To Fish or Not to Fish, that is the question....

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country Girl

Reaction score
Do you serve fish for breakfast? I am looking to change my menu up a bit and I would love to serve eggs with smoked salmon or crab but I'm afraid it would not go over well. I love salmon quiche but will my guests? What say you, oh wise ones?

When I serve salmon quiche, I also serve ham quiche, that way they have a choice of either kind. Yes, I find a lot of guests do not like salmon but health conscious ones really seem to go for it.

We are located in a major salmon area....you can't believe how many reservations I get that say "no seafood". I figure there are a lot more out there who wouldn't like it either and just didn't put it on their reservation form. Personally, I don't like seafood for breakfast. It also could get pretty expensive too.

We are within a few hours of the eastern seaboard and many of the B&Bs along the shore use recipes with fish or seafood for breakfast. I've had a pretty good crab quiche. We also get a lot of guests who say no seafood for breakfast, but that's not really our local thing so I never do. However, if I have to do a continental breakfast for bicyclists, I usually add smoked salmon to the buffet as a protein.

We are nowhere near any kind of seafood and I still get "no seafood" all the time on our requests.

A crab quiche sounds ok to me. We too had people say no seafood for breakfast. Seems too early for me...maybe a brunch kind of thing but at 9 am...seafood just doesn't sound appealing to me...but I don't eat much seafood anytime....so I don't count ;-)

What is super popular in the UK is scrambled eggs with Salmon (ie all mixed in together) tasts fab plus if it is fresh local produce this is also popular as a marketing tool and or if fished sustanable etc. Quite fancy it for lunch actually LOL.

I believe there is a majority who would not touch any fish at breakfast. I would hate to waste it. Now if it were smoked salmon and you could put it out for them to try or have and save it, vs in something.

I love crab - am so so about salmon but either would not be a great smell to me in the morning...
RIki

One of my guest favourites is crab quiche. The local Maine crab is very mild and really doesn't smell "fishy". I have the occasional request for no seafood but I have many many many requests from returning guests for the crab quiche. It's not cheap, but I never have left-overs.
I also serve potato pancakes with smoked salmon, a lime-wasabi-sour cream sauce and all the "extras" - ie capers, sliced cucumber and tomato.

I do not count because I will eat crab or salmon any time. Let me at it. But then again, there is not much I won't eat (mostly in the fruit realm that either make sores in my mouth or give me the itches). Fish & seafood - yum!

I don't serve coconut or mushrooms because too many people won't eat them. I didn't even think of fish. No I would not eat fish for breakfast lunch or dinner. I am not a fish fan.
Oh wait I love crab with melted butter. I can eat more crab that any one in the world. Not sure for breakfast I would be crazy about it but you never know.

One of my guest favourites is crab quiche. The local Maine crab is very mild and really doesn't smell "fishy". I have the occasional request for no seafood but I have many many many requests from returning guests for the crab quiche. It's not cheap, but I never have left-overs.
I also serve potato pancakes with smoked salmon, a lime-wasabi-sour cream sauce and all the "extras" - ie capers, sliced cucumber and tomato..
The Tipsy Butler said:
I also serve potato pancakes with smoked salmon, a lime-wasabi-sour cream sauce and all the "extras" - ie capers, sliced cucumber and tomato.
Would you share your crab quiche recipe?

I also serve potato pancakes with smoked salmon, a lime-wasabi-sour cream sauce and all the "extras" - ie capers, sliced cucumber and tomato..
The Tipsy Butler said:
Would you share your crab quiche recipe?
Hi Country Girl
The recipe is in the recipe section.
https://www.innspiring.com/recipe/breakfast/crab-quiche
A few comments / modifications. Use 3/4 cup of heavy cream and 3/4 cup of eggs (which is usually 4 for me). You'll probably only need a good cup of grated swiss cheese. I now usually caramelize my onions before I add the crab.
Hope this helps.

Back