To fluff or not to fluff, that is the question

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am with you. I only "freshen" when asked. There s no way I want someone messing in my room if they don't have to. I tell my guests that I would not enter their homes without permission and while they are here, that is their home. My Mamma only raised one dumb fool and she lives in Missouri! Why would I make work for myself? I think I have enough to handle already..
I fluff every day and I've saved myself $$$$ in potential damage. By this I mean wet towels on wooden furniture or beds, etc. I've had guests weight their wet laundry with books on my wooden mantel and turn the gas fire on to dry the clothes - almost caused a fire. Heat turned to the maximum and windows open. All lights on. There are so many stupid and dangerous things that guests do that I simply MUST go in and do a fluff every day. It is a rare occasion that I won't and even if someone says "don't worry about our room" I will go in after they are gone and ensure everything is okay.
I have never had guests leave messes like that other than the one-night guy who was ticked because I said I was going to charge him for that night of his reservation whether they stayed or not - he tried to cancel a 3-night reservation on arrival. HE DID leave wet towels everywhere. 2 people used every towel in the room, all 4 robes...... with a one night stay! I knew to go up the second they left.
I also do not have any gas heaters - although there is an electric baseboard heater that is the source of heat for the room - as we have disconnected all the gas that went to the fireplaces in our house.
The Guest from Hell has not found me and I certainly hope he does not ever!
gillumhouse said:
I have never had guests leave messes like that other than the one-night guy who was ticked because I said I was going to charge him for that night of his reservation whether they stayed or not - he tried to cancel a 3-night reservation on arrival. HE DID leave wet towels everywhere. 2 people used every towel in the room, all 4 robes...... with a one night stay! I knew to go up the second they left.
I also do not have any gas heaters - although there is an electric baseboard heater that is the source of heat for the room - as we have disconnected all the gas that went to the fireplaces in our house.
K, do you have lights and ceiling fans and bathroom exhaust fans? All that is $$. Not to mention leftover seafood in a to-go box in a waste basket. YES this happened here a wedding night couple with their dinner from their reception. I nearly barfed. They checked out late as they got in real late. I went into the room (sheesh I can stil smell it) about 3pm and oh man, nearly tossed my cookies.

I am with you. I only "freshen" when asked. There s no way I want someone messing in my room if they don't have to. I tell my guests that I would not enter their homes without permission and while they are here, that is their home. My Mamma only raised one dumb fool and she lives in Missouri! Why would I make work for myself? I think I have enough to handle already..
I fluff every day and I've saved myself $$$$ in potential damage. By this I mean wet towels on wooden furniture or beds, etc. I've had guests weight their wet laundry with books on my wooden mantel and turn the gas fire on to dry the clothes - almost caused a fire. Heat turned to the maximum and windows open. All lights on. There are so many stupid and dangerous things that guests do that I simply MUST go in and do a fluff every day. It is a rare occasion that I won't and even if someone says "don't worry about our room" I will go in after they are gone and ensure everything is okay.
gillumhouse said:
K, do you have lights and ceiling fans and bathroom exhaust fans? All that is $$. Not to mention leftover seafood in a to-go box in a waste basket. YES this happened here a wedding night couple with their dinner from their reception. I nearly barfed. They checked out late as they got in real late. I went into the room (sheesh I can stil smell it) about 3pm and oh man, nearly tossed my cookies.
That reminds me of one of my favorite chain email letters about a wife who had to leave her beloved home and furniture so her ex-husband and his new hottie could take possession. The night before she left she ate shrimp and caviar, then put a little of each in the end of each of the curtain rods in every room in the house...
=)
Kk.

gillumhouse said:
That reminds me of one of my favorite chain email letters about a wife who had to leave her beloved home and furniture so her ex-husband and his new hottie could take possession. The night before she left she ate shrimp and caviar, then put a little of each in the end of each of the curtain rods in every room in the house...
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
And it didn't matter where the new couple moved because they always took the drapery rods with them and the stink continued...I liked that one, too.

gillumhouse said:
My guests bring me thier "to-go doggie bags" to put in the fridge for them. I toss them the next day when they leave without remembering to take them. As for lights/fans left on - I factor in utilities in the cost of doing business. Just as the A/C is running, it is running - until 2 seconds after they leave to go home. Most of my guests turn off the A/C when they go out. I can see what is in the shared batrh and that will be cleaned several times in a day if shared anyway.
This is what works for me (and sharing it). Obviously it would not work for others.

gillumhouse said:
I am with you. I only "freshen" when asked. There s no way I want someone messing in my room if they don't have to. I tell my guests that I would not enter their homes without permission and while they are here, that is their home. My Mamma only raised one dumb fool and she lives in Missouri! Why would I make work for myself? I think I have enough to handle already.
Where at in Missouri?

