To tip or not to tip

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
This was covered a while back and wanted to resurface this issue.
Do you feel obligated to tip a massage therapist? They are contracted to work where they work and set their own rates.This always bugs me, and I need to get to the bottom of it once and for all! $70 for an hour massage PLUS tip?
Your thoughts?

At $70 an hour...I don't think I would be tipping:-( THat's enough as far as I am concerned. I pay $55 for an hour, I go to her. She is the only one and the owner. I tip an extra $5. I feel that is adequate since I go weekly. Heck I am making her car payment for her as it is now :)
And, checking the clock..time for me to go....get my weekly massage
cheers.gif

At $70 an hour...I don't think I would be tipping:-( THat's enough as far as I am concerned. I pay $55 for an hour, I go to her. She is the only one and the owner. I tip an extra $5. I feel that is adequate since I go weekly. Heck I am making her car payment for her as it is now :)
And, checking the clock..time for me to go....get my weekly massage
cheers.gif
I think here they get $80 per hour and expect a tip!
RIki

I think the person getting the massage should tip. I think it's sort of a standard.. for sure.
If you as the innkeeper are bringing in a message therapist for a guest at a set rate, you (as the innkeeper), should not be required to tip. No way!

I think the etiquette of tipping is...to tip someone who is working as an employee (wait person, hairdresser, masseuse, housekeeper), but not to tip the owner of the business if they are the one providing the service. So, if you go to your hairdresser's house to get your hair cut, no tip. If you visit your gal at SuperCuts, then she should get a tip.
Same goes for massages....I would think most of those people are in business for themselves, aren't they?

I think the etiquette of tipping is...to tip someone who is working as an employee (wait person, hairdresser, masseuse, housekeeper), but not to tip the owner of the business if they are the one providing the service. So, if you go to your hairdresser's house to get your hair cut, no tip. If you visit your gal at SuperCuts, then she should get a tip.
Same goes for massages....I would think most of those people are in business for themselves, aren't they?.
I think it is customary to tip massage therapists, but am not sure. Definately would tip if they come to you at a B&B since often times they are lugging their table, etc.
I plan to have my massage people incorporate their tip in the rate that I charge so the guests know they don't have to,
RIki

The last time she came here to give a massage, she looked at me when asked how much. I said $70. She gets $50 at her studio. I feel lugging that table is worth $20. I do not take a cut. She is providing a service I can offer my guests. Happy guests is what I am about.

I think the person getting the massage should tip. I think it's sort of a standard.. for sure.
If you as the innkeeper are bringing in a message therapist for a guest at a set rate, you (as the innkeeper), should not be required to tip. No way!.
four at four forty four said:
If you as the innkeeper are bringing in a message therapist for a guest at a set rate, you (as the innkeeper), should not be required to tip. No way!
I totally agree with 444. Our massage therapist comes to our place, sets up in the guests' room and has a set fee. She is an independent operator and does not work directly for us. Any tip she receives is between her and the guest. We do let the guest know up front that any gratuity is not included.

Tip is entirely up to the guest. We let them know the cost of the hour massage and that tip is not included. The rest is up them. Most coming from the D.C. area are used to spending $100 an hour so here at $60, they usually leave tip. When I have been in her office waiting for my massage, I have seen visitors...tip her $20! Sorry, I give her $5 on top of the $55. I go every week, so I figure she makes her car payment from me:)

Back