To vacuum or not to vacuum...timing is the question.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
I was just on the phone with my other innkeeping friend (the one with the handsome husband
wink_smile.gif
).
In conversation, she mentioned that she will not vacuum past 5 pm. She thinks its disruptive. I got a chuckle out of that, but wondered what you folks do.
Do you have a cut off time for vacuuming?

I debated with myself whether to mow the grass this evening due to the noise factor with guests present and decided not to. I also have some reservations about how late to run dishwasher and dryer. Since my place is small and I usually don't absolutely have to run appliances in the evening I usually don't. I have used the 4 hour delay button on the dishwasher at night though
embaressed_smile.gif
. I'm also interested on what everyone's take is on this.

Yeah, vacuuming stops when housekeeping goes home...2 PM at the latest. However, the dryer continues to run until about now. If I have guests in the rooms that can hear it, I'll wait til they go out for dinner to start it up again.

I debated with myself whether to mow the grass this evening due to the noise factor with guests present and decided not to. I also have some reservations about how late to run dishwasher and dryer. Since my place is small and I usually don't absolutely have to run appliances in the evening I usually don't. I have used the 4 hour delay button on the dishwasher at night though
embaressed_smile.gif
. I'm also interested on what everyone's take is on this..
What I worry about with that is the running water. My dishwashers (we have 2) are not quiet in operation, either. So, I don't run any water that the guests will hear, if I can avoid it.

I have a Shark (that is the brand or what it is called) - like a Bissel carpet sweeper with an electric motor. We wer at Jommy's and the waitress was using one to clean up after a family with little ones (crumbs all over the place) - and it cleaned them up. If I have junk on the carpet in the dining room or the hall (everything shows on burgundy!) I just use the Shark which I keep in the corner in the dining room. Very quiet and works.
I would never use the vac while guests are in-house or run the mower (ours is electric so quieter than most) because I do not want to remind them of chores waiting at home or kill the illusion that all we do is greet people. God forbid they should think we actually work!

Vacuuming stops here by check-in time. We don't have to worry about dishwasher noise, but washer/dryer stops by around 8:00. Mowing, weed eating, etc is also limited to mid day, and if there are people hanging around, we try not to do it. Sometimes there's no other option though.

When you (me anyway) have 80 gallon jacuzzi's roaring in the house until 11 PM when they are all programmed to quit, running the washer or dishwasher seems irrelevant. We have actually had guests complain that 11 pm is not late enough for jacuzzi use!

When you (me anyway) have 80 gallon jacuzzi's roaring in the house until 11 PM when they are all programmed to quit, running the washer or dishwasher seems irrelevant. We have actually had guests complain that 11 pm is not late enough for jacuzzi use!.
We are so fortunate that our rooms are layed out so that it doesn't matter what time the jacuzzi's are used! I feel for you.

When you (me anyway) have 80 gallon jacuzzi's roaring in the house until 11 PM when they are all programmed to quit, running the washer or dishwasher seems irrelevant. We have actually had guests complain that 11 pm is not late enough for jacuzzi use!.
We are so fortunate that our rooms are layed out so that it doesn't matter what time the jacuzzi's are used! I feel for you.
Let me hop in here and ask: I'm thinking about putting in jacuzzis in some of the rooms. Are they much of a maintenace headache?
Thanks!

Let me hop in here and ask: I'm thinking about putting in jacuzzis in some of the rooms. Are they much of a maintenace headache?
Thanks!
arkansawyer said:
Thanks!
That depends on the quality of the units and how handy you are. First off do yourself a favor only purchase professional end units or you will kick yourself. (Griffin is an excellent company for example) have them installed correctly (professionally) with the proper mounting or you will be kicking yourself again. And lastly have them installed with access panels so you can get to them should they leak or have a problem (yikes you don't even want to know what I have been through with leaky jacuzzis ruining rooms/wallpaper/furniture/) 2 floors downwithout ripping out a wall.
Then you should be fine. Better yet, consult an architect to do it properly.

