'Tis the season

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MooseTrax

Reaction score
hello! terrific site, really like the comraderie i have seen here while just lurking. we are coming into our peak season so are in the process of doing hiring. even though i am sure no one who will be applying for a job will ever see this list as they also haven't seen any job hunting lists on yahoo news or any where else. so this is more of a peeve than anything else. her'es my list of peeves in the employment game-
  • read the businesses website before calling. we do not have a position open here for a "pillow librarian" and you would know that if you had a lick of common sense.
  • do not ask for the 'GM' as this also indicates to me you have done no research at all as if you had you would know my name already and would know there is no GM on site.
  • harping on the website reading is this newly received quaestion- are you open? why would you apply for a position at a place that is closed? looking at the website would show this a year round business.
  • not that teens would know this but a small B&B does not have full time jobs for 'hostesses' or 'flower arrangers' or 'night time front desk'.
  • if you interrupt my day to ask for an appointment to submit an application then please show up.
  • 'housekeeping' does not mean 'hooker' - please dress appropriately.
  • if you are newly laid off (i'm sorry this happened to you, i really am, it happened to me) plese do not think i want all of the details including how hard it is for you to be home with your children on school vacation and that is why you never sent in your application but you want to come for an interview anyway as you need work doing anything until you can find a better job.
  • if you have health problems that preclude you being able to make a bed (bad back, can't bend) think carefully about what 'housekeeping' means before, again, wasting everyon'es time.
  • if the job states it is from 9 AM to 2 PM why do you think i would want you to start at 3 PM after you get out of your other housekeeping job. (that person really should have known better) if the job states it goes from may to oct why tell me you are open for july and aug only?
oh, i feel much better now.

Welcome Moose Trax. I had a gal here today and attention to detail is what is lacking, 100%. I know I am a stickler, but they really don't get what a B&B is all about. It is more than the bed! Hope you enjoy this forum.
teeth_smile.gif

Oyyy...you had to pick one of my favorite ice creams as a screen name....my stomach is growling already. Welcome MooseTrax
welcome.gif

Welcome! Gosh..sounds like you have really had your share of "losers"!!!
With all the unemployed out there you would think someone capable of filling a housekeeping position would show up! Good luck..sounds like you need it!!!!

:Welcome:
The problem is, of course, that the unemployment is not a consistent thing. Here it is VERY high, and there are many diligent persons, so finding someone willing to show up and work, and actually do a good job isn't so difficult. Finding guests, OTOH...
=)
Kk.

MooseTrax said:
My DH is wondering if you might consider adding a lucrative line of business at your place? I feel your pain - I was dreading having to find someone to replace my graduating college student for weekends, but one of her friends who is only a junior wants the job. She seems reliable and positive, so we're going to try her out next weekend. I hope you find someone!!

OTOH, in my case, we may have found a winner today! Someone who professes to 'like' cleaning and who was neat and tidy in appearance, well spoken, shook my hand, looked me in the eye and called me by name and then thanked me for taking up my time. Holy cow! We have another interview tomorrow and then I'd be happy to call today's person back.

MooseTrax said:
My DH is wondering if you might consider adding a lucrative line of business at your place? I feel your pain - I was dreading having to find someone to replace my graduating college student for weekends, but one of her friends who is only a junior wants the job. She seems reliable and positive, so we're going to try her out next weekend. I hope you find someone!!.
muirford said:
MooseTrax said:
My DH is wondering if you might consider adding a lucrative line of business at your place? I feel your pain - I was dreading having to find someone to replace my graduating college student for weekends, but one of her friends who is only a junior wants the job. She seems reliable and positive, so we're going to try her out next weekend. I hope you find someone!!
oh no, i don't think that wold work at all!
wink_smile.gif
as it is i always let the housekeeping staff know that they are to take no guff from any guests and if anyone approaches them in a way that makes them uncomfortable to come and get us right away. many of them are just kids who have never really had jobs outside babysitting or working on the parents' farms or businesses.
there have been some who have come in totally inappropriately dressed but it only happens once. i've been told i have a really forbidding 'mom' look and they all know what it means. more than likely because their own mothers said-you're not going to work like that are you?!
cellphones are the big one now. how do you handle that? do you have a no cellphone policy? do you have to have that or are your kids mature enough? there have been cellphone abuses here. they think because they have it on vibrate i don't know they are on the phone instead of working.

