Took the plunge on Air

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skamokawa

Reaction score
Listed the small room on the air site. Our vacation rental is occupied until mid April. All the other B&Bs in the area have one or more rooms listed there, so time to give it a whirl. Listing is visible under my name here in WA plus private room. Priced to accommodate taxes so higher than direct booking from our site.

DH told me he had had no luck with Air. His proposed explanation is that we charge to much and people who go there are looking for a cheap place to crash.
May be true in our area, but perhaps not all over. Interested to see how you do!

Our vacation rental apartment has done well on the air site. Guests skew toward millennials, and we need to reach out to that group (more boomers in our B&B rooms), so we'll see how it goes. Love that there is no ill will toward us in the event of cancellations, so no taking it out in reviews. Plus on Air, guests are reviewed too.
regular_smile.gif

My last guests who came to me from Air gave me a great TA review and said my place was an excellent value at $129. I don't think we should assume they're all bargain hunters looking for an $18 couch to sleep on.

DH told me he had had no luck with Air. His proposed explanation is that we charge to much and people who go there are looking for a cheap place to crash.
May be true in our area, but perhaps not all over. Interested to see how you do!.
I listed us on Air back in December and have already gotten 2 reservations - one for 2 nights and one for 3 nights. Our price is $200 a night, so on the $600 reservation I only paid $18 commission. So not everyone is looking for a cheap room and since it costs nothing to list, you get to review the guests and the commission is so low I would recommend trying it again.

The only time I get booking requests from air is during peak holiday periods. Then they don't look at the premium rates for those weeks, they quote me our out-of season rates. They want Presidents' Day Weekend for dead-of-November prices.
angry_smile.gif

I always respond with an email, telling them what the rate is for the week they want and suggest they go directly to our site to book (you can do this if you don't actually email the link or use the word "website." If you do, the air gremlins delete it before passing it on to the prospect)
In all cases to date, I never hear back from them. They're bottom-feeders to me, but I stay listed in hopes that one day I'll catch a marlin!

May be true in our area, but perhaps not all over. Interested to see how you do!.
I listed us on Air back in December and have already gotten 2 reservations - one for 2 nights and one for 3 nights. Our price is $200 a night, so on the $600 reservation I only paid $18 commission. So not everyone is looking for a cheap room and since it costs nothing to list, you get to review the guests and the commission is so low I would recommend trying it again.
you are not paying the commission - it is the credit card processing fee of 3%

I have put bedrooms and apartments on Air. Apartments do better.

The only time I get booking requests from air is during peak holiday periods. Then they don't look at the premium rates for those weeks, they quote me our out-of season rates. They want Presidents' Day Weekend for dead-of-November prices.
angry_smile.gif

I always respond with an email, telling them what the rate is for the week they want and suggest they go directly to our site to book (you can do this if you don't actually email the link or use the word "website." If you do, the air gremlins delete it before passing it on to the prospect)
In all cases to date, I never hear back from them. They're bottom-feeders to me, but I stay listed in hopes that one day I'll catch a marlin!.
This is what has kept us away, but I can imagine is great for a mixed bag of folks who have some discretion to splurge a little bit during a portion of their holiday travels.

I have one room that inconsistently the last to get booked. Why? Don't know. I look at the description and I can't figure it out. It's actually my second largest. Might try this one room on Air B. Does anyone else just do one room?

I have one room that inconsistently the last to get booked. Why? Don't know. I look at the description and I can't figure it out. It's actually my second largest. Might try this one room on Air B. Does anyone else just do one room?.
2cat_lady said:
I have one room that inconsistently the last to get booked. Why? Don't know. I look at the description and I can't figure it out. It's actually my second largest. Might try this one room on Air B. Does anyone else just do one room?
have you asked the experts?
I am sure they, er we, can come up with the reason it is booked last. If you give us a link maybe we can guess which one it is and why? Like why WE WOULD CHOOSE it last?

I have one room that inconsistently the last to get booked. Why? Don't know. I look at the description and I can't figure it out. It's actually my second largest. Might try this one room on Air B. Does anyone else just do one room?.
2cat_lady said:
I am sure they, er we, can come up with the reason it is booked last. If you give us a link maybe we can guess which one it is and why? Like why WE WOULD CHOOSE it last?
Joey Bloggs said:
2cat_lady said:
I'll second this. The gang here has helped immensely when I had rooms that just didn't book.
Some things you can't fix, but we'll try to help if you want.

It is the GOLDEN room?
Here is something else. Your room rate may say $120 then when I put in the date it shows $100, there is a feature on REZKEY that allows you to retain that same $120 with a line thru it and a new RED $100 showing it is discounted, and a special rate and HOT!

I list one room. It WAS the one with a full-size bed - now it has queen - but is still a shared bath.

I need to come and visit and take photos with you!
Really it would be a blast, You mention views and then don't show them, I be those view would sell your rooms like hotcakes 2Cat_lady!

2cat_lady said:
Would love the family's input! The room that's always the last is Golden Bay.
https://v2.reservationkey.com/3566/reserve

2cat_lady said:
Well now that you mention it....
I have my original web page designer coming, hopefully, tomorrow and he'll tutor me on taking over the administrative duties of my page. I guess I've been bugging him nonstop since I joined the forum with a million changes and suggestions that he offered to teach me how to change things up on my own! Very excited. And definitely, views on the rooms will be included.

It is the GOLDEN room?
Here is something else. Your room rate may say $120 then when I put in the date it shows $100, there is a feature on REZKEY that allows you to retain that same $120 with a line thru it and a new RED $100 showing it is discounted, and a special rate and HOT!.
Did not know that. Will do!

2cat_lady said:
2cat_lady said:
How did I guess that was the room? Here's how:
Green says "has a beautiful view of"
Grey says "has wonderful views of"
Golden says "have a good view of"
and
Grey says "Your bright and spacious private, detatched bathroom is just a few steps away."
Golden says "Your private, detached bathroom is just a few steps down the hallway."
Golden appears the be the red-headed step child.

2cat_lady said:
2cat_lady said:
and
Grey says "Your bright and spacious private, detatched bathroom is just a few steps away."
Golden says "Your private, detached bathroom is just a few steps down the hallway."
Joey Bloggs said:
2cat_lady said:
and
Haha. You caught me. Golden Bay, although it is the second largest, isn't the best room. Blue Cove and Green's Harbour's views are awesome. They face the ocean directly. Golden Bay is more of a side view of two different bays, both ocean views but not dead on. And you do have to walk a few more steps to its private bathroom than the other two. (The other one is ensuite) I was trying to be as truthful as possible so that anyone arriving felt that I had duped them. It' still an awesome room, very bright, but geez, I don't want them thinking they've reserved a room at the Hilton, lol!

Back