To Hot Tub or not to Hot Tub....

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mooseberry

Reaction score
OK, I made my decission and ordered my Hot Tub today.
In a previous post I asked the pros and cons to offering a hot tub to customers.
Now I am asking the ones who do or did have a hot tub available for guests:
Do you have set hours for use?
Can anyoone use it at any given time or to you reserve time slots?
Did you up your rates to defray the additional costs ?
Do you offer tub use for an additional cost?
What seems to work for you and what don't ?
What are your most common rules? I know I defianately do not want kids under 18 or alcohol in or around the tub.
Thanks for your help :)

Oh boy. I've been trying to convince DW we don't need ours....too much work...but in answer to your questions:
Yes, set hours. Out at 10:30 - voices are loud because they talk over the sound of the jets and bubbles.
We have no time slots - never had any conflicts yet.
Was here when we bought so can't answer that.
No additional cost.
Getting people to use the hot tub towels is challenging - towel location is probably the key.
If you allow kids to stay, you will have a hard time keeping them out of the tub. Stop the jumping when you see the first one.
Keeping alcohol out will be almost impossible. A better tactic is to provide plastic drink ware - and the glass will still wind up there.
The people that use it always enjoy it. They often have their own at home, but some don't and they will mess up the controls, the cover, anything possible. If your control panel has a password lock out on it be sure to use it.
Sorry if I sound negative but I just finished draining and refilling ours tonight. Had so much use the last couple of weeks I could not dump in enough chemicals to keep it nice. Maybe you won't have as many users.
r

Unless you're raising your rates, you will in no way be compensated for the tons of extra work you will have cleaning the damn thing.
When you own a hot tub for personal use, you take the extra steps to keep it clean. Guests don't. There will be lotions, perfumes, deodorants, beer, wine, pee, you name it introduced to the water. You WILL be draining it and cleaning it much more often than you would like.
Just my two cents.

Mooseberry Inn said:
In a previous post I asked the pros and cons to offering a hot tub to customers.
What are your most common rules? I know I defianately do not want kids under 18 or alcohol in or around the tub.
I have been curious about this topic. We have Jacuzzis for 2 in our cottage and suites, but have been tossing around the idea of a hot tub for guest use. Party size for 6 to 8 people. Just how involved are they?

Ditto,ditto, guest will ask about the hot tub when making a reservation but not always use it. They seem to like having tons of amenities at there disposal just in case there in the mood to use them.It is a draw(a plus) and handy with my massage special. Mary in Bridgewater, Va.
thumbs_up.gif

Mooseberry Inn said:
I have been curious about this topic. We have Jacuzzis for 2 in our cottage and suites, but have been tossing around the idea of a hot tub for guest use. Party size for 6 to 8 people. Just how involved are they?.
You don't want parties going on in your hot tub!!!! Hot tubs are tons of work..if you keep them properly...when lots of people use them. Water must be monitored and chemcials used to balance water and make sure it is safe for guests. Water must be changed more frequently when there are many different people using it. IT IS ALOT OF WORK!!!

Hi
We have a hot tub which guests can use as and when they like. We provide towels for that purpose, plastic 'glassware' to use in that area (its next to a swimming pool), we don't charge extra for it and ask guests to shower before using it.
We have had no problems at all - it doesnt get an awful lot of use.
www.bedandbreakfastdevon.org

Unless you're raising your rates, you will in no way be compensated for the tons of extra work you will have cleaning the damn thing.
When you own a hot tub for personal use, you take the extra steps to keep it clean. Guests don't. There will be lotions, perfumes, deodorants, beer, wine, pee, you name it introduced to the water. You WILL be draining it and cleaning it much more often than you would like.
Just my two cents..
There will be lotions, perfumes, deodorants, beer, wine, pee, you name it introduced to the water.
Yum, makes me want to go out and get one!

Like you, we have the 2 person whirlpool tubs. My vote would be to not do an outdoor spa. Only once that I'm aware of did someone not book here because they were looking for an outdoor spa.