Oyyy...you had to pick one of my favorite ice creams as a screen name....my stomach is growling already. Welcome MooseTrax
welcome.gif
swirt said:
welcome.gif
My favorite ice cream too! Yummy!

Welcome!
welcome.gif
I've only been a "member" for a short while now and it has been wonderful! I feel like I have a whole new set of friends. I'm sure you'll feel the same way! Good luck with your upcoming inn-season.

in spite of all my complaints, we found a treasure. we hope. another college kid so she won't start for a few weeks. ahhhhhhhhh. sigh of relief it's very hard going into the seaosn not knowing if we do it all ourselves or not.
one last comaplint before i let this peeve go...if the job pays $x do not say you'll take the job for $x + $4. as it is we pay more than the state median and mean for this position and we pay more than the same job at a hotel. and it's a much better atmosphere here as you get breakfast leftovers if you want them and dh is very funny and easy to get along with. i'm a bear but that's another story.
now, how do you handle tipping for housekeeping? does anyone have a good method for getting tips to be left for them?

Welcome. Hope the cleaning staff works out. I am quite jealous as hiring someone to clean is a long way from being affordable.

in spite of all my complaints, we found a treasure. we hope. another college kid so she won't start for a few weeks. ahhhhhhhhh. sigh of relief it's very hard going into the seaosn not knowing if we do it all ourselves or not.
one last comaplint before i let this peeve go...if the job pays $x do not say you'll take the job for $x + $4. as it is we pay more than the state median and mean for this position and we pay more than the same job at a hotel. and it's a much better atmosphere here as you get breakfast leftovers if you want them and dh is very funny and easy to get along with. i'm a bear but that's another story.
now, how do you handle tipping for housekeeping? does anyone have a good method for getting tips to be left for them?.
We rarely get tips but now I have someone helping me part-time and have been thinking about this too. Since I'm cleaning guest rooms with her, we are actually splitting any tips
wink_smile.gif
There have been a few since she started. The other day someone left a $20 bill (their room had been taken care of by the university here) and my housekeeping help told me that I needed to keep it because I had gone out of my way to help her with some relocation info. Now, that is a gem of a housekeeper!!
teeth_smile.gif

So they call at 850pm to tell me they will be here late? Really? I knew I had it too good this week.
pita.gif

now, how do you handle tipping for housekeeping? does anyone have a good method for getting tips to be left for them?.
We rarely get tips but now I have someone helping me part-time and have been thinking about this too. Since I'm cleaning guest rooms with her, we are actually splitting any tips
wink_smile.gif
There have been a few since she started. The other day someone left a $20 bill (their room had been taken care of by the university here) and my housekeeping help told me that I needed to keep it because I had gone out of my way to help her with some relocation info. Now, that is a gem of a housekeeper!!
teeth_smile.gif

Do not take this as derogatory as it is not meant that way. I think I would have done the SOP with that $20 for the good feeling it would generate with someone who is a GREAT help from what you have said. Creates a loyalty and good feeling that will help keep that housekeeper - just my opinion.

wink_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif

Do not take this as derogatory as it is not meant that way. I think I would have done the SOP with that $20 for the good feeling it would generate with someone who is a GREAT help from what you have said. Creates a loyalty and good feeling that will help keep that housekeeper - just my opinion.
I DID!! She pushed it back to me numerous times. At that point, it was obvious that she wanted me to have it! She worked 21 hours for me last week at $10/hour so it was worth her while to work for me. Not to mention that I provide lunch every day (either homemade or bought) and she takes home baked treats to her kids. I don't think she has a problem with good feelings from me.
wink_smile.gif

wink_smile.gif
teeth_smile.gif

I DID!! She pushed it back to me numerous times. At that point, it was obvious that she wanted me to have it! She worked 21 hours for me last week at $10/hour so it was worth her while to work for me. Not to mention that I provide lunch every day (either homemade or bought) and she takes home baked treats to her kids. I don't think she has a problem with good feelings from me.
wink_smile.gif

In that case - she IS a gem. I knew she had good feelings from you, I was comcerned about good feeling FOR you. Sounds as if that is covered. Congrats!

Back