To make or not to make

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We use to tidy up every room every day! We no longer do that! We have signs that people hang on their doors if they would like this service. Most Honeymooners skip on room tidies. If I went into a room where there is computers and clothes all over the bed, I do not touch it. sure as I do, some pita would say I broke their computer or stole something. Joey ask your DH if he would clear sex toys off a bed to make it for them! This has happened before! Nope not gonna do it!!! People sometimes really like their privacy and I'm ok with not making up their room. This will save a lot of time by only tidying rooms that requests it!.
Bob bob bob...If I mention anything in the rooms and he walks away, he won't hear it. I mention someone barfed, or missed the toilet or worse...he says don't tell me about it. You see unlike myself, where I get to/must interact with the guests ANYWAY, he won't.
Sometimes he doesn't even believe it, so your story...he wouldn't listen, he would say to me "Dont tell me!"
That is why I AM the INNside INNkeeper and he is the OUTside Innkeeper.
whattha.gif

This is why his opinion on this doesn't matter, I told him "I am also the head of housekeeping in this joint" LOL
Well that's not right! Lol! Next time he comes in from working in the yard and has something to say about it, tell him you don't want to hear about it! Lol.

As far as our guests are concerned, we do not go in their room at all. Total privacy. Don't want that liability and relieves us of having to take the time to fluff their room. I wouldn't want someone coming in my room while I went into town for the day. I'd be wondering if they went through my stuff. I'm just weird like that
embaressed_smile.gif

Now, we will sneak in to put the cleaned spare set of sheets back in the closet just so they are not laying around the laundry room... But we just installed locks on all the bedroom doors, so the guests aren't expecting anyone to be able to get in. We do offer a changed bed if they are staying more than 3 nights at which time we'll tell them that we're going in....
Do guests know there is no daily housekeeping? It is so strange that JB got dinged for not REMAKING a made bed and you don't make beds at all and seem none the worse for it!
We do clean the guest rooms everyday. Pretty thoroughly at that.
I'm amused by this, because it's never been something that's been addressed. We don't tell them that there's no room service... we don't say anything about room service at all. I've never had anyone ask about room service or comment about lack thereof. The only thing we discussed when we took over was when to change sheets. We didn't want to have to change sheets after just one night and the previous owners said they only did so if they stay more than 3 nights. (come to find out after the fact that they often didn't change sheets between guests either EEWWW - probably why there's not alot of repeat business from before our reign).

As far as our guests are concerned, we do not go in their room at all. Total privacy. Don't want that liability and relieves us of having to take the time to fluff their room. I wouldn't want someone coming in my room while I went into town for the day. I'd be wondering if they went through my stuff. I'm just weird like that
embaressed_smile.gif

Now, we will sneak in to put the cleaned spare set of sheets back in the closet just so they are not laying around the laundry room... But we just installed locks on all the bedroom doors, so the guests aren't expecting anyone to be able to get in. We do offer a changed bed if they are staying more than 3 nights at which time we'll tell them that we're going in....
Do guests know there is no daily housekeeping? It is so strange that JB got dinged for not REMAKING a made bed and you don't make beds at all and seem none the worse for it!
I'm amused by this, because it's never been something that's been addressed. We don't tell them that there's no room service... we don't say anything about room service at all. I've never had anyone ask about room service or comment about lack thereof. The only thing we discussed when we took over was when to change sheets. We didn't want to have to change sheets after just one night and the previous owners said they only did so if they stay more than 3 nights. (come to find out after the fact that they often didn't change sheets between guests either EEWWW - probably why there's not alot of repeat business from before our reign).
K9 said:
aye?
It's not room SERVICE, it's housekeeping. Unless stated it is ALWAYS expected in a lodging establishment. Big or small. This country or that country.
Absence of proof is not proof of absence.
I read your other post and thought you must have a nicely framed sign in their room saying "We want this to be your home away from home, and just like home you expect privacy dot dot dot and that's why we won't go into your room during your stay" if you don't then they think you are being slack. I believe you have the wrong idea, entirely K9.
And on the other note, YOU DO go in, when needed, and in fact if you saw something really wrong YOU WOULD CORRECT IT. Like a candle burning and melted wax all over a dresser...right?"

