To carpet or not to carpet . . .

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krlecroy

Reaction score
Hello InnKeepers! The place we plan to buy has carpet in all the bedrooms that I want to replace (master on main, 4 upstairs). There is also carpet on the floors in the basement (game room and media room) that will need to be replaced. Any recommendations for best replacement? Do we go back with carpet? Or maybe wood/laminate in bedrooms and tile in basement? I would greatly appreciate your input!

Quite often carpet soaks up a lot of noise that you would be unaware of when the carpet is down. Also, right now you have no idea what the floor underneath looks like. We had carpet upstairs over soft wood floors. I really wanted wood floors and not carpet, but the noise downstairs from high heels clicking on the floor is unbelievable. So, we ordered carpet, then pulled up the old stuff. The floors underneath were really rough so we were better off putting carpet down again.

If you have time you could pull up the old carpet, check the floors, blast the TV to check noise transmission and go from there.

I used an architect when I remodeled my old building to make it ready for overnight guests. He specified carpet in all the upstairs bedrooms, and on the stairways. When I asked why (many people think carpet is dirty and passe) he said without the carpet people downstairs would hear every step made overhead. I took his advice and have never been sorry, especially after I found this thing. So far I've not had a carpet stain it didn't remove or at least greatly improve.

We carpeted all our guest rooms except the one on the first floor. Three had painted wood floors and two had beautiful, restored, antique hardwood. But they are noisy. And cold. We also carpeted the stairs. The carpet guy tried to talk us out of it because they were beautiful. But we knew they were also noisy.

What they said.
Carpet for noise control and warmth. I also had to replace subfloors due to pet damage and have work done on floor joists because of squeaking. Add under layment if you can. (That’s all one word but spell correct won’t allow it.)
It’s amazing how the sounds on wood floor can carry. And also conversation. Probably one of the biggest challenges of having happy guests in a full house is noise.
I do love the look of wood floors

Hardwood is beautiful, easy to clean, easy to see that it is clean (especially for the allergy challenged), but by the same token, gets marked by rolling luggage, shows everything and you almost have to clean more often! Carpet is warm to the bare foot, noise reducing and more forgiving as to "cleanliness;" especially if you have pets. imho, I would put carpet at a minimum in the upstairs bedrooms and stairs. Ground floor entrance can be hardwood (for the look) and basement (game room) can be tile or hardwood, whatever makes sense for your location / climate / budget.

Interesting. Had been thinking about pulling up the carpet on our second floor to refinish the old wood floors (carpet is in awful shape). Maybe we will just put in new carpet instead. Thanks all - you may have saved me a lot of effort!

We split the difference and put in wood floors (actually Pergo Pet-Friendly flooring with a 25-year warranty) and then placed rugs on top to help with the cold and sound insulation.
I am going to pull the carpet and ring the room with lamanit or paint floor then an area rug with low pile to cover entrance and bedsides. Can pull carpet and PRESSURE wash outside when necessary.

Back