Tipsy, I admire you!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Staff member
Reaction score
A while back Tipsy told us of having moved I believe a queen size bed by herself. She had my admiration for what she did at the time. Now she REALLY REALLY has it.
I had a call this morning that my new queen set is in. I knew before they told me what day it will be delivered - Thursday. I have inn-coming Thursday. So I call the Mission to see when they can pick up the set I am getting rid of - Thursday of course.
Although Rosi's has an older set than the Harris, it has not been used as much and is a better set. I managed to clear a temp space in my storage room and moved the Harris set into there. In the process I knocked over the Christmas tree, putting a nice long scratch in the door to the storage room (I will be looking for a brown crayon), I DID find a bag of magazines and some other stuff to throw away - a plus but not enough - need to toss a LOT more.
The other set is heavier plus I will be fighting a stupid footboard. Have the mattress propped against the dresser and called the Mother of my lawn boy (left message) to ask if her husband can come over and help me move Rosi's set into the Harris so I can get that room ready for Thursday's occupants. Rosi's occupants come in Friday.

Holy Cow - Thanks - but seriously, don't admire me !!! It's nothing but pig-headed stubborness. Actually it was the queen that gave me the most trouble. I had no problem moving the king mattress, head board etc down stairs or getting the queen bed upstairs, but getting the queen mattress upstairs was a real PITA.

But mine were FULL-size and on the same floor. Lawn boy brought over a friend and the two of them moved the mattress & box spring in less than 5 minutes. It was worth the $20 to have the boys do it. I am an OLD whus.

As innkeepers we do cRaZy stuff!
My husband helped me (for the first time ever) get all the all-weather wicker furniture (loveseat, 2 rockers, 2 chairs, assorted tables and plant stands) back on the front porch after I cleaned it and washed it this weekend. It had been sitting on our back patio for 2 weeks while the painters painted the porch floors and let them really dry. My dh said, "How did you ever do this by yourself before?"
I said, "You have no idea what I've done by myself on these two houses over the years, do you?" hahahahahahahaha...
Yeah, I would say I'm stubborn too and just do what I need to do to git 'er done, as they say here in the South!

My husband helped me (for the first time ever) get all the all-weather wicker furniture (loveseat, 2 rockers, 2 chairs, assorted tables and plant stands) back on the front porch after I cleaned it and washed it this weekend. It had been sitting on our back patio for 2 weeks while the painters painted the porch floors and let them really dry. My dh said, "How did you ever do this by yourself before?"
I said, "You have no idea what I've done by myself on these two houses over the years, do you?" hahahahahahahaha...
Yeah, I would say I'm stubborn too and just do what I need to do to git 'er done, as they say here in the South!.
Oh my...at least maybe now he finally does understand just how much work you did by yourself. We can only hope:)

Sounds daft but you should all be carefull of yourselves (gosh I sound like an old granny) but the number of people I know with their backs out at the moment you would not believe. If a big chunk of yourself is you, you have to take care of yourself.

Yeah, I would say I'm stubborn too and just do what I need to do to git 'er done, as they say here in the South!.
Oh my...at least maybe now he finally does understand just how much work you did by yourself. We can only hope:)
Catlady, I would say that sometimes he does, but in reality he does not because he was not here everyday working side-by-side with me. Just the way it is, I think. You know he worked (and still works) hard at his paying full-time job and then helped out here with the B&B as best he could for his perception of it.
I've decided that some people are just harder workers than others. I need a wife!!!
regular_smile.gif
(And my next husband will know how to cook, too. hahaha...)

Sounds daft but you should all be carefull of yourselves (gosh I sound like an old granny) but the number of people I know with their backs out at the moment you would not believe. If a big chunk of yourself is you, you have to take care of yourself..
Not daft at all, Cambs.
I try to use proper body mechanics but I've been stupid about the stuff that I've done around here. I should know better after working as a nurse and messing up my back moving patients around.

Catlady, I would say that sometimes he does, but in reality he does not because he was not here everyday working side-by-side with me. Just the way it is, I think. You know he worked (and still works) hard at his paying full-time job and then helped out here with the B&B as best he could for his perception of it.
I've decided that some people are just harder workers than others. I need a wife!!!
regular_smile.gif
I keep saying I need an extra husband preferably one that is a plumber and electrician! DH isnt going for it though!

regular_smile.gif
I keep saying I need an extra husband preferably one that is a plumber and electrician! DH isnt going for it though!
cheers.gif

regular_smile.gif
Mine does dishes and I am grateful for whatever little he does - although I could do them in half the time. It makes him feel good that he is doing them. He used to do the handyman thing. When this one is done, there will NOT be another. Takes too much energy to "break them in".

