Took less than five minutes

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Less than five minutes and part of a two room couples check in were trying to get in my kitchen. I know this may see a strange question and DH already answered it for me, but doesn't a closed door mean knock? or don't go in there? He said to groups and couples and old people it means "OPEN!"
Now being the seasoned wise cracker,ahem, wise one that I am, I locked the kitchen door before check in and watched from the other side as this guy struggled trying to break through!

Maybe we all need to put a funny plaque on all closed doors - "Remember: Curiousity killed the cat!" lol

Maybe we all need to put a funny plaque on all closed doors - "Remember: Curiousity killed the cat!" lol.
copperhead said:
Maybe we all need to put a funny plaque on all closed doors - "Remember: Curiousity killed the cat!" lol
Those guest who don't know there is a B&B 2 miles from them walked into my bedroom last night. I was IN bed in my jammies. We don't lock our door until 9 PM because we are in and out of the inn all day long. (After a 6 hour, 350 mile drive, I was exhausted last night!) No idea what they were thinking. We SHOW guests the difference between the doors. 'YOUR door has this NAME PLATE on it. MY door has nothing.'
Gomez was all for putting a 'Beware of dog' sign on our door, except it would probably encourage dog lovers to enter anyway!

Maybe we all need to put a funny plaque on all closed doors - "Remember: Curiousity killed the cat!" lol.
copperhead said:
Those guest who don't know there is a B&B 2 miles from them walked into my bedroom last night. I was IN bed in my jammies. We don't lock our door until 9 PM because we are in and out of the inn all day long. (After a 6 hour, 350 mile drive, I was exhausted last night!) No idea what they were thinking. We SHOW guests the difference between the doors. 'YOUR door has this NAME PLATE on it. MY door has nothing.'
Gomez was all for putting a 'Beware of dog' sign on our door, except it would probably encourage dog lovers to enter anyway!
whattha.gif
- but who was more shocked????
How often when you read things like this on the forum do you think to yourself "this never happens here".... I have thought this myself - but how would we know unless we caught them? Whether it be your private living area or just laundry or storage - And honestly, a sign marked private is as inviting as one that says "come on in".
We put a code lock on our private area - wonder how many try the code we gave them for the front door?
I am still loving the idea posted on the forum for the private restroom near the common area - the fake person siting on the porcelain throne

copperhead said:
whattha.gif
- but who was more shocked????
How often when you read things like this on the forum do you think to yourself "this never happens here".... I have thought this myself - but how would we know unless we caught them? Whether it be your private living area or just laundry or storage - And honestly, a sign marked private is as inviting as one that says "come on in".
We put a code lock on our private area - wonder how many try the code we gave them for the front door?
I am still loving the idea posted on the forum for the private restroom near the common area - the fake person siting on the porcelain throne
copperhead said:
How often when you read things like this on the forum do you think to yourself "this never happens here"....
After 7 seasons of running a B&B I've learned "Never say never". I'm still flabbergasted by some of the things that people do, and I shouldn't be by now.
I actually put a paragraph in our guest room information that says "Please respect our privacy by not wandering in and out of rooms downstairs. If you require any assistance please use the hand bell on the desk in the hall".
That has had a noticable effect, although we still get the odd one who thinks it's acceptable to have a look around in someone elses home without invitation.

It is named Christian Louboutin for the reason that man who create Christian Louboutin shoes. At the same time, it's helpful to reduce the risk of injury for the player. If you think your feet should be protected well during the strenuous exercise, the Christian Louboutin Pumps are the right choice for you. There are many Cheap Christian Louboutin Heels from our shop. If you want to learn more informations of those Christian Louboutin Boots, please visite our website http://www.louboutinshopsale.com/. Are you looking for a comfortable shoes? We are ready for you to give you great discount Christian Louboutin Sandals and best service. aaa

If you are looking for a pair of pretty UGG Boots, you shouldn't miss this chance for purchasing UGG Classic Cardy Boots this season in our shop. Ugg Bailey Button would give people such a deep impression. UGG Classic Short Boots appreciate it not only by the high quality with steady innovations but also by its stylish designs. There is no doubt that it could go well with you casual outfits. There are many kinds of UGG Classic Tall Boots for different ages and tastes online. So pick up your own UGG Sandals now.

