Too busy to check in

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iris

Reaction score
Hi all, I have been over the top busy this August.
My son coming to visit, having just graduated from US Navy nuclear engineering school in Charleston, and business booming.
I found this little commentary in my little local paper and I think you might want to read it
http://www.jimhightower.com/node/8603#.VeHLIPlViko
It will be well worth your time...
See you soon, when things slow down :)

Interesting article, but I do think that the general traveling public will fall for the "fake" independent lodging and not know and even worse, not care that they are owned by the mega-corporations. The majority of travelers are looking for a clean, well appointed room and don't care about the other aspects of the hotel. That's why we b&bs have such a small share of the market. Fortunately, there are many who prefer what we offer, but in reality, the majority of travelers couldn't care less.

Interesting article, but I do think that the general traveling public will fall for the "fake" independent lodging and not know and even worse, not care that they are owned by the mega-corporations. The majority of travelers are looking for a clean, well appointed room and don't care about the other aspects of the hotel. That's why we b&bs have such a small share of the market. Fortunately, there are many who prefer what we offer, but in reality, the majority of travelers couldn't care less..
I agree and that is fine with me. I don't want anyone staying with us that doesn't like what we offer. It is a state of mind

Interesting article, but I do think that the general traveling public will fall for the "fake" independent lodging and not know and even worse, not care that they are owned by the mega-corporations. The majority of travelers are looking for a clean, well appointed room and don't care about the other aspects of the hotel. That's why we b&bs have such a small share of the market. Fortunately, there are many who prefer what we offer, but in reality, the majority of travelers couldn't care less..
I agree and that is fine with me. I don't want anyone staying with us that doesn't like what we offer. It is a state of mind
yes I agree a state of mind set and hows the pockets? Are they lined with gold. Cause you are going to need it . cauz staying in hotels with all they have to offer :Money going out of your pockets into hotels mark ups. Called profit...
Do you see what is wrong Joe public.????
Staying at B&Bs are so worth it. And the breakfasts are worth even more. And it comes with the price of a room. WoW what a deal !

A fancy hotel is not my cup of tea, except for childhood when a big hotel was the only choice or a long ago business conference I don't visit that type of facility, just not my style.
My one stay at a B&B was wonderful and I'd love to visit them again, but on my limited travels I don't usually plan ahead well enough to be a guest at a B&B. I'm generally a "drop in" guest, I know my final destination, but have not planned my exact route and I drive till I'm tired, I just lucked in to the one B&B that I visited, I fear most here would consider me an inconvenience.

A fancy hotel is not my cup of tea, except for childhood when a big hotel was the only choice or a long ago business conference I don't visit that type of facility, just not my style.
My one stay at a B&B was wonderful and I'd love to visit them again, but on my limited travels I don't usually plan ahead well enough to be a guest at a B&B. I'm generally a "drop in" guest, I know my final destination, but have not planned my exact route and I drive till I'm tired, I just lucked in to the one B&B that I visited, I fear most here would consider me an inconvenience.
JimBoone said:
I'm generally a "drop in" guest, I know my final destination, but have not planned my exact route and I drive till I'm tired, I just lucked in to the one B&B that I visited, I fear most here would consider me an inconvenience.
We have a long time guest who is a drop in. Altho, she got skunked enough times that she now calls 2 days out. First time she showed up at 9 PM on our watch she said, 'Who are YOU???' It's been wonderful ever since.
One year she stayed on 17 separate occasions.

JimBoone said:
I'm generally a "drop in" guest, I know my final destination, but have not planned my exact route and I drive till I'm tired, I just lucked in to the one B&B that I visited, I fear most here would consider me an inconvenience.
We have a long time guest who is a drop in. Altho, she got skunked enough times that she now calls 2 days out. First time she showed up at 9 PM on our watch she said, 'Who are YOU???' It's been wonderful ever since.
That does happen, had to turn away Maxine's cousin one time when he just dropped in without warning when all rooms were full for the night.
If I were fortunate enough to be able to return to the B&B we visited a few years back I would most certainly call ahead as it would be my destination, but the time and location of a stopover between here and there would likely be by chance although having made the trip once I would have a better idea of a possible stopover.

JimBoone said:
That does happen, had to turn away Maxine's cousin one time when he just dropped in without warning when all rooms were full for the night.
If I were fortunate enough to be able to return to the B&B we visited a few years back I would most certainly call ahead as it would be my destination, but the time and location of a stopover between here and there would likely be by chance although having made the trip once I would have a better idea of a possible stopover.
Jim - We're kind of in your camp. DH likes to just go and land wherever. We're off on a road trip in the not distant future and I'd like to stay in at least one, maybe more, B&Bs. The better their reputation, the more it is wise to plan in advance, I'm going to try to compromise on a few 'hard dates' with advance reservations and leave the rest to chance. And, yep, I'm the trip planner. :)

JimBoone said:
Jim - We're kind of in your camp. DH likes to just go and land wherever. We're off on a road trip in the not distant future and I'd like to stay in at least one, maybe more, B&Bs. The better their reputation, the more it is wise to plan in advance, I'm going to try to compromise on a few 'hard dates' with advance reservations and leave the rest to chance. And, yep, I'm the trip planner. :)
I usually do solid bookings for 'anchor' points. 1st night, last night, and depending on how long the trip is, a couple in the middle. That keeps us on track for the distances we need to travel. If I were going in a popular season, I'd book every night.

Congrats on your son graduating nuke school, I hear it's pretty tough!

Jim, that's why when I travel (I'm an Innsitter), I don't stay at B&B's often.
I arrive late and leave early - not exactly an innkeeper's dream guest.

Jim, that's why when I travel (I'm an Innsitter), I don't stay at B&B's often.
I arrive late and leave early - not exactly an innkeeper's dream guest.
You are DH's favorite kind of guest!
devil_smile.gif

Back