There is no perfect person. full stop. For what some have others lack, it is the way it is. To quote Crosby Stills and Nash "LOve the one you're with" doot doot doot doot doot doot doo...

There is no perfect person. full stop. For what some have others lack, it is the way it is. To quote Crosby Stills and Nash "LOve the one you're with" doot doot doot doot doot doot doo....
As we were headed down the street tonight to go out for dinner (woo woo!) I was thinking about a comment I read a couple of days ago- "I don't want my relationship to be like those long-married people you see in a restaurant who don't have anything to say to each other."
And as I was walking along thinking deep thoughts I realized we ARE that married couple who are just comfortable with each other, telling little stories but we don't talk 'big stuff' in restaurants any longer. After that, I thought, here is my 'long-married' response to that comment, "I don't want to be that couple sitting at dinner each wrapped up in their smartphone, texting other (more important) people, checking the scores on the game or otherwise not engaging with the person across the table."
At least when DH and I are not talking we're looking at each other.

pig-headed stubborness I have that too! Moving 6X6 14 feet long!

There is no perfect person. full stop. For what some have others lack, it is the way it is. To quote Crosby Stills and Nash "LOve the one you're with" doot doot doot doot doot doot doo....
As we were headed down the street tonight to go out for dinner (woo woo!) I was thinking about a comment I read a couple of days ago- "I don't want my relationship to be like those long-married people you see in a restaurant who don't have anything to say to each other."
And as I was walking along thinking deep thoughts I realized we ARE that married couple who are just comfortable with each other, telling little stories but we don't talk 'big stuff' in restaurants any longer. After that, I thought, here is my 'long-married' response to that comment, "I don't want to be that couple sitting at dinner each wrapped up in their smartphone, texting other (more important) people, checking the scores on the game or otherwise not engaging with the person across the table."
Madeleine said:
After that, I thought, here is my 'long-married' response to that comment, "I don't want to be that couple sitting at dinner each wrapped up in their smartphone, texting other (more important) people, checking the scores on the game or otherwise not engaging with the person across the table."
Amen, sister!

regular_smile.gif
Mine does dishes and I am grateful for whatever little he does - although I could do them in half the time. It makes him feel good that he is doing them. He used to do the handyman thing. When this one is done, there will NOT be another. Takes too much energy to "break them in".
im still breaking DH in its a full time job!

JB, exactly...or if you can't or don't, then get out of the relationship. Sometimes we have to change things up in our lives to make relationships work. That's life.
But I'm still sticking to my next dh or significant other being able to cook. After 36 years, it'd be nice to have someone at least make me a sandwich.
wink_smile.gif

Deep thoughts on a rainy & chilly day here.... lol!

We picked up the bed frame last night (at DH's insistence) . It barely fit in the car trunk with the drop-down back seat. THAT sucker is HEAVY!!! Guess who gets to schlep that stuff. I did manage to push it up the stairs - finally. The box came apart in the car and 2 steps from the top it got stuck UNDER the riser. Now if DH does not get another case of "but first" before I have to go teach knitting at the Library at 3... (I was hanging laundry when he emerged to go upstairs and he decided to start on the pumpkins while he waited (all of 2 minutes to hang the stuff) and by the time he was done it was time for lunch.)
Once we get it put together he is going to bolt the headboard to it. The headboard & footboard had slots for the rails and I could have made it for the queen, but after whacking MY feet on it - the footboard had to go. He is going to go up the steps butt method and will sit on a square on rollers to do the set-up. I could do it (we both know I could), but he WANTS to so I am not going to take that away from him.

and...I admire Tipsy. Here is another reason...guests discuss travel here every day, we have had three rooms of one nighters, every night this week, this morning the conversation turns to travel, as it always does for this baby boomer age group. They generally bring up the UK, especially if we have a guest from the UK and then proceed to tell them every detail or every thing they saw and everywhere they went in the UK. Poor Tipsy, that must wear thin, it does on me!
It goes like this "Oh you are from England? We were in England in 2003..." and then they tell tale after tale from what they ate to what someone said to them.
cry_smile.gif

As I say, bring on the ecentric guests, the ones who share stories that interest me. The same old same old...can you tell I am tired? Nearly there...I can see the light as my rez calendar shows Nov with only a couple rooms booked!

Back