Toaster oven for 'hot holding'

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
We use a toaster oven to hot hold sausage and bacon. We found it easier to do than keeping the oven warmed up. And the reason I bring this up is my neighbors had the fire dept in at 7 AM because they forgot to take the leftover sausage out of the oven at the end of the morning and turned the oven back on the next morning and walked away. Oops.

We put our sausage in a steamer and microwave it... sometimes the sausage wants to shrivel up if left in the oven on warm. Steaming just before serving plumps them back up.

I've given up on the bacon. People here like it crispy and don't mind if it's room temp. If I undercook it to hold, it crisps up too much no matter what. Microwaving for a few secs doesn't work either. So now I just cook it the way people seem to like it & leave it be.
I generally steam the sausage links and then shut off & brown right at the last minute. Today, I glazed the links with maple syrup & my dh noticed when he was cutting up some for the dogs that didn't get eaten by the second group of guests that it was a little tougher. The couple of extra pieces that were for his breakfast weren't bad though. I think that I won't "finish" them all at the same time the next time that I have 2 seatings.
It's tough to make it all come out right every single time....I learn something with every breakfast.

I cook my bacon in the oven - 300 degrees for 30 mins... it's usually almost crisp (our oven runs hot)... and then just turn the oven off to finish. we will nuke for a few seconds to reheat it before plating.

I've given up on the bacon. People here like it crispy and don't mind if it's room temp. If I undercook it to hold, it crisps up too much no matter what. Microwaving for a few secs doesn't work either. So now I just cook it the way people seem to like it & leave it be.
I generally steam the sausage links and then shut off & brown right at the last minute. Today, I glazed the links with maple syrup & my dh noticed when he was cutting up some for the dogs that didn't get eaten by the second group of guests that it was a little tougher. The couple of extra pieces that were for his breakfast weren't bad though. I think that I won't "finish" them all at the same time the next time that I have 2 seatings.
It's tough to make it all come out right every single time....I learn something with every breakfast..
We do the bacon in the oven, too, then lay it on paper towels, stack them up and wrap the whole thing in tin foil. That goes into the toaster oven. It seems to keep ok that way and we can nuke it if it's not crispy enough.
The sausage only gets cooked ahead of there's a lot of it. Otherwise, hubs puts it in a bit of water in the fry pan and just cooks until the water is gone. Hot all the way thru and browned up nicely.

George Forman grill for sausage. Every day here. A gallon of grease pours out and away from it. Cooks quick and moisture stays in.
It is not airborne either, all contained. I keep it on another side of the kitchen, so the cook top is free for my other food items.

IF I cook bacon, I use the forman grill first and a gallon of greases pours out then I toss it in the pan to crisp it.

George Forman grill for sausage. Every day here. A gallon of grease pours out and away from it. Cooks quick and moisture stays in.
It is not airborne either, all contained. I keep it on another side of the kitchen, so the cook top is free for my other food items..
I'll tell hubs about that. We ended up with 3 GF grills. Not sure how but I think it was the Christmas gift du jour one year and no one wanted them so they all came home to mom.

IF I cook bacon, I use the forman grill first and a gallon of greases pours out then I toss it in the pan to crisp it..
Cool. So the Forman grill cooks it but doesn't crisp it?
And when you say you use it for sausage, are you talking links or patties...or does it work well for both?

GF grill works for all meat. Chicken breasts will cook in about 3 or 4 minutes. Hamburgers super fast, pork chops, salmon. You know his slogan "Knock out the fat"
I cook all sausage in there, links, patties, even crumbled sausage to put into the sausage gravy. Cooking sasuage in a pan makes the grease airborne and the meat cooks in the grease. Then you have to dispose of it.
This all runs into a tray as the grill is slanted so it runs away from the meat, Then you can just take the little tray and dump it into an old can or whatever you use.
Bacon will cook but not crisp up.
Tey have come way down in price - walmart has them for pretty cheap now and I think Penney's puts them on half off pretty often. They uised to be $100 now they are like $29 for the largest size (which we can cook 8 patties at a time)
Once I cook the sausage, I just turn it down on low and it keeps it warm til served.
PS it cookes from the top and bottom, not just the bottom like a normal grill or cooktop, so it cooks twice as fast. The heat is RIGHT on it.

