Tipping?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Question about tipping. We stayed in a huge suite (as compared with a standard room size) for 3 nights. There was a living room, kitchenette, dining area, bathroom, and bedroom.

All things being equal, do you leave a larger tip for a larger room?

Maybe it depends on the area you’re in, tipping seems rather rare among our guests.

Maybe if we leave lots of dinner dishes or other mess. Mostly, we tip $5 a night.

Maybe if we leave lots of dinner dishes or other mess. Mostly, we tip $5 a night..
TheBeachHouse said:
Maybe if we leave lots of dinner dishes or other mess. Mostly, we tip $5 a night.
generally speaking, because we do this for a living, we don’t leave messes. Towels all piled in the tub, trash all in the basket, beds unmade. But other than that, hard to tell we were there. We also decline daily housekeeping.
i was thinking more along the size of the room and how long it takes to get to every surface.
Then again, these places all had a housekeeping manager going around so I’m not sure the actual housekeeper ever saw the money. I would have handed it right to them except they weren’t around when we left.

Maybe it depends on the area you’re in, tipping seems rather rare among our guests..
True that! But we pay houskeeping pretty well so not a problem for them. Any tips we get are more directed to special stuff we ourselves do: arrange for a family reunion, help with car problems, etc. so we keep the $ when it shows up.
Myself, after I started innkeeping I sure started tipping housekeeping when I travel, usually $5 left where the actual house keeper will see it, e.g. folded and left under a used coffee mug.

In January, I saw the housekeeping cartdown the hall as I left my room. I went and told her I was gone for the day (so she would know it could be done now) and also told her there was something green by the TV that was not a "test" and I expected it to be gone when I returned. (I left a $5 each day).
Tips here are VERY, VERY rare no matter what I do to make the stay nicer.

Maybe it depends on the area you’re in, tipping seems rather rare among our guests..
True that! But we pay houskeeping pretty well so not a problem for them. Any tips we get are more directed to special stuff we ourselves do: arrange for a family reunion, help with car problems, etc. so we keep the $ when it shows up.
Myself, after I started innkeeping I sure started tipping housekeeping when I travel, usually $5 left where the actual house keeper will see it, e.g. folded and left under a used coffee mug.
For us, we are the housekeepers and don’t really expect a tip, I’d much rather have a good review or a kind word that lets me know the guests enjoyed their stay, money is one of those necessary things in life, but really chose this work because we enjoy the guests

Back