Tired of the TTY scam .... Tired of the BBB scam .... right now just TIRED

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ukmaineiac

Reaction score
Apology - feeling sorry for myself post ahead.
Is it just me or do some of you get ridiculously tired and depressed when you're NOT at your busiest. So many things to do that we can't afford to do. No drive or desire to do anything .... just get it DONE because I have to. Horrible bookings for Xmas. My wonderful family that have shared our Xmas for 6 years had to cancel because of a serious illness in the family. Right now, I'm really missing home and family and seriously considering moving back over the pond (to France though - not England)

YES, oh yes I DO understand. When I am so busy I have to make an appointment to go to the Loo I feel alive and vital. Now I just feel buried in things that really do not matter. Does it really matter if I have crap up to the ceiling in my office? NO, only to Him-who-points-fingers yet sees not HIS own. Does it matter that I did not "decorate" the hall as usual - only to have to undecorate it in a couple weeks? No.
We feel ALIVE and functioning when we are busy. This too shall pass and you will be back to your bubbly self as soon as the winter slow-down passes. Hoist yourself by your bootstraps ad scare the heck out of your DH by giving him extra attention to soak up that down time because you will not have it later. Go get a hairdo (that usually - or a massage - works for me ) amd is affordable where a paint job is not, plus that cannot be done in winter.
Merry Christmas, my friend, Chaos is just around the coner.

Gillum - you're THE BEST. I love your "hoist yourself up by your bootstraps" comment. You really do know me. We actually exchanged early Xmas gifts last night. He got a chainsaw and I got a fizzy bubble bath, non-candles and an electric blanket. :)

Gillum - you're THE BEST. I love your "hoist yourself up by your bootstraps" comment. You really do know me. We actually exchanged early Xmas gifts last night. He got a chainsaw and I got a fizzy bubble bath, non-candles and an electric blanket. :).
UKMaineiac said:
exchanged early Xmas gifts last night. He got a chainsaw
Nothing says "Merry Christmas" like a new chainsaw ;)

Absolutely. I think most of us function best at 110% and not so hot at 30%. We have a bit of vacation planned and, like a real job, I am no longer focusing on today but rather the vacation. Late Dec bookings are really, really low. And anyone who does call expects the world. Sorry about your long-time guests not being able to make it. I know we often look forward to repeats who are fun and we miss them when they can't come.
Where in France? It sounds appealing!

I buy stationary to cheer myself up! just bought a 5 year diary don't know what I'm going to do with it but I feel more organised!!! I am the same not happy unless running round like a loony! Mind you have picked up a bunch of builders who have been staying at the travel lodge as they have put their rates right up for christmas so they have ventured out into the world. Ironically I am doing them a better deal (before I knew how much they had been paying there) plus my parking is free (theirs is £12 a day $24) and they don't do breakfast. Ha Ha!

BTW- doing a task I have put off for centuries (it seems) sometimes helps with the energy level. Today I sorted magazines. Shuffled them around, redistributed them to the rooms, threw out about 50 lbs of mags older than Sept.
Yeah, it took all of 20 minutes. Feels like a huge weight (at least 50 lbs!) has been lifted.
Cleaning my desk and writing up a 'Jan to do list' helped, too.
Talking to my daughter 3x this week! and my mom has also helped. My daughter is about as far away as your mum & dad, so I get how the hols can be depressing.

It's the Pareto Principle (The 80-20 rule) at work combined with the shortest days of the year. Add into it the Christmas rush and well, it's tough. Even for me, and I don't celebrate Christmas.
I try to throw myself into things that I have wanted to do for a while, but haven't been able to. Read a book. Watch Catherine Tate specials. Cook something different for just us. Go out to a restaurant. Anything that takes me away from the maddening crowds that find they need to shop shop shop.

It's the Pareto Principle (The 80-20 rule) at work combined with the shortest days of the year. Add into it the Christmas rush and well, it's tough. Even for me, and I don't celebrate Christmas.
I try to throw myself into things that I have wanted to do for a while, but haven't been able to. Read a book. Watch Catherine Tate specials. Cook something different for just us. Go out to a restaurant. Anything that takes me away from the maddening crowds that find they need to shop shop shop..
Don't speak to me about shopping! was nearly beaten to death in marks and Spencer for a packet of roast potatoes and its only going to get worce from here on out!!! You would seriously think they were stopping making food the shops only shut for 1 day people!! last year they were queueing to the back of the supermarkets all through the aisles!

I try to throw myself into things that I have wanted to do for a while, but haven't been able to. Read a book. Watch Catherine Tate specials. Cook something different for just us. Go out to a restaurant. Anything that takes me away from the maddening crowds that find they need to shop shop shop..
Don't speak to me about shopping! was nearly beaten to death in marks and Spencer for a packet of roast potatoes and its only going to get worce from here on out!!! You would seriously think they were stopping making food the shops only shut for 1 day people!! last year they were queueing to the back of the supermarkets all through the aisles!
Tomorrow I'm going to buy some supplies and then I won't go back until the day after boxing day. The last few days of this are always crazy.

Tomorrow I'm going to buy some supplies and then I won't go back until the day after boxing day. The last few days of this are always crazy.
my trouble is i sort of forget in my brain that it is say christmas eve and I think "oh ill just pop out for Blah Blah" and its a fricking zoo! new years resolution for 2012 remember when its fricking christmas eve!!

Gillum - you're THE BEST. I love your "hoist yourself up by your bootstraps" comment. You really do know me. We actually exchanged early Xmas gifts last night. He got a chainsaw and I got a fizzy bubble bath, non-candles and an electric blanket. :).
And I bet the chain saw really WAS just what he wanted. Any self-respecting man in Maine waould LOVE a new chain saw.

Hmmm, somehow busy ALWAYS finds me. Didn't have much planned for today but I made 3 different kinds of cookies and will have to husstle to get out the door to an appointment....then out to dinner with friends. For the depression I just eat two of each kind of cookie....That does the trick!
wink_smile.gif

Hmmm, somehow busy ALWAYS finds me. Didn't have much planned for today but I made 3 different kinds of cookies and will have to husstle to get out the door to an appointment....then out to dinner with friends. For the depression I just eat two of each kind of cookie....That does the trick!
wink_smile.gif
Chocolate!!!!!!!
Chocolate!!!!!!

And our City Finance Officer just gave me a box of Mrs. Fields chocolates for Christmas!!! Yorkshire tea and chocolates - I have it ALL!!!

And I bet the chain saw really WAS just what he wanted. Any self-respecting man in Maine waould LOVE a new chain saw.
gillumhouse said:
It was on my self-respecting Maine man's Christmas list, too :)

I think the main reason we are all a bit down ie (a) at least where I am its pretty dark ie doesn't get light till about 9am then dark again about 3pm so not much sun to cheer us up and (2) we are all normally so busy we don't have time to think about anything but what must be done and what needs to be done where as when we are quieter or closed it gives us chance to think about all the things we have been shoving to the back of our minds and not thinking about. (3) i also think that with every new year it is a time to think about what is comming (ie we have no way of knowing) so it makes us a bit nervous.

I hate slowing down cos I always get sick! starting with a cold right now which is typical.

I hate slowing down cos I always get sick! starting with a cold right now which is typical..
Drink more OJ!!! I had stopped my morning mug (not glass) of OJ and got sick. Started it again and now am almost done with the cough (and it was only ONE month, not the usual three).

Back