'Tis the Season...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
...for job applicants.
Today we received back via snail mail an application we sent out last week. Along with the application info we sent the job description which states what the job entails and what the work day requirements are (ie- weekends a must, 9 AM a must, no 3 PM start times).
The person who sent the app back folded it up into a tiny wad and stuffed it into an envelope. It was 'too fat' by PO standards so WE owed 61 cents for the extra postage for this wad of paper sent to us by a job applicant. I said to Gomez, 'Poor attention to detail, no job for that one.' He replied back, 'She says she can't work weekends, doesn't matter.'
Oy. Let the silliness begin.
And I read about applicants upset that their applications are never responded to. And I made mention awhile back that we respond back to applicants to let them know the job is filled or whatever. Sorry, just changed my mind. I am not wasting another 44 cents on this person who didn't even bother to read the job requirements and cost me 61 cents to find that out.

Not to worry, THAT person will be the one to call you to find out why you haven't called them yet. Or send you another fat letter.
We have just had a crazy two weeks filling both of our housekeeping jobs at the same time. Put ad on university job site plus local paper and have received over 100 calls and/or emails about it. Called the newspaper to cancel printing the ad on the second & third days (paid the 3-day min anyway), DH held two 'cattle calls' for the candidates while I was out of town and whittled it down to a half dozen or so. Now I've interviewed the prime suspects, hired one, turned down one, have two good candidates for the one remaining job and am trying to decide between the final two for one job. Man, this has been exhausting, and I used to do recruiting and interviewing as my job.

Not to worry, THAT person will be the one to call you to find out why you haven't called them yet. Or send you another fat letter.
We have just had a crazy two weeks filling both of our housekeeping jobs at the same time. Put ad on university job site plus local paper and have received over 100 calls and/or emails about it. Called the newspaper to cancel printing the ad on the second & third days (paid the 3-day min anyway), DH held two 'cattle calls' for the candidates while I was out of town and whittled it down to a half dozen or so. Now I've interviewed the prime suspects, hired one, turned down one, have two good candidates for the one remaining job and am trying to decide between the final two for one job. Man, this has been exhausting, and I used to do recruiting and interviewing as my job..
I did hiring once and got taken by an applicant. When I told mgmt I thought this person would work out, someone in the room laughed and said she was a 'perpetual looker' and only came in for the interview to tell unemployment that she was 'looking.' Sure enough, she never showed for her first day at work.
Here, I've sat in on the interviews. The last, worst one was the candidate who brought her kid with her. Kid proceeded to run all over while his mother proceeded to tell us how she would do her job, what she would do, what she wouldn't do and the hours she would grace us with her presence.

biggest biggest piece of advice i have is when someone promising walks in asking if you have any work available and you don't because you've already hired your staff, HOLD ONTO that person's info. i was kicking myself about three weeks after someone showed up who probably would have been wonderful but i had more than enough staff (who quit) plus some on reserve (who decided they didn't want to work so hard). i couldn't find her info and thought, oh well, she probably found another job by now. but ..... a little time went by and i saw her working elsewhere. i went over and spoke to her, told her to please call if she EVER wanted work, took down her number (it wasn't another b&b) but ... no go. she had JUST started there and was very happy. my own fault.

We have just had a crazy two weeks filling both of our housekeeping jobs at the same time. Put ad on university job site plus local paper and have received over 100 calls and/or emails about it. Called the newspaper to cancel printing the ad on the second & third days (paid the 3-day min anyway), DH held two 'cattle calls' for the candidates while I was out of town and whittled it down to a half dozen or so. Now I've interviewed the prime suspects, hired one, turned down one, have two good candidates for the one remaining job and am trying to decide between the final two for one job. Man, this has been exhausting, and I used to do recruiting and interviewing as my job..
I did hiring once and got taken by an applicant. When I told mgmt I thought this person would work out, someone in the room laughed and said she was a 'perpetual looker' and only came in for the interview to tell unemployment that she was 'looking.' Sure enough, she never showed for her first day at work.
Here, I've sat in on the interviews. The last, worst one was the candidate who brought her kid with her. Kid proceeded to run all over while his mother proceeded to tell us how she would do her job, what she would do, what she wouldn't do and the hours she would grace us with her presence.
Morticia said:
Reminds me of the nanny scene in Mrs. Doubtfire. Still love that movie!

Morticia said:
Reminds me of the nanny scene in Mrs. Doubtfire. Still love that movie!
Exactly.

Back