GF grill works for all meat. Chicken breasts will cook in about 3 or 4 minutes. Hamburgers super fast, pork chops, salmon. You know his slogan "Knock out the fat"
I cook all sausage in there, links, patties, even crumbled sausage to put into the sausage gravy. Cooking sasuage in a pan makes the grease airborne and the meat cooks in the grease. Then you have to dispose of it.
This all runs into a tray as the grill is slanted so it runs away from the meat, Then you can just take the little tray and dump it into an old can or whatever you use.
Bacon will cook but not crisp up.
Tey have come way down in price - walmart has them for pretty cheap now and I think Penney's puts them on half off pretty often. They uised to be $100 now they are like $29 for the largest size (which we can cook 8 patties at a time)
Once I cook the sausage, I just turn it down on low and it keeps it warm til served.
PS it cookes from the top and bottom, not just the bottom like a normal grill or cooktop, so it cooks twice as fast. The heat is RIGHT on it..
Sounds great. Can you throw frozen sausage right on it or does it have to be thawed first?

It is not airborne either, all contained. I keep it on another side of the kitchen, so the cook top is free for my other food items..
I'll tell hubs about that. We ended up with 3 GF grills. Not sure how but I think it was the Christmas gift du jour one year and no one wanted them so they all came home to mom.
would you like to sell one?
guilty here of putting cooked sausage on 'warm' and forgetting about the last stragglers for a few hours ... comes out like little charcoals.

FROZEN cooks fast.
The links I have as standby are always frozen.
If I get one guest I can throw it in and bobs yer uncle. No heating a pan, no thawing, nada. Super easy, preheats in about 1 minute, cooks in 1 minute (sausage links) and done.

FROZEN cooks fast.
The links I have as standby are always frozen.
If I get one guest I can throw it in and bobs yer uncle. No heating a pan, no thawing, nada. Super easy, preheats in about 1 minute, cooks in 1 minute (sausage links) and done..
Sounds great. This thread has the makings of a great article (hint hint)

IF I cook bacon, I use the forman grill first and a gallon of greases pours out then I toss it in the pan to crisp it..
We have a different brand of clamshell grill but I will keep this in mind. Of course, counter space is often at a premium in my kitchen. The bacon is doing OK. The sausage links were definitely not in the charcoal briquette stage when I served it. It was fine.

GF grills are easy to find at yard sales, if you have time to go to them.
We have been cooking our links in a frying pan, then putting them in a covered glass dish to hold warm. I bake ham slices in the juice from their package in the same glass dish, and keep them in there until I serve as the glass retains heat a lot longer than a metal dish.
I haven't tried the grill but it sounds promising...
=) Kk.

We have been cooking our links in a frying pan, then putting them in a covered glass dish to hold warm. I bake ham slices in the juice from their package in the same glass dish, and keep them in there until I serve as the glass retains heat a lot longer than a metal dish.
=) Kk..
I've found that Canadian bacon can turn into little hard discs if you walk away for 20 seconds :-( It only needs to be warmed slightly.

=) Kk..
I've found that Canadian bacon can turn into little hard discs if you walk away for 20 seconds :-( It only needs to be warmed slightly.
They do particularly in the covered glass dish. Brings them warm nice and slow as other things are baking, and the juice from the package keeps them moist.
=)
Kk.

would you like to sell one?
guilty here of putting cooked sausage on 'warm' and forgetting about the last stragglers for a few hours ... comes out like little charcoals.
If I knew where they were, I would. I still have half a house of unpacked boxes stuffed in the attic.

Back