embaressed_smile.gif

K9, speaking as a guest, I would expect housekeeping daily unless I knew that there was none up front when I booked the room. I would be unlikely to return or recommend a place that I found that did not provide daily housekeeping, especially if the rates were the same/higher than local hotels.
As an innkeeper, I felt that our inn was no different than any lodging establishment when it came to daily housekeeping service. However, I didn't disturb guest's personal belongings. There were a very few times that all I did was change out wet towels and empty trash because the guest has their things strewn about. That was the exception.

embaressed_smile.gif

I'm with the others on this K9. If you don't inform them, then they will expect it and will be disappointed when it doesn't happen. If you don't want to offer this service, then spin it in a way that's positive (privacy, treat it like your home, etc). Believe me, it WILL show up on a TA review at some point if you don't.

embaressed_smile.gif

Ok - I hear you all loud & clear. I just had a discussion with the other Innkeeper and we completely agree with y'all. If I was staying somewhere and came back after a long day to find my trash was still overflowing and my towels were still on the floor, I would not be pelased. I appreciate the help to improve our establishment & the level of service that we offer. We are going to start housekeeping immediately.
I was not a big traveler and had never stayed in a B&B before starting to run this one. So, I have a limited frame of reference from a guest's point of view. I try to put myself in their shoes when considering things, but this had honestly not crossed our minds because we were adamant about not entering a guest's room... again I am grateful to this forum for showing me the way
lightbulb.gif

Thanks again!!

embaressed_smile.gif

Ok - I hear you all loud & clear. I just had a discussion with the other Innkeeper and we completely agree with y'all. If I was staying somewhere and came back after a long day to find my trash was still overflowing and my towels were still on the floor, I would not be pelased. I appreciate the help to improve our establishment & the level of service that we offer. We are going to start housekeeping immediately.
I was not a big traveler and had never stayed in a B&B before starting to run this one. So, I have a limited frame of reference from a guest's point of view. I try to put myself in their shoes when considering things, but this had honestly not crossed our minds because we were adamant about not entering a guest's room... again I am grateful to this forum for showing me the way
lightbulb.gif

Thanks again!!
K9 said:
lightbulb.gif

Thanks again!!
K9 I didn't want to ask you that, but I suspected it to be the case. I really think you need to go and visit some B&B's...you will glean so much, listening to us here is out of context MANY TIMES. You need to see it in action. Ask the powers that be to allow you to go some some of the innkeeping conferences, or training sessions.
The thing is, none of us know it all, I know it sounds like we do, legends in our own minds and all that, but this is a changing business...we gotta roll with the punches. Some standards are held throughout, housekeeping in one of them. In fact when there are inspection by either 1) state associations, or 2) Local they will ask about daily housekeeping, that is what it is called.
Now if you want to do the spin, like BD mentioned, a) GREEN, reuse your towels, etc, or b) PRIVACY, then do that. But you need to let the guests in on it, either way.

embaressed_smile.gif

lightbulb.gif

Thanks again!!
K9 said:
lightbulb.gif

Thanks again!!
K9 I didn't want to ask you that, but I suspected it to be the case. I really think you need to go and visit some B&B's...you will glean so much, listening to us here is out of context MANY TIMES. You need to see it in action. Ask the powers that be to allow you to go some some of the innkeeping conferences, or training sessions.
The thing is, none of us know it all, I know it sounds like we do, legends in our own minds and all that, but this is a changing business...we gotta roll with the punches. Some standards are held throughout, housekeeping in one of them. In fact when there are inspection by either 1) state associations, or 2) Local they will ask about daily housekeeping, that is what it is called.
Now if you want to do the spin, like BD mentioned, a) GREEN, reuse your towels, etc, or b) PRIVACY, then do that. But you need to let the guests in on it, either way.
Joey Bloggs said:
K9 said:
lightbulb.gif

Thanks again!!
Joey's right.
DW and I have gone to B&Bs whenever we have traveled and have done so for the past 30+ years. If nothing else, you'll take away a sense of what NOT to do, because many of them get it wrong.
This forum is valuable in that we get to swap war stories and trade tips on how we do things. Everyone has a different perspective and it helps to see a problem issue from other standpoints. However, experience is the best teacher.
Concerning housekeeping, cleanliness is paramount to most guests. We don't give our guests an option for housekeeping unless they never leave their room their entire visit. Even then, I tell them at breakfast I'll be down shortly to collect trash and provide fresh towels. You need to be able to verify that your room is still in one piece.

