To Reply or Not To Reply - That Is The Question

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Address this issues she mentions, they are important...
  • Innkeeper(s) unavailable (BIG ISSUE)- without your entire personal details being out there explain the in room phones and the phone numbers
  • No cable TV (as advertised)- address this one way or the other, either you have it or you don't; either you advertise it or you don't
  • No screens in the windows
  • Cramped dining
  • Other guest complained about an issue that was not resolved (or it was and she just brought it up again)- explain you have 'European-style' bedding if you don't have blankets right on the bed.
If you bring up everything else that happened, then you sound vindictive. 'Oh, yeah, you think what SHE says is bad, wait til you find out what WE had to deal with.' It's irrelevant.
BTW, by posting the review, I think everyone knows who you are now. So you may want to delete the actual review..
Bree said:
  • Innkeeper(s) unavailable (BIG ISSUE)- without your entire personal details being out there explain the in room phones and the phone numbers
  • No cable TV (as advertised)- address this one way or the other, either you have it or you don't; either you advertise it or you don't
  • Cramped dining
  • Other guest complained about an issue that was not resolved (or it was and she just brought it up again)- explain you have 'European-style' bedding if you don't have blankets right on the bed.
If you bring up everything else that happened, then you sound vindictive. 'Oh, yeah, you think what SHE says is bad, wait til you find out what WE had to deal with.' It's irrelevant.
BTW, by posting the review, I think everyone knows who you are now. So you may want to delete the actual review.
Really....? What do you mean? *scratches head in confusion*
Not sure what the head scratching is about? The comments the guest made that should be addressed because they can be real issues for other guests or that posting that makes it searchable which means anyone can search for any of the guest's comments and come up with your TA reviews and thus your inn name?
Bree said:
Not sure what the head scratching is about? The comments the guest made that should be addressed because they can be real issues for other guests or that posting that makes it searchable which means anyone can search for any of the guest's comments and come up with your TA reviews and thus your inn name?
That never occured to me. I did search for Absolutely Terrible, will not be returning on TA and found pages of reviews. Interestingly, my Inn name did not show up.

Don't do it FD.
She would get her friends to review you next, and the saga will continue. You will have to stress over it, contacting TA to tell them it is not legit, etc.
All glowing reviews and one lunker? Ignore it and get some new great reviews on there and move on. Seriousely. You are giving her POWER right now by all of this, and the response will never be perfect. You take a GREATER chance of putting other guests off by your response..
Silence implies consent. To fail to reply to these claims leads the reader to believe that they probably happened and are true; worse yet, that you didn't know how to respond to them.
SweetiePie said:
Silence implies consent. To fail to reply to these claims leads the reader to believe that they probably happened and are true; worse yet, that you didn't know how to respond to them.
I totally disagree.
If you do reply, how can you not address every single erroneous comment? If you do then the reader will not be impressed. No one, I repeat NO ONE wants to read a diatribe on a TA review.
If you can say in one swift line something to address everything for future guests benefit - then do it. I would like to see it done (here on the forum in draft form of course).
I challenge the forum members to write a one line reply to THAT TA review. Otherwise, ignoring it is 100% better than challenging the writer of the review. Anyone who reads all the other reviews will know that person was off their rocker.
How about
"As none of these issues was mentioned by the guest during our many recent email exchanges regarding costly room and furniture damage done during her stay, this review appears to be the result of her being charged for said damages".
Little Blue said:
How about
"As none of these issues was mentioned by the guest during our many recent email exchanges regarding costly room and furniture damage done during her stay, this review appears to be the result of her being charged for said damages".
GOOD! VERY GOOD!
Joe Bloggs said:
Little Blue said:
How about
GOOD! VERY GOOD!
...being charged for said damages that she has since confessed to (or agreed to) causing.
penelope said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Little Blue said:
How about
GOOD! VERY GOOD!
...being charged for said damages that she has since confessed to (or agreed to) causing.
Good addition.
Bree said:
penelope said:
Joe Bloggs said:
Little Blue said:
How about
GOOD! VERY GOOD!
Good addition.
I agree

• Cramped dining
BTW, by posting the review, I think everyone knows who you are now. So you may want to delete the actual review..
Bree said:
  • Cramped dining
BTW, by posting the review, I think everyone knows who you are now. So you may want to delete the actual review.
Bree said:
That never occured to me. I did search for Absolutely Terrible, will not be returning on TA and found pages of reviews. Interestingly, my Inn name did not show up.
Maybe it hasn't been indexed yet. It is a new review, right? I'd just be cautious it doesn't become searchable in a week or so, if you want to stay anon.
I tried searching on a couple of the phrases and didn't come up with anything, either, but I have been able to do that in the past.
I just tried finding my own reviews using a phrase a guest used and they popped right up (review was 2 weeks ago).

• Cramped dining
Bree said:
  • Cramped dining
Bree said:
Maybe it hasn't been indexed yet. It is a new review, right? I'd just be cautious it doesn't become searchable in a week or so, if you want to stay anon.
I tried searching on a couple of the phrases and didn't come up with anything, either, but I have been able to do that in the past.
I just tried finding my own reviews using a phrase a guest used and they popped right up (review was 2 weeks ago).
Bree said:
Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I feel like I am among friends here, so I am not too worried about it....or should I be...? ;D

• Cramped dining
Bree said:
  • Cramped dining
Bree said:
Bree said:
Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I feel like I am among friends here, so I am not too worried about it....or should I be...? ;D
OK, let's look at it from a different POV...guest tells all her friends about the scathing review she wrote. They want to read it. They can't remember the name of the inn, but golly they remember (pick something they remember) and they search on Google for it (NOT on TA). Lo and behold what do they find? THIS forum.
You don't want your guest finding this forum. You don't want your guest seeing herself immortalized, vilified and laughed at. Believe me, you don't want this to happen.

• Cramped dining
Bree said:
  • Cramped dining
Bree said:
Bree said:
OK, let's look at it from a different POV...guest tells all her friends about the scathing review she wrote. They want to read it. They can't remember the name of the inn, but golly they remember (pick something they remember) and they search on Google for it (NOT on TA). Lo and behold what do they find? THIS forum.
You don't want your guest finding this forum. You don't want your guest seeing herself immortalized, vilified and laughed at. Believe me, you don't want this to happen.
Bree said:
Excellent point....I will remove it.

Thanks for all the different points of view on the topic of review responses.
I really do appreciate you input on this!

Back