Top 10 Inn Marketing tips for B & B's

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
JB - I apologize if this was already posted here, I saw it and thought it was good info. It is one year old, so might require some updates
This is from Lodging Daily http://paper.li/forfeng/lodging3
Inn Marketing | Inn Marketing Tips | B & B Marketing Tips
mikesroadtrip.com - Inn Marketing | Top 10 Inn Marketing tips for B & Bs | Bed and Breakfast Marketing Tips For the avid traveler there are a plethora of lodging choices, most of which come in the form of a generic ho...

Let me throw this out there...I know lots of restaurants have birthday clubs but are you really going to give your birthdate along with your credit card number to someone you don't really know? They've got your address, phone number, email already. How much more info are people willing to give out?
OTOH, do you the innkeeper really want to keep up with 2000+ different birthdays every year? I'm not sure this guy really understands HOW MANY people come thru the door each year! I could spend an hour each day just printing and mailing birthday cards!
Yes, curmudgeon here. I did not want to hear from every hotel I stayed at this year, but I have. In that regard I am only adding guests to my email newsletter who have specifically ticked the box that they want to hear from us again.
This year DH got a birthday card from the credit company that does our medical payments. Seriously?

Take it with a grain of salt, this dude is not an innkeeper. Like every article and every person on this forum glean what you want. I post stuff here for ideas for people, and the only remarks are always negatory, grammer correcting and such. (I did that on purpose I know it is grammar).
I post them for the benefit of the forum. I have to defend every thing I post here when many may find it useful, it is tiring. I anounce FREE marketing Innteractive Inns (I have DONE ALL THE WORK ON THAT) "your header sucks" and yet no articles are written by that person. Everyone is a critic.
Let's just go back to talking muffin recipes...kumbaya (PS Trivia usless info alert - this song is from the Gullahs on South Carolina)
smileystooges.gif

Take it with a grain of salt, this dude is not an innkeeper. Like every article and every person on this forum glean what you want. I post stuff here for ideas for people, and the only remarks are always negatory, grammer correcting and such. (I did that on purpose I know it is grammar).
I post them for the benefit of the forum. I have to defend every thing I post here when many may find it useful, it is tiring. I anounce FREE marketing Innteractive Inns (I have DONE ALL THE WORK ON THAT) "your header sucks" and yet no articles are written by that person. Everyone is a critic.
Let's just go back to talking muffin recipes...kumbaya (PS Trivia usless info alert - this song is from the Gullahs on South Carolina)
smileystooges.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
...the only remarks are always negatory, grammar correcting and such...I have to defend every thing I post here...
I've posted a few things that others tore apart too, so I know the feeling of taking it personally, but I think we have to fight that feeling and realize it's human nature to post criticisms (the old deal of people with positive experiences telling 5 and negative experiences telling 50).
So keep posting. Many of us get a tidbit here and there and know to pitch aside things that we don't think will work for our own situation. Criticisms are not for you to defend (unless you want to). They're just a single person's opinions regarding the original author of the article.

smileystooges.gif
Joey Bloggs said:
...the only remarks are always negatory, grammar correcting and such...I have to defend every thing I post here...
I've posted a few things that others tore apart too, so I know the feeling of taking it personally, but I think we have to fight that feeling and realize it's human nature to post criticisms (the old deal of people with positive experiences telling 5 and negative experiences telling 50).
So keep posting. Many of us get a tidbit here and there and know to pitch aside things that we don't think will work for our own situation. Criticisms are not for you to defend (unless you want to). They're just a single person's opinions regarding the original author of the article.
Arkansawyer said:
Joey Bloggs said:
No, I don't defend any person other than myself or my family, I don't care what inaccuracies they have in an article. I just don't want the entire article made invalid due to negative comments, which is what happens on every article here, ever. I understand how it is. When the first comment is always that way, it invalidates the whole thing.
Just to be clear, this ain't my first rodeo, it has been years and years of the same here, we all know how it is. Just wanted to point that out, I don't take it personally, I can see half these people's articles miss the mark - for the most part. But there may be something good in there, if we weed past the rest.
FOR EXAMPLE - POSTED HERE DAY IN AND DAY OUT IS THE IMPORTANCE OF GOOD AND BETTER YET PROFESSIONAL INN PHOTOS, but there are still those <here> with as the other link said "Crappy photos" I just want everyone to get the most out of it, and to bring in guests and be happy! :)
Keep on keepin' on...

smileystooges.gif
It's a lot like the articles that we read all the time that say we should all have jetted tubs because that's what guests want. Or we all have to provide the guest with __________________ because studies show guests won't stay without that. We all argue those points, so why not this one?
The list of what we should do goes on and on. And yet NONE of the people writing the articles has spent 10 minutes trying to actually DO all of the work an innkeeper does in a day.
I think I'll go find a forum on something I know nothing about and start telling the people there how they should run their business. Sure, the guy offers ideas, but is he thinking thru how we might actually accomplish 10,000 greeting cards/year? My guess is he thinks we might be sending out 100 cards/year. Because he doesn't understand.
So, again, off to find a business I know nothing about and tell them how to run it.

Hey Joey, I may not be an "Innkeeper," but I've probably stayed in more inns that most Innkeepers. I think I know a thing or two about the industry. In addition, I have over 17 years of marketing experience and have worked the client, agency and media sides of the business. I will grant you that it's often a challenge for an innkeeper to dedicate the necessary time to the marketing as required by the many items I have listed. It's all about discipline and managing resources. There are a lot of inexpensive and effective ways to market an inn today, but unfortunately the cost, is precious time. I care about the industry a great deal and was just trying to help...I hope some will find usefulness in my Top-10 Marketing Tips for Innkeepers.
Cheers,
Mike - MikesRoadTrip.com

smileystooges.gif
Other than the follow-up - even my place keeping up with that would be a total "Are your out of your mind?" - but the rest of it, for the most part was saying the things we all tell a newbie. Website - great website with professional grade photos, blog, blog, blog, and we are getting the social media so much this old broad's head is swimming.
JB, keep posting because even I keep reading them. I just forwarded one of your posts to my City Manager - the branding tips - because even cities are involved with branding today. I read them as a B & B AND as the tourism office of my City. I personally GREATLY appreciate the time you take in finding and posting these links.

Back