Too bad we paid so much for it...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
...the front door that 2 of our guests cannot seem to figure out how to work. We would have been better off to just have hung a sheet over the opening. They have gone in and out of the house 4 times already this morning, leaving the door wide open so the snow can blow in. Other guests are trying to enjoy their breakfast and the cold air is blowing in until I can get there and close the door. Again.
Just now they were both standing 2 feet from the open door, inside the house, chatting. Cold air blowing right by them. Don't make me come over there.

Yell across the room "Do you need help closing the door?"
I said that yesterday, and it was 73 degrees. But the wind was gusting at 45 mph. Every time the door opened stuff went flying around the foyer.
Last weekend we have our only snow and after breakfast one couple stepped outside with a coffee cup and let the door wideopen, weirdest thing in the world, it was 28 degrees outside. When you feel the burst of cold all the way on the other side of the house and go and inspect the situation....
pita.gif

I said that yesterday, and it was 73 degrees. But the wind was gusting at 45 mph. Every time the door opened stuff went flying around the foyer.
Last weekend we have our only snow and after breakfast one couple stepped outside with a coffee cup and let the door wideopen, weirdest thing in the world, it was 28 degrees outside. When you feel the burst of cold all the way on the other side of the house and go and inspect the situation....
pita.gif
I turned the heat off. At least I'm not heating the great outdoors, too.

pita.gif
There are hinges that you can buy that don't force the door closed, but they do move it in that direction. Like these... http://www.amazon.com/Ace-Residential-Self-Closing-Hinge/dp/B000X1VV90 or those with springs in them, like http://www.amazon.com/Global-CPS4040-R-US4-M-Commercial-Mortise-Spring/dp/B00164PT7I
Or you can simply ask if they live in a barn.

pita.gif
There are hinges that you can buy that don't force the door closed, but they do move it in that direction. Like these... http://www.amazon.com/Ace-Residential-Self-Closing-Hinge/dp/B000X1VV90 or those with springs in them, like http://www.amazon.com/Global-CPS4040-R-US4-M-Commercial-Mortise-Spring/dp/B00164PT7I
We've thought about an auto closer but we get a fair number of elderly ladies who wouldn't be able to get the door open to enter and who would be shoved out when leaving. Because there's no 'landing' just the stairs, I don't want to launch the little dears onto the lawn!
We are planning to redirect the stairs at some point to create an enclosed landing, but that's down the road.
I'll take a look at the ones you posted to see if they would work without heaving granny out the door. They would definitely work on the guest room door that opens out into the hall that guests just don't ever seem to be able to close.

pita.gif
It may not work for you but we have found that having a full-view storm door that closes automatically works to keep the heat in even when guest leave the wooden front door wide open. It always amazes me that anyone would leave a place wide open but they do...all the time.

pita.gif
It may not work for you but we have found that having a full-view storm door that closes automatically works to keep the heat in even when guest leave the wooden front door wide open. It always amazes me that anyone would leave a place wide open but they do...all the time.
You hve no idea hoe much I want a screen door for this entryway. There is SUCH a good breeze right there all summer. Alas, it would have to open out and there's no landing, just the stairs. Wouldn't work. Which is why the plan is to reorient the stairs to allow for a landing.
Maybe this summer if we have a decent spring season we could do that. We've figured at least $3-5k to do the work. (Of course, once we get started then I want to add a deck as well for outdoor dining. And the list just gets longer!) Another year for the deck.

you can get ones that close more gently its just a matter of adjusting them.

pita.gif
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STERLING-SURFACE-MOUNTED-DOOR-CLOSER-WHITE-CHROME-BLACK-WOOD-EFFECT-/170729000709?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Door_Accessories_LE&var=&hash=item6d70fdd382
ie like this

Just now they were both standing 2 feet from the open door, inside the house, chatting. Cold air blowing right by them. Don't make me come over there.
For all elections other than my City elections (poll books won't match up), 2 precincts are at the high school. the precinct I have been assigned to lately is set up right in front of the doors - and on door is an automatic motion detector type. The Bond Call for the Board of Ed was in January. People would stand where the auto door would open and talk to the other people they knew! I wanted to wring a few necks! We were already wearing coats because the heat is controled by a computer somewhere - not here - and if it was on, you could not prove by us. Then the woman who was the head commissioner walked where the door opened - and my mouth said - "STUPID!! before I realized it was saying it.
It always amazes me that anyone would leave a place wide open but they do...all the time.
A woman & her daughter followed me into the house through the kitchen door - I did not close it because they were behind me. We were in the dining room talking and I noticed a strange smell. The heater behind the kitchen door was lit because it was winter - they did not shut the door behind themselves as one would expect a normal person to do in the winter. The paint on the kitchen door was bubbling and getting ready to burn. Brain Trusts!

We have some of the ones Eric mentioned on some inside doors, they are gentle closers, not enough to have it catch but at least it would allow you more time to get there to finish the task. And as cambie mentioned, our auto closures are adjusted to be on the slowest setting possible and still get it to catch. Your situation with the stair right there at the doorway does seem like an issue that must be considered in this.

We have some of the ones Eric mentioned on some inside doors, they are gentle closers, not enough to have it catch but at least it would allow you more time to get there to finish the task. And as cambie mentioned, our auto closures are adjusted to be on the slowest setting possible and still get it to catch. Your situation with the stair right there at the doorway does seem like an issue that must be considered in this..
copperhead said:
We have some of the ones Eric mentioned on some inside doors, they are gentle closers, not enough to have it catch but at least it would allow you more time to get there to finish the task. And as cambie mentioned, our auto closures are adjusted to be on the slowest setting possible and still get it to catch. Your situation with the stair right there at the doorway does seem like an issue that must be considered in this.
I used to have door closers on the screen door into my garage. Otherwise that door would have been open all the time! Let me explain something about hydraulic door closers and 30 below temps...they don't work. It's not that the door doesn't close, it's that it eats your foot closing so fast! No adjustments in the winter. And that was in the garage! Where it was warmer (slightly) than outside.
Luckily, it does not get that cold here, so I am hoping a door closer mounted inside the house on the exterior door would be ok!

Back