gillumhouse said:
I am with you. I only "freshen" when asked. There s no way I want someone messing in my room if they don't have to. I tell my guests that I would not enter their homes without permission and while they are here, that is their home. My Mamma only raised one dumb fool and she lives in Missouri! Why would I make work for myself? I think I have enough to handle already.
Where at in Missouri?
Scott City, near the Cape.

gillumhouse said:
Where at in Missouri?
Scott City, near the Cape.
My husband's family is from down there.

gillumhouse said:
My guests bring me thier "to-go doggie bags" to put in the fridge for them. I toss them the next day when they leave without remembering to take them. As for lights/fans left on - I factor in utilities in the cost of doing business. Just as the A/C is running, it is running - until 2 seconds after they leave to go home. Most of my guests turn off the A/C when they go out. I can see what is in the shared batrh and that will be cleaned several times in a day if shared anyway.
This is what works for me (and sharing it). Obviously it would not work for others.
It's not a matter of cost with the lights, heat, etc. ... it's about the environment and not wasting these things.
I am required by Tourism BC to provide daily maid service. It's courtesy to the guests. It isn't an invasion of privacy. I'm not snooping in their private stuff.

gillumhouse said:
It's not a matter of cost with the lights, heat, etc. ... it's about the environment and not wasting these things.
I am required by Tourism BC to provide daily maid service. It's courtesy to the guests. It isn't an invasion of privacy. I'm not snooping in their private stuff.
ginocat said:
I was appealing to K's cost effective strategizing on that post. She stated before she adheres to eco-lodging, meaning eco-nomical - hanging out linens etc.

gillumhouse said:
ginocat said:
I was appealing to K's cost effective strategizing on that post. She stated before she adheres to eco-lodging, meaning eco-nomical - hanging out linens etc.
Yep, I do watch costs where I have control. I have to have my hall lights on 42/7 if I have someone in house (if they have to flip the light switch on the stairs and don't, an insurance agent told me I am liable so I light!) but as soon as everyone is out of house for the day, those lights go off. Guests I do not control so if they leave a light on, it is on. Their Mommy might go turn it off, but it is not my "place" to do it.

gillumhouse said:
ginocat said:
Yep, I do watch costs where I have control. I have to have my hall lights on 42/7 if I have someone in house (if they have to flip the light switch on the stairs and don't, an insurance agent told me I am liable so I light!) but as soon as everyone is out of house for the day, those lights go off. Guests I do not control so if they leave a light on, it is on. Their Mommy might go turn it off, but it is not my "place" to do it.
If you stay at a hotel and leave lights on you can be darn sure they'll be off when you come back.
I do have a hall light I leave on (although my German guests keep turning it off to save electricity and the environment) but I have a 'power smart' bulb in the lamp so it's okay.
Interestingly I just had my provincial inspection and the inspector was turning lights off behind me and reminding me how we all have to do our bit to save energy!!!!!!

We have a door knob sign that says, "please clean" and on the opposite side says "no cleaning necessary". But , I always go into the room and turn down the beds, take out used towels, empty garbage cans, and whatever else is necessary.

We have a door knob sign that says, "please clean" and on the opposite side says "no cleaning necessary". But , I always go into the room and turn down the beds, take out used towels, empty garbage cans, and whatever else is necessary..
trishany said:
We have a door knob sign that says, "please clean" and on the opposite side says "no cleaning necessary". But , I always go into the room and turn down the beds, take out used towels, empty garbage cans, and whatever else is necessary.
I'm confused. Why do you have a sign that says "no cleaning necessary" if you're going to clean anyway?
=)
Kk.

We have a door knob sign that says, "please clean" and on the opposite side says "no cleaning necessary". But , I always go into the room and turn down the beds, take out used towels, empty garbage cans, and whatever else is necessary..
trishany said:
I'm confused. Why do you have a sign that says "no cleaning necessary" if you're going to clean anyway?
=)
Kk.
Yellowsocks, Please don't be confused between "tidying" up the room (i.e. turning down the beds, emptying trash, refreshing towels, etc) and CLEANING the room.

trishany said:
=)
Kk.
Yellowsocks, Please don't be confused between "tidying" up the room (i.e. turning down the beds, emptying trash, refreshing towels, etc) and CLEANING the room.
trishany said:
If the guest puts the 'clean' sign out, what do you do differently than if you just run in and empty the trash, make the bed and replace the towels?
To me, the purpose of the sign is not so much the difference between 'cleaning' and 'tidying' as it is the difference between 'come into my room' and 'keep out of my room'. That's how I would view those door hangers. One means it is ok for you to enter (please clean), the other side (the privacy side) means don't go in. At all.

Back