Does anyone have signs for the guests to use for 'no housekeeping', or 'do not disturb'? Or is that more of a hotel/motel sorta deal?

embaressed_smile.gif

lightbulb.gif

Thanks again!!
When my guests come down for breakfast I ask them if they need maid service. I then explain that while they are here we look at their room as being their home and we would not enter their home without permission. We are just asking if they want us to "do" the room because we are aware many people do NOT want anyone in their room.
A big reason we can do this is because we have never experienced the PITA behavior of wet towels etc with our guests (have never found problems after checkout). I do not know it is is because they are just nice and also neat or if me telling them we only enter on request tipped them that if there are wet towels on the bed they will be sleeping on wet sheets so they do not put wet towels anywhere except in the bathroom.

embaressed_smile.gif

lightbulb.gif

Thanks again!!
K9 said:
lightbulb.gif

Thanks again!!
Joey Bloggs said:
K9 said:
lightbulb.gif

Thanks again!!
Joey's right.
DW and I have gone to B&Bs whenever we have traveled and have done so for the past 30+ years. If nothing else, you'll take away a sense of what NOT to do, because many of them get it wrong.
This forum is valuable in that we get to swap war stories and trade tips on how we do things. Everyone has a different perspective and it helps to see a problem issue from other standpoints. However, experience is the best teacher.
Concerning housekeeping, cleanliness is paramount to most guests. We don't give our guests an option for housekeeping unless they never leave their room their entire visit. Even then, I tell them at breakfast I'll be down shortly to collect trash and provide fresh towels. You need to be able to verify that your room is still in one piece.
Proud Texan said:
I think we've all been somewhere that totally missed the mark for whatever reason. So, yes, good to go out and see what's out there so you know first hand what makes you comfortable and what makes you think, 'Not this place, not ever again.'
I always find something new to do when I get home after we've stayed at a B&B. Sometimes the experience is good and I want to repeat it here for my guests. Other times it's awful and I want to be sure what I'm doing here is not what made me upset when I was the guest.
My traveling peeves (yes, I pack them in the suitcase for the trip!) are things like noticing that the vacuumer has never moved a piece of furniture to get behind it, dead bugs on the window ledges, fingerprint smears on windows and mirrors, basic cleaning in other words. I've got a whole list of other peeves that are pretty typical I would think- no heat/hot water/air, lousy shower, squeaky bed, noise transmission from other rooms, inn pets all over the place, cold/burnt/continental breakfast. (The continental only if I wasn't informed first that's what it would be.)
I've made some fairly big allowances when the innkeepers are really sweet and trying hard.

embaressed_smile.gif

lightbulb.gif

Thanks again!!
Thing is though you don't have to do tons ie you could just do a quick straighten of the bed, top up tea tray (if you do an in room set) and empty all the bins (trash Can)- this wouldn't take long and it also has the added benefit of if they have left wet towels on the bed, trash can is over flowing, they have broken something, they have thrown up on something, stained something that you can get to it and fix/pre treat/ prevent stain from setting before it becomes a problem. Even if people say don't bother I go in anyway because I want to be sure there isn't one of these nasty surprises waiting for me.

Does anyone have signs for the guests to use for 'no housekeeping', or 'do not disturb'? Or is that more of a hotel/motel sorta deal?.
Olga said:
Does anyone have signs for the guests to use for 'no housekeeping', or 'do not disturb'? Or is that more of a hotel/motel sorta deal?
I think some people use those signs and if you make them fun I'd be ok with them. The plain old B&W 'Do Not Disturb' signs are not really for B&B's.
Caveat- some folks have found the guests will hang out in their rooms until 4PM and then flip the sign over and expect the room to be cleaned. I would have no idea someone was gone from their room and needed it picked up!

Does anyone have signs for the guests to use for 'no housekeeping', or 'do not disturb'? Or is that more of a hotel/motel sorta deal?.
Olga said:
I think some people use those signs and if you make them fun I'd be ok with them. The plain old B&W 'Do Not Disturb' signs are not really for B&B's.
Caveat- some folks have found the guests will hang out in their rooms until 4PM and then flip the sign over and expect the room to be cleaned. I would have no idea someone was gone from their room and needed it picked up!
Madeleine said:
Olga said:
I wonder if they are made aware that housekeeping is only available between certain times? I know in some hotels, the housekeepers are gone by 5pm ... earlier if all their work is done sooner.

