Too tastefully hidden...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Handed Jill

Reaction score
We recently had guests who, I discovered after their departure, had "run out" of toilet paper. I was actually really surprised to see the empty spool, since I had a spare roll in the bathroom. Unfortunately, the spare roll was in a lidded basket, and I guess they never looked inside the basket. (They also never asked for more.) I don't know when this happened exactly, but they did decide to use a different guest bathroom (that will teach me to leave doors unlocked). Didn't take/move the roll of tp, just took care of business in there.
So, right now, I think my lidded basket is too subtle. I guess I will just leave the spare, wrapped roll out...but I just find that unsightly. What do you all do?

Many use those crocheted "roll covers". I made reed baskets that are nect to the toilets with extra rolls in them. No searching needed. I also have some extra in the drawer of the antique washstand in the shared bath.
Some also use one of those dowel rods (like a borrm handle) stuck in a wood round and the extra rolls stacked up the "pole". That can be discreetly put in a corner.

I've done both ways. Most guests will figure out what's under the basket just by the shape. But there's always the odd guest who just has no idea what's under there.
I do think the spare wrapped roll by it self is a bit unsightly. But it does leave no doubt as to where the spare roll is.

Some people are just a bit daft we had a lady come to us saying they had run out so happily handed a roll over but when they popped out went to have a look to comfort my mum who was sure she had but two extra rolls in there earlier and discovered there was the two on the stand next to the toilet (no cover or anything) and they couldn't find them.

I have one room tath has a basket with the lid removed. The other bathrooms have 'tp cozies' just a little cloth bag that sits on the back of the toilet. Hopefully obvious, but maybe not!

Some people are just a bit daft we had a lady come to us saying they had run out so happily handed a roll over but when they popped out went to have a look to comfort my mum who was sure she had but two extra rolls in there earlier and discovered there was the two on the stand next to the toilet (no cover or anything) and they couldn't find them..
Some people are just a bit daft we had a lady come to us saying they had run out so happily handed a roll over but when they popped out went to have a look to comfort my mum who was sure she had but two extra rolls in there earlier and discovered there was the two on the stand next to the toilet (no cover or anything) and they couldn't find them.
You know I think when some folks are outside of their comfort zone and things aren't exactly where they keep them at home, sometimes they just don't see them. Even when they're right in front of them. For those folks, not really much you can do. They'll seem a bit daft, no matter what.

Well it is a pet peeve of mine, so I used to have a spare roll near the toilet somewhere - but leaving room for guests stuff. I am also the one who replaces the roll if it is even close to 3/4 or below. I often just put fresh rolls in every bathroom. Last year I bought these (pictured similar below) and put them on every guest room toilet AND our own.
I have to say my burden has been to use TP that is 1/8 or less nearly every place I have been in the last year!
SINGLE (not double or they would get wee'd on!)
reg-15420.jpg

Well it is a pet peeve of mine, so I used to have a spare roll near the toilet somewhere - but leaving room for guests stuff. I am also the one who replaces the roll if it is even close to 3/4 or below. I often just put fresh rolls in every bathroom. Last year I bought these (pictured similar below) and put them on every guest room toilet AND our own.
I have to say my burden has been to use TP that is 1/8 or less nearly every place I have been in the last year!
reg-15420.jpg
Whered' you get those?

Walmart.
and...like mentioned if you get them for two rolls they hang a bit low and are in the AIM spot, if you know what I mean.

Walmart.
and...like mentioned if you get them for two rolls they hang a bit low and are in the AIM spot, if you know what I mean..
Yup. Would put them out for one roll only. Like how they're obvious, not sure about when the toilets sweat in the summer...is that an issue?

You have toilet condensation? You can buy cistern insulators for that (Lowe's/Home Depot).
Even if they did, the tp is away from the toilet itself.

Actually I do have a double holder in my own bathroom, I just looked and it is over an inch away from the tank.

reg-15420.jpg
Very handy. Obvious but not in the way.

You have toilet condensation? You can buy cistern insulators for that (Lowe's/Home Depot).
Even if they did, the tp is away from the toilet itself..
Everything sweats here in the summer! My bathroom floor (on a slab) is awful.

I have many rolls in each room
I keep them in the cabinet/towel holder over the toilet and have never had anyone ask, one of them has glass doors so it is probably easier to find,
Just leave the lid of your basket open, once they see where the extra tp is they will close it up

Back