Too much perfume or cologne

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country Girl

Reaction score
What do you do when a guest wears too much perfume or cologne and the scent lingers long after they've left, even if you've opened the windows? I've tried using Febreeze and other products to remove the odors but that just adds one scent on top of another. Does anyone know of a really good odor neutralizer that eliminates odors without covering them? Thanks.

JB turned the forum on to this but then they've been to a couple of the Mid-Atlantic B&B Conferences - it's great stuff. http://www.magic-zymes.com/
I have the industrial size on hand, some in a spray bottle and a few containers of the pearls (one in the hall powder room). They work well and no odor is added.

What else can you spray on CARPET? People talk about bath mats not being clean, what about an entire room carpet or area rug? Magic Zymes is what we use here. Tell them we sent you...
These perfume bathers spray it in the middle of the room and it gets into everything, I can taste it just typing this. Knowing they just came down the stairs as their scent lingers, oi veigh, drives me insane. I have not had this for a while, I guess my time is due here. Last time was a dude, blech made my stomach turn the cologne was so strong, my eyes burned.
Sueellen on this forum turned me onto Magic Zymes, I just promoted it and told them to go to some innkeeper conference with my testimonial, I believe it works, I use it on stuffy furniture in the guest rooms in between seasons as well. There are a couple "odd smells" that arise from time to time.

What else can you spray on CARPET? People talk about bath mats not being clean, what about an entire room carpet or area rug? Magic Zymes is what we use here. Tell them we sent you...
These perfume bathers spray it in the middle of the room and it gets into everything, I can taste it just typing this. Knowing they just came down the stairs as their scent lingers, oi veigh, drives me insane. I have not had this for a while, I guess my time is due here. Last time was a dude, blech made my stomach turn the cologne was so strong, my eyes burned.
Sueellen on this forum turned me onto Magic Zymes, I just promoted it and told them to go to some innkeeper conference with my testimonial, I believe it works, I use it on stuffy furniture in the guest rooms in between seasons as well. There are a couple "odd smells" that arise from time to time..
Side track:
I went to a women's retreat at a local church- 150 women for an entire day. I thought I was going to pass out from the onslaught of the odors of the different perfumes. Migraine sufferer that I am, I was ill for two days after that.
One or two women, with access to the great outdoors, or at least open windows, doesn't bother me. A busload of women, with not access to the outside and no open windows- please have mercy....

Vinegar. Put a little vinegar and water in spritz bottle and spray away.

Until you can get the Magic-zymes, put some vanilla into a small dish in the room. It will absorb the odor and leave a faint pleasant - if anything - vanilla aroma. I used that to overcome the appalling odor during my late b-i-l's illness "by-product" one weekend. It worked quite well.

Alcohol, like rubbing alcohol or vodka will help. Add a little vanilla extract.

Lysol works somewhat!
Put a [COLOR= rgb(57, 57, 57)] sign on door, if you wear too much perfume all the guests will smell you?[/COLOR]
I'm sure there is a nicer way to put it so please feel free to comment as I would love to have a sign up.

Alcohol, like rubbing alcohol or vodka will help. Add a little vanilla extract..
Vodka, that's what I meant, not vinegar. Duh. In a bowl, in the room, like you said.
Madeleine said:
Vodka, that's what I meant, not vinegar. Duh. In a bowl, in the room, like you said.
I may have to drink a little first
regular_smile.gif

CG I thought of you when I read this today:
Conn. teen's body spray sets off school fire alarm
May 11, 9:27 AM (ET)
MIDDLETOWN, Conn. (AP) - Officials say a fire alarm that went off at a Connecticut high school was activated by a student's "overabundance" of body spray in a locker room.
Firefighters were called to Middletown High School shortly after 3 p.m. Thursday.
Officials told The Middletown Press ( ) that the student used an excessive amount of the scented spray and created a cloud of mist right below a heat sensor, which tripped the fire alarm. http://bit.ly/Kej9rY
Firefighters allowed students and teachers to return to the building shortly after arriving.

CG I thought of you when I read this today:
Conn. teen's body spray sets off school fire alarm
May 11, 9:27 AM (ET)
MIDDLETOWN, Conn. (AP) - Officials say a fire alarm that went off at a Connecticut high school was activated by a student's "overabundance" of body spray in a locker room.
Firefighters were called to Middletown High School shortly after 3 p.m. Thursday.
Officials told The Middletown Press ( ) that the student used an excessive amount of the scented spray and created a cloud of mist right below a heat sensor, which tripped the fire alarm. http://bit.ly/Kej9rY
Firefighters allowed students and teachers to return to the building shortly after arriving..
Wanna see what else that high school students do? Need a laugh, look at this search on Twitter.... twitter.com/#!/search/smell%20colon
I love this one...
Closest person sitting 3 computers away. I can smell his colon from here as if he's spraying it in my face.

Back