Just my two cents..
There will be lotions, perfumes, deodorants, beer, wine, pee, you name it introduced to the water.
Willowpondgj said:
Just a reality check. When it was just me and mom, the hot tub was nice, but maintenance was still a pain.
Sadly but true, people are just plain nasty...even the nice ones. We're talking hygiene here, or lack thereof. If you've never had to drain and then de-scum and disinfect a hot tub, then you're in for a real treat. It's just not worth it for us.

Hi
We have a hot tub which guests can use as and when they like. We provide towels for that purpose, plastic 'glassware' to use in that area (its next to a swimming pool), we don't charge extra for it and ask guests to shower before using it.
We have had no problems at all - it doesnt get an awful lot of use.
www.bedandbreakfastdevon.org.
welcome.gif
Joffa!!!

We've had a jacuzzi since we opened and have had very few problems with it. One thing that was a problem was people saying they were going to use it and then doing something else, after we had paid to heat it. We solved that by putting it into our packages and charging for it. Now when its bought; it gets used. If you already have jacuzzi tubs I would say forget it.

We have a outdoor hottub. We set hours of use, 10PM here, have suttle rope lights that turn off at that time. Adults only. We also have plastic glassware for use. We stress no additives (lotions, fragrance oils etc. No candles.
Most people have been real good about following our rules and directions of use. BUT there are will always be those that think the rules only apply to everyone BUT them. - Just like the B&B itself. We have not (knock on wood) had the oils etc problems yet. But have had many that sneak down to use it in the middle of the night, usually they are quiet but on occasion, someone from the room closest to it will mention hearing the hottub running. When this happens we have also had a mess either by them messing with the rope light timer so they have a little light or by candle mess.
Then there are those who seem to stay in for EVER. We now have a notice, as a courtesy to other guests to limit the stay to 1 hour, so others may enjoy. If your place is a big 'romantic getaway' location, you may experience this problem unless you have them reserve it.
For Farmers Daugher: I would not invest in an outdoor hottub if you have 2 person jacuzzis in your rooms. This will not attract any additional guests, and will only be used at times when there are several people traveling together. And then - as someone else pointed out - you will then have extra noise to deal with. Why add to the workload and expence for the little you would gain.

Just my two cents..
Willowpondgj said:
Just a reality check. When it was just me and mom, the hot tub was nice, but maintenance was still a pain.
Sadly but true, people are just plain nasty...even the nice ones. We're talking hygiene here, or lack thereof. If you've never had to drain and then de-scum and disinfect a hot tub, then you're in for a real treat. It's just not worth it for us.
I would never use any communal hot tub...no matter how much any of you clean it...said all of this before..so won't say it again. I have my own hot tub and I am the only one who uses it...my husband doesn't like them. And I still am so careful with the water and chemicals. It still takes time if you do it properly

Thanks everyone fro replying.
Lots of negative vibes here.
I will definately insist of them taking showers before use and no swimsuit, no tub.....no shorts and t-shirt...too much soap in them from laundry.
I guess I will have to see what happens. I would be the only one in town offering it and I think guests will enjoy it in the wintertime....at 60 below.. :)

I will definately insist of them taking showers before use and no swimsuit, no tub.....no shorts and t-shirt...too much soap in them from laundry.
I guess I will have to see what happens. I would be the only one in town offering it and I think guests will enjoy it in the wintertime....at 60 below.. :).
Best of luck enforcing your policies. Speaking from the guest point of view, idiot guests are one of the reasons that we have never used hot tubs offered at B&Bs. A lot of people seem to think that it's an opportunity for a party. On the other hand, there are plenty of respectful guests. There was an innkeeper in PA that had guests that really enjoyed their hot tub. I hope you get to enjoy the hot tub yourself! :)

I guess I will have to see what happens. I would be the only one in town offering it and I think guests will enjoy it in the wintertime....at 60 below.. :).
Unless you have a ski area or some other recreational site where guests will be getting sore muscles; my experience is they probably won't go near it in the winter.