Olga said:
Madeleine said:
Olga said:
I wonder if they are made aware that housekeeping is only available between certain times? I know in some hotels, the housekeepers are gone by 5pm ... earlier if all their work is done sooner.
Even tho we do not have the do not disturb signs we do have a notice with 'important info' that lets the guest know we clean between 9 AM- 1 PM. So, if you're lollygagging around until 2 PM, no one is going to touch the room at tht point. I'm dead by 1 PM!

Olga said:
Madeleine said:
Olga said:
I had those signs at our B&B. Our in-room books stated that daily housekeeping was done between certain times of the day. Our guests got the idea that I was the housekeeper most of the time, so they seemed to get this concept of one person being spread so thin and made their rooms available during that window.
However, we also did an evening turn down service. So, if they had the privacy sign up earlier in the day and it was down in the evening, I could go in and empty trash, remove wet towels, and straighten the bed and do the turn down service. They did not get the whole nine yards involved in the morning daily housekeeping though.
We did have twice yearly health department inspections and daily housekeeping was an expectation of them for our permit.
I felt that this was the way to go with our housekeeping approach with the price point of our B&B and the service provided by the other B&Bs in our town. As innkeepers, everyone has to decide what works for them in terms of guest expectations, personal approach, and the inspections done by their locality.
As a guest, I have expectations for cleanliness and a list of pet peeves, much like Maddy!
wink_smile.gif

Olga said:
Madeleine said:
Olga said:
Even tho we do not have the do not disturb signs we do have a notice with 'important info' that lets the guest know we clean between 9 AM- 1 PM. So, if you're lollygagging around until 2 PM, no one is going to touch the room at tht point. I'm dead by 1 PM!
Madeleine said:
Do people read the guest books that thoroughly? Or just read the information they are looking for? I myself sometimes just leaf through them. We went away for 2 weeks this year, and I don't even think I looked at it (I think my other half looked at it though).
Would a housekeeping schedule on the back door or on one of those little stand up notices on a desk work? Or would that just be adding clutter?

Olga said:
M ake a very personal one. On one side, "don't disturb" on the other side "I'm out from 12PM to 3PM, so tidy my room, please." That way, they can't put it out without having read that they missed the cut off time!

We will freshen up if they leave by noon. On my to-do list is a sign for the door that says "Freshening not needed". That way, if they can leave and hang the sign on the door if they don't want us in there. It also indicates to them that we are not at their beck and call.

Olga said:
Madeleine said:
Olga said:
Madeleine said:
Do people read the guest books that thoroughly? Or just read the information they are looking for? I myself sometimes just leaf through them. We went away for 2 weeks this year, and I don't even think I looked at it (I think my other half looked at it though).
Would a housekeeping schedule on the back door or on one of those little stand up notices on a desk work? Or would that just be adding clutter?
Olga said:
Madeleine said:
OK, here's the deal...some people read every scrap of paper in the room, some tell me there was absolutely NO information in the room about anything they needed.
SO. On the back of the door, just like a hotel, I have the check out time. Still get guests who are standing at the door, studiously avoiding seeing the sign with the check-out time, while I'm knocking on it at 11:30 tell me they had no idea check-out was at 11.
Ditto any other info.
I have those little plastic 5x7 picture frames like you would stand on a table in which I have a sheet with all the really important stuff- breakfast, WiFi, check-out, how to find us. I put this on the dresser on top of the guest book. Nothing doing. Had guests say they couldn't log onto the WiFi, they didn't have the pw.
I put both the book and the picture frame ON the bed. They have to move it, touch it, look at it to use the bed. Same problem. 'Oh, I didn't see it.'
So, you can do anything and everything but 95% of the guests are on vacation in more ways than one and they do not read. I just do it for those 5% who do read. Which reminds me that I have to update the room books this month.
Hey, I do it myself. I sat down in a hotel in Vegas and tried to log onto the WiFi there. No can do. I go looking for something that tells me how to do this and can't find it. FInally I look for a phone number to call and there it is...directions for how to get on the internet. Not WiFi.

Back