the same thing over and over again back to them. "you can't count on tips. guests don't have to leave them. plus, if i know about tips, i think i'm supposed to report them. "
stunned silence ....
Well, you've effectively put a stop to that particular conversation! What I noticed last year was that the tips were better if the guests SAW the housekeeper. If she arrived after they had already gone (which happened more than I care to discuss) there were no tips. If the tip note was missing there were no tips. We have one couple who leave a tip every time. Even tho we have progressed to the stage where we go out for dinner with them. They still tip. (And they know it is just us cleaning.)
i have noticed that as well.
i know the girls all work other jobs and fill in here. and i have told them i think they receive tips when guests actually see them around. but if guests think it is just me (and a lot of the time it is) then, why tip the innkeeper? some even consider that to be in bad taste. also, those envelopes i wrote the note on? half the time i am sure they are not read.
Do you write on the envelopes? I don't read those, either because I know what they're going to say. That's why I put the note inside the envelope with a 'To Our Guests' on the envelope.
I don't write anything on our envelopes and I don't leave them on the pillows or anywhere that would be considered 'in your face'. They are with our comment cards and complimentary postcards on the trays behind the water glasses and carafes. I have a little note in our guest information book with our housekeepers' names and say if you want to leave a tip that's great but don't feel obligated. I never know if they see them or not - I probably haven't had ten people ask me about them since we've been here.

half the time, i'm the one fluffing the room during a guest's stay. then chambermaid comes in and flips the room and is grumped there is no tip. or for a one night's stay. why expect a tip? then i hear over and over about how tips are better at this place or that place.
stunned silence .....
seashanty said:
stunned silence ....
Well, you've effectively put a stop to that particular conversation! What I noticed last year was that the tips were better if the guests SAW the housekeeper. If she arrived after they had already gone (which happened more than I care to discuss) there were no tips. If the tip note was missing there were no tips. We have one couple who leave a tip every time. Even tho we have progressed to the stage where we go out for dinner with them. They still tip. (And they know it is just us cleaning.)
i know the girls all work other jobs and fill in here. and i have told them i think they receive tips when guests actually see them around. but if guests think it is just me (and a lot of the time it is) then, why tip the innkeeper? some even consider that to be in bad taste. also, those envelopes i wrote the note on? half the time i am sure they are not read.
Do you write on the envelopes? I don't read those, either because I know what they're going to say. That's why I put the note inside the envelope with a 'To Our Guests' on the envelope.
I don't write anything on our envelopes and I don't leave them on the pillows or anywhere that would be considered 'in your face'. They are with our comment cards and complimentary postcards on the trays behind the water glasses and carafes. I have a little note in our guest information book with our housekeepers' names and say if you want to leave a tip that's great but don't feel obligated. I never know if they see them or not - I probably haven't had ten people ask me about them since we've been here.
I have a line in the guest book as well. So few read that book at all that I'm surprised when someone asks us for a discount coupon for a restaurant.
I know guests see the note cards because they go missing regularly. I print them up every couple of weeks. They take them for the picture of the inn. Cheap advertising. I just added a line that says we only clean between 9 AM & 1 PM so those lazy bones don't think we'll be cleaning up at 3, when they finally decide to go out for the day.
There is no way I am hauling out all the supplies while I'm trying to do check-ins.

stunned silence .....
seashanty said:
stunned silence ....
I have a line in the guest book as well. So few read that book at all that I'm surprised when someone asks us for a discount coupon for a restaurant.
I know guests see the note cards because they go missing regularly. I print them up every couple of weeks. They take them for the picture of the inn. Cheap advertising. I just added a line that says we only clean between 9 AM & 1 PM so those lazy bones don't think we'll be cleaning up at 3, when they finally decide to go out for the day.
There is no way I am hauling out all the supplies while I'm trying to do check-ins.
That's a good idea....I think I'll add the time range that we freshen rooms to our quick info sheet that's in our room books. Great idea!!

stunned silence .....
seashanty said:
stunned silence ....
muirford said:
I can attest to your method being quite tasteful. The names make a difference, it is not in your but there is you feel the need to do a little extra for the housekeeping staff. The wording is also nice.

stunned silence .....
seashanty said:
stunned silence ....
Bree said:
Question: Do you have note pads or paper guests can use instead of grabbing the envelopes? I put pads on our foyer desk as people would grab out business cards to use, so I put them in a visible place.

stunned silence .....
seashanty said:
stunned silence ....
Bree said:
Question: Do you have note pads or paper guests can use instead of grabbing the envelopes? I put pads on our foyer desk as people would grab out business cards to use, so I put them in a visible place.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
Yes, I added notepads last year. I don't use the envelopes anymore because there's no help. The notecard is just on the dresser by itself.

Back