Thanks!
arkansawyer said:
Thanks!
That depends on the quality of the units and how handy you are. First off do yourself a favor only purchase professional end units or you will kick yourself. (Griffin is an excellent company for example) have them installed correctly (professionally) with the proper mounting or you will be kicking yourself again. And lastly have them installed with access panels so you can get to them should they leak or have a problem (yikes you don't even want to know what I have been through with leaky jacuzzis ruining rooms/wallpaper/furniture/) 2 floors downwithout ripping out a wall.
Excellent information!
Yes, I'm planning to use an architect for the renovation. He should know the technical stuff regarding proper installation, but I was wanting to also get input from someone like you on the pluses and minuses after the installation is done and the experts have left the building.
Thanks again!

Thanks!
arkansawyer said:
Thanks!
Excellent information!
Yes, I'm planning to use an architect for the renovation. He should know the technical stuff regarding proper installation, but I was wanting to also get input from someone like you on the pluses and minuses after the installation is done and the experts have left the building.
Thanks again!
arkansawyer said:
Excellent information!
Thanks again!
They are worth the investment and expense and will bring in the clientele. One other suggestion is to get units with sprayers. This is for people to wash their hair and they also make it easier to clean the unit. Final suggestion if you don't get jacuzzi's for 2, then don't even bother.

My cutoff time for disruptive noise of any kind is check-in time. I consider it disruptive if a guest could hear it in their room.

Thanks!
arkansawyer said:
Thanks!
Excellent information!
Thanks again!
Check out Sani Jet The water is moved by little rotors that are cleaned between guests. My double whirpool room is booked the most often. I was told that whirlpools are not as popular now as they once were, so my second new bathroom upgrade has a great shower, but it is booked much less frequently.

Thanks!
They are a pain in the arse to clean, but I would never get rid of mine. They draw in the business. As someone else stated here, if you aren't planning on putting in the 2 person tubs, don't even bother. I have 4 rooms and 3 have the doubles and 1 has the single tub and the single tub is the last to rent. Often, people will not even make a reservation if they can't get a room with a double.
Again, like most things, you must evaluate your clientel, location and room rates to see if these tubs would add business. My tubs are all older models and they have been relatively free of problems. When there is a problem though, it's really important to be able to get to the area where the motor is. I've heard good things about the Sani-jets.

My vacumning was done before the 3 pm check in's. Everything had to be done by then. Nothing noisy in our control was done after 3. Usually the neighbor cooperated as well...thankfully.

Thanks!
YES! If you keep them as sanitary as you should! There are some models out there that are better / easier than others for cleaning/sanitizing.

Thanks!
arkansawyer said:
Thanks!
If you purchase the ones with the built-in cleaning system they are great. Jacuzzis to my knowledge must be completely filled to clean which is a waste of water. We have Bath-tec which have a built in system into which you pour bleach and it cleans the whole tubing. Other than that it's the same as cleaning a bathtub. MTI also has this system but they were more expensive. We have Bath-tec now for over two years with no problems. I would not have a room without a whirlpool tub. They want it whether they use it or not. You can also get them with hand sprayers which makes cleaning easier. I have no idea why Jacuzzi won't put in a system like this in their tubs.
Riki

vacuming was 11 to 3 ... or between check out and check in if every guest was out earlier. guests staying more than one night were told that was cleaning time and never a complaint. unless of course there was a spill, then the vacume came out quick to handle it.
most difficult was getting the lawnmowers not to come to my place until 8 am at the earliest. guests wanted to sleep and three giant mowers and or weed wackers (big ones) made a ridiculous amount of noise, especially at 6 am! crazy.
as for jacuzzi's, never owned one but i love them! used to pay a premium for such a room. absolutely! one room had a jetted shower/tub for one and it was awful ... had to climb down a step to sit or stand in it and shower. not fun for two! it wasn't meant for two. no wonder that room was always available.

Vacuuming is done during room cleaning hours and is completed by 3pm and if I need to clean any spills or dirt trackings after that I use my Shark. As Gullium said they are very quiet and work quite well. My other appliances do not disturb guests so will run them as I can.
The hardest noice factor we have is related to our lawn. As the summer heats up, it is like hell to be mowing after 10AM. We do try to do our mowing on a day of no guests (summer is our off season) but at times we are mowing twice a week.

Back