Unless you have a ski area or some other recreational site where guests will be getting sore muscles; my experience is they probably won't go near it in the winter.
No Ski Area, but since we live in Alaska, there is plenty of Snowmobiling going on. And there is nothing better then a nice hot tub after a long day of riding..:)
People also loooove to go into the hotsprings here...the colder the better :)
I do it myself with friends when we go to canada on our yearly trip.
we will just have to see.

We have an outdoor tub, it is used by a minority of guests, but the ones who do use it love it, are very considerate, clean and mindful to not hog it so others can enjoy it also.
We also offer separate towels, little flashlights, plastic ware, robes, etc.
Our hours are 7am to 11ish pm. We also tell folks that if they can be quiet and possibly leave the jets off or conversation to a minimum, they are welcome to use it even later. We get amazing night skies, so its a big amenity decider for many folks who like to star gaze.
We've never had any conflicts with folks lining up to get in, or not sharing. Maybe a handful of times in five years, one of us has had to go enforce quiet time, but all those guests had other issues while here, became DNBAs and thats the end of that story.
Ours is a Hot Springs brand which is the industry leader on energy efficiency, durability and ease of use. Not a lot of bells and whistles, just a tough, very light on the electric bill tub which keeps the water a constant temp when not in use through superior insulation and design.
It actually runs on 110 and when we owned one before while living in Oregon, their ad campaign at the time was that if it increased your electric bill more than $10 per month, they'd pay the difference. Been hooked on it ever since.
I'm obsessed about its cleanliness and quite honestly its maybe 10 minutes a day to keep it bright and shiny with very good quality water chemistry. The trick with hot tubs is being consistent with maintenance and water chemistry. Sure, we'll get some pinhead who goes in with lotion on, or whatever, but with the caddy full of clening products I have on hand, I've yet to meet my match on keeping it clean enough to satisfy even me about climbing in for a soak.
For the rare child under 10 guest we get, they must be accompanied by a parent at all times. Its a one time violation rule and tub privileges are suspended for the rest of the stay.

We have an outdoor tub, it is used by a minority of guests, but the ones who do use it love it, are very considerate, clean and mindful to not hog it so others can enjoy it also.
We also offer separate towels, little flashlights, plastic ware, robes, etc.
Our hours are 7am to 11ish pm. We also tell folks that if they can be quiet and possibly leave the jets off or conversation to a minimum, they are welcome to use it even later. We get amazing night skies, so its a big amenity decider for many folks who like to star gaze.
We've never had any conflicts with folks lining up to get in, or not sharing. Maybe a handful of times in five years, one of us has had to go enforce quiet time, but all those guests had other issues while here, became DNBAs and thats the end of that story.
Ours is a Hot Springs brand which is the industry leader on energy efficiency, durability and ease of use. Not a lot of bells and whistles, just a tough, very light on the electric bill tub which keeps the water a constant temp when not in use through superior insulation and design.
It actually runs on 110 and when we owned one before while living in Oregon, their ad campaign at the time was that if it increased your electric bill more than $10 per month, they'd pay the difference. Been hooked on it ever since.
I'm obsessed about its cleanliness and quite honestly its maybe 10 minutes a day to keep it bright and shiny with very good quality water chemistry. The trick with hot tubs is being consistent with maintenance and water chemistry. Sure, we'll get some pinhead who goes in with lotion on, or whatever, but with the caddy full of clening products I have on hand, I've yet to meet my match on keeping it clean enough to satisfy even me about climbing in for a soak.
For the rare child under 10 guest we get, they must be accompanied by a parent at all times. Its a one time violation rule and tub privileges are suspended for the rest of the stay..
Thanks Tim, maybe there is hope out there yet... :)
We used to have a big pool outback, before the B&B, and my DH was just perfect in keeping it clean and excellent with the chemicals. I don't think I will have to worry about that.
Also our tubs here in AK have special insulation and they also tell us because of some kind of pump, which is added to all their models and keeps the water circulating 24/7, the use of chemicals would be a lot less.
I hope it will all work out for us and the guests, but if all else fails, we just close it down.
Thanks again for the positive feedback :)

Back