Hj, I have this vivid funny picture now when you mentioned handbells. You may not be aware of a southern tradition called Handbells... I should put a whole selection out there with music!
images
images
images

Hj, I have this vivid funny picture now when you mentioned handbells. You may not be aware of a southern tradition called Handbells... I should put a whole selection out there with music!
images
images
images
We had an inn-mate out west who has moved on to a better arrangement for her place than B & B for her family that was in a handbell group. This reminded me of her.

and so...wait for it. I have the front door open as it is lovely out and a full house of guests going in and out with coffee now. HE stands right outside the front door with a CIGAR. AT BREAKFAST TIME! It is filling the entire downstairs with cigar smoke. I walk out FROM the back of the house - kitchen and am like, what the! I close the door and apologize to the GUESTS who were going out and in, we can't fill the whole house with cigar smoke. HINT HINT. They all just rolled their eyes, like NO KIDDING SMOKE RIGHT AT THE FRONT DOOR! (Need I mention we have 130 foot porch, 130 feet to smoke elsewhere than the front door) or the grounds or anyplace anywhere any other time.
So the wife of the cigar man tells me they are opening a B&B. Bless their hearts.

and so...wait for it. I have the front door open as it is lovely out and a full house of guests going in and out with coffee now. HE stands right outside the front door with a CIGAR. AT BREAKFAST TIME! It is filling the entire downstairs with cigar smoke. I walk out FROM the back of the house - kitchen and am like, what the! I close the door and apologize to the GUESTS who were going out and in, we can't fill the whole house with cigar smoke. HINT HINT. They all just rolled their eyes, like NO KIDDING SMOKE RIGHT AT THE FRONT DOOR! (Need I mention we have 130 foot porch, 130 feet to smoke elsewhere than the front door) or the grounds or anyplace anywhere any other time.
So the wife of the cigar man tells me they are opening a B&B. Bless their hearts..
They always smoke in front of the open doors/windows. ALL of them. No matter what area is provided.

images
images
images
Joey Bloggs said:
You may not be aware of a southern tradition called Handbells...
I rang handbells in the local Methodist handbell choir for 25 years. Technically, those are called "English Handbells". Wikipedia says "The first tuned handbells were developed by brothers Robert and William Cor in Aldbourne, Wiltshire, England between 1696 and 1724."
Our national handbell ringers association is called "The American Guild of English Handbell Ringers." So I'm sure HJ knows about tuned handbells. The one on his hall desk is probably a bright C#.

images
images
images
Joey Bloggs said:
You ARE easily distracted, aren't you?
regular_smile.gif

So the wife of the cigar man tells me they are opening a B&B. Bless their hearts..
Joey Bloggs said:
So the wife of the cigar man tells me they are opening a B&B. Bless their hearts.
Hey that's a great niche! They will get all the people who can't believe we are non smoking !!!!
Riki

images
images
images
Joey Bloggs said:
regular_smile.gif

Proud Texan said:
Joey Bloggs said:
regular_smile.gif
Innkeeper A.D.D.
confused_smile.gif

I just printed out the we are a non smoking B&B, please refrain from smoking on our porch, there are ashtrays provided by the ponds. !! Next letter will read Smoking on the porch leads to exile...beyond the ponds.

images
images
images
Joey Bloggs said:
regular_smile.gif

Proud Texan said:
Joey Bloggs said:
regular_smile.gif
Innkeeper A.D.D.
confused_smile.gif

I just printed out the we are a non smoking B&B, please refrain from smoking on our porch, there are ashtrays provided by the ponds. !! Next letter will read Smoking on the porch leads to exile...beyond the ponds.
There's a law in our state that says they have to be at least 10 feet away from any door or window.

BD we only THIS year have non smoking in restaurants here...they grow tobacco here so the last strong hold on that. And btw, they still smoke in the restaurants, unlike say CA once is a hefty fine, twice they close you down. here...ready for this...$25 fine. They interviewed a few businesses where the proprieters smoked on the job and say "Fine me $25, it's no big deal." GRRR

images
images
images
Joey Bloggs said:
regular_smile.gif

Proud Texan said:
Joey Bloggs said:
regular_smile.gif
Innkeeper A.D.D.
confused_smile.gif

There's a law in our state that says they have to be at least 10 feet away from any door or window.
Breakfast Diva said:
I think here it is farther. I need to contact someone and get the little signs from the state so guests don't ignore them thinking it's just me being a pill.

Odd, how since I put up the 'private' signs I have had fewer (altho not zero) trespassers (that I know of).

images
images
images
Joey Bloggs said:
regular_smile.gif

Proud Texan said:
Joey Bloggs said:
regular_smile.gif
Innkeeper A.D.D.
confused_smile.gif

Breakfast Diva said:
I think here it is farther. I need to contact someone and get the little signs from the state so guests don't ignore them thinking it's just me being a pill.
Great idea! Make the state the bad guy, not you!

Back