Top 10 Things Today's Kids Will Never Experience

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thing they will never know that mattered most (at least to me) is FREEDOM! Cool your jets folks. I mean the freedom to get kicked out of the house in the morning, not to be seen again until supper time. The freedom to ride your bike, hike in the woods, and just be kids. Today you do not dare let your kid out of your sight for fear of "funny uncles", kidnapping, etc... They will also never know what it is to be SAFE.
Yes! Those were the days..............

Catching fireflies in a mayonaise jar. Mass cultivation and use of pesticides have all but wiped them out.

TV shows only on ONE day per week. Not 24 hours per day. Not the same episode 14 times a week.
Saturday morning cartoons...WITH commercials!

I like South Park. And because I have grandkids, I got to watch lots of Sponge Bob Square pants.

My list is different..... My brothers and I ,while on a car trip would identify cars as we went by, see who could get the most. But in the 1950-1960 we had maybe 8 car company's.....A mother who sews clothes, cans,cooks real(live) food, not todays dead food...non violent TV in black and white...learn to drive a car w/gears...hop scotch, four square, double dutch jump rope....etc. etc. etc. Mary in Bwater

Kids today are missing out on something else-- discipline. A female friend was at a partry recently and was coming out of the restroom. A 12 year old girl had been waiting for her turn and when the door opened, she shoved my friend out of the way while saying, in a demanding/impudent tone, "Move!" When challenged on her tone and choice of wording, she repeated herself and shoved even harder.
I dunno about any of you, but if I had acted like that as a child I would not have been able to sit down for a few hours, or at least been grounded for a few days over such rude behavior.
I *don't* believe in "children should be seen and not heard", but I do think that parents today fail to teach their kids manners and common courtesy. And I think it is the children who will suffer for it in the long run by never developing the habits they will need in adult life.

Any child who is in the school system for one day will have the "MOVE" the knock em down out of the way to get in first mentality. It is a push and shove syndrome they all get as part of a pack.
My nieces and nephews in Ireland would just as soon knock down their great grandmother to get to a glass of water, it is appalling. Nothing is ever said to them.
I hear ya!

The problem with parents.......and kids
The so called professionals on the radio, tv.........and politicians that put laws into the books where a child can have the parent/s arrested for discilpining them.
This is a sociatal issue........Politicaly correct has run rampent.......all this touchy feely crap is way over done.
take the incident on the plane where the womans child was taken away by the flight attendent, cause the mother slapped the kid..........flight attendent was touted as a hero..............later in the story, small mention that the child was kicking the mother........................and how appauld the other passengers that the mother hit her own child
then again.......I also think some should not breed

I was watching my brother at the rodeo last night, and there were a pair of grubby, diaper-only two-year-olds running rampant....kicking and screaming, climbing the fence and calling their grandmother stupid. Neither she nor their mother did anything about it except spout some worthless platitudes. I was sure tempted to smack their little diaper clad hineys (and put some clothes on them).

There is a clear distinction between discipline and abuse........society seems to have forgotten

I picture it like a three stooges group slap...
smileystooges.gif

We used to watch slapping as entertainment with Larry Moe and Curly, we must have been so violent then...
Oh there is plenty to say on this subject. Around here if a kid mouths off to his parent a standerby will step up and say right to the child's face "Dontchew talk to your Momma like that!"
But then again, there is a woodshed behind every house...

I don't know we don't have many children here but they have all been well behaved. The last one was a 9 year old boy with his grandmother and he was lovely please and thank you. When I offered to help with the luggage he told me not to worry he would carry his grandmothers bag. Brought his and his grandmothers plates to the kitchen all stacked when they had finished. Ordered politely and ate with perfect table manners and thanked me for a lovely stay. Better manners than most adults.

Back