Took me long enough to figure this one out

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBeachHouse

Reaction score
The one nighters - especially in the fall - will leave early. They don’t want to be here. Here is simply part way between where they left and where they really want to be. Don’t let the door hit you.....

Yes, this is true, but looking back on mine I have a lot who #1 - can only get away for one night and desperately NEED that breather or #2 - have a special occasion but can only afford 1 night (or can only get someone to babysit for 1 night). Being on an Interstate corridor I get a lot of 1-night. Often it is an almost home but that next 2 or 3 hours drive would be the "bridge too far". They take their time in the morning.

Years ago I had a booking from a couple from Staten Island - he asked when making the reservation if they could book one night and then a week later come back for 1 night. Of course! I happened to be on the porch as he got out of the car (he did not see me) and I heard him say as he stretched and took a deep breath, "It is so good to be home!" THAT felt good to hear.

The one nighters - especially in the fall - will leave early. Here is simply part way between where they left and where they really want to be.

I hear you. This too, is an in-between place for many and the chief reason I still take one nighters in most units. About half my biz. As I wind down in a few years I'll probably stop taking them. Oddly Covid resulted in many more 2-3 nighters. I guess I'll take the upsides where they come. :)

We had that all summer. We were halfway to Bar Harbor. We got a lot of people trying to book one night on a Friday so they could get to their rental house early on Saturday. Um, no.

This year our weekends require 2 nights, unless perhaps there is an odd room available at the last minute. I tend to feel some of our local places take advantage of folks with their pricing, but the tradeoff is that I need both nights to offer the more reasonable prices.

Yes, the one nighters are just heads in the beds and don't give a darn about us or the inn. We used to only have a 2 night minimum on Saturdays. This year we decided on a 2 night minimum for ALL reservations. Wow! What a difference it's made re our time spent on cleaning, laundry, check ins, check out, etc, plus cost of supplies. AND it's still been our busiest year ever in 16! And the guests are far superior. The few rooms we took before implementing our minimums usually don't even take the time or care to say goodbye. Good riddance.

Thanks for posting this thread and sharing comments. The number of one nighters this fall has been more exhausting than usual. Although we have received some great reviews and comments from them, they are a bit taxing. We started blocking rooms so we can make it til the end of the season. I appreciate the candid comments. We are thinking of possibly making every month a 2 night minimum and if needed open it to one nighters 30 or 45 days out. But as several have noted, they are here for a bed, and sometimes don't give a hoot about us as they show up late, etc.

Hope you're charging a single night surcharge. I add $9 extra for a one night stay. Not gonna get rich on that, but nobody complains, and over a year it adds up to hundreds. A nice tip I make them give me to cover the trouble/expense of dealing with them for just one night.

I love filling my widowed rooms with one-nighters. They come in late, leave early, usually don't make that much of a mess.
The best part: Many at breakfast say "This place is so amazing we should have planned to stay more than one night!"
Yes, yes you should have. And next time will.

Well, we don't have a 1 night surcharge, but instead the 10% discount for booking on our website doesn't apply to 1 nighters.... so end result is the same

On the other hand, one one-nighter just made a reservation for next year for three nights. Most are on their way to Maine and say, “we should have stayed here!” But they don’t usually make the reservation! 😁

On the other hand, one one-nighter just made a reservation for next year for three nights. Most are on their way to Maine and say, “we should have stayed here!” But they don’t usually make the reservation! 😁
When are you closing for the season? After the crap we’ve been thru this year, I need a vacation.

Hope you're charging a single night surcharge. I add $9 extra for a one night stay. Not gonna get rich on that, but nobody complains, and over a year it adds up to hundreds. A nice tip I make them give me to cover the trouble/expense of dealing with them for just one night.
Covers cleaning costs - that's a help!!

I hear that!! We close 11/15. Less than one month. Looking forward to some R&R for ourselves. God Bless you all for serving others with cheer and grace. Rest up - next year is just around the corner.

Our first year, we allowed single nights... never again. Too much work.
After that, we opened up single nights only between other reservations. Those nights, became everyone's "splurge" night. So, we put up the price of a single night, still booked, more cash in the pocket.

This year with COVID, we block out single nights (and sometimes double nights) between guests and we are enjoying guests who are staying longer periods to visit their kids in town. Which is nice.

But a LOT of our competition closed. Honestly, wish I had the money, there are a few places for sale, motels, B&Bs, hotels, even failed places that just need the money for someone to fix them. One is about 20 minutes away from GoodScout, but on this side of the border... 15/20 minutes from Sutton, Owl's Head and Jay Peak.... the owners just don't have vision.

Back