Too Much Vitamin D3

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmptyNest

Reaction score
I was just talking to my husband this morning about this. Just wanted to put this out there for some comment. Guess I ask the Dr. when I have my check up.
I am noticing that everything seems to be adding Vit D to products. The Vitamin I take has 250% of the RDA for Vit. D 3 and then my calcium supplement..if I take the 1200 mg a day I should...is giving me another 250% of Vit D..plus it is is other products we eat etc etc etc. I am getting concerned about getting too much of it. Why does everyone need to add it to their supplements and in foods. It is a Fat Soluable vitamin so..it can stay in the system a long time and now I am reading problems associated with overdosing on Vit D.
So what are we supposed to do???

Don't eat processed foods. Sorry, I know that is flip, but it's true. Take your supplements, get some daily sunshine and skip the processed foods.

Don't eat processed foods. Sorry, I know that is flip, but it's true. Take your supplements, get some daily sunshine and skip the processed foods..
I don't eat processed foods...or I will say...very limited. No fast foods what so ever.
I was thinking about milk with Vit. D. I think I am getting way toooo much Vit D. from the supplements. All the supplements I take...have at least 250% over the RDA for Vit. D. Getting all of that and then in foods and being outside as well...concerns for too much...can cause kidney problems as well as other issues.

The new standard for vit D3 is 2000 IU a day and if you are dark skinned you may need even more. If you are out in the sunshine you can lower it.

The new standard for vit D3 is 2000 IU a day and if you are dark skinned you may need even more. If you are out in the sunshine you can lower it..
Yes I know that...what I am saying is I am getting WAY MORE than I need because every supplement is adding it to their products. It is going crazy overkill!

Don't eat processed foods. Sorry, I know that is flip, but it's true. Take your supplements, get some daily sunshine and skip the processed foods..
I don't eat processed foods...or I will say...very limited. No fast foods what so ever.
I was thinking about milk with Vit. D. I think I am getting way toooo much Vit D. from the supplements. All the supplements I take...have at least 250% over the RDA for Vit. D. Getting all of that and then in foods and being outside as well...concerns for too much...can cause kidney problems as well as other issues.
Maybe back off the supplements for the summer?

you are going to see even MORE of it apparently ... just saw this article
What Do You Lack? Probably Vitamin D[/h1]thought of you right away!
seems to me, they used to put vitamin C in everything possible ... does that seem familiar?
now it's D

My dh's routine blood work showed very low levels of Vit D and he's now on a supplement. He works in an air conditioned office all day and doesn't really eat much in the way of dairy products. He's now up to the low end of "normal". He was asking me the same thing about all the Vit D and Calcium added to products now.

seems to me, they used to put vitamin C in everything possible ... does that seem familiar?
now it's D.
Thanks for the link. This has helped me understand and not feel quite as concerned..but if they are adding it in everywhere..we all could be consuming more than we need
". ...Healthy adults have taken 10,000 I.U. a day for six months or longer with no adverse effects. People with a serious vitamin D deficiency are often prescribed weekly doses of 50,000 units until the problem is corrected. To minimize the risk of any long-term toxicity, these experts recommend that adults take a daily supplement of 1,000 to 2,000 units."

now it's D.
Thanks for the link. This has helped me understand and not feel quite as concerned..but if they are adding it in everywhere..we all could be consuming more than we need
". ...Healthy adults have taken 10,000 I.U. a day for six months or longer with no adverse effects. People with a serious vitamin D deficiency are often prescribed weekly doses of 50,000 units until the problem is corrected. To minimize the risk of any long-term toxicity, these experts recommend that adults take a daily supplement of 1,000 to 2,000 units."
I was diagnosed last year with a severe vitamin D deficiency and had to take the prescription dose of 50,000 units once a week for 8 weeks. Now I have to remember to take my supplement of 2,000 a day. At the end of the prescription for the 50,000 I took a vacation in the tropics and broke out in horrible heat rash...I couldn't be out on the beach (in the shade) for more than an hour at a time. I think I may have had an overdoes of D because I had never experienced a reaction to the heat/sun before. I just hope that it never happens again!

One of my friends had calcium deposits from too much calcium and warned me because she knew I took a Calcium/D supplements. I have now cut back to taking this one every other day instead. I do consume dairy every day and I am getting at least 15 minutes of sun each day.

Back