Top ten alternative lodging options

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
[FONT= 'Times New Roman']Top ten alternative lodging options[/FONT]
Gadling (blog)
A bed and breakfast (which in some countries, goes by the name guesthouse) is always my first choice for accommodation. Do I have a deep-seeded fetish for ...

again with the doilies! I am going to go doilie soon!
wow.gif

Maybe we should all post a comment...'Show me a photo taken at a B&B you are staying at where there are doilies and 'Grandma's' furniture.' Are there really that many B&B's that are doing the doily thing anymore or is it like the restaurant that keeps getting written up in travel magazines even after it has gone steadily downhill because the writers are too damn lazy to actually GO try it out?
NONE of these writers have ever seen a doily at a B&B but they know to get the story published they have to say that. Trot out the same old chestnut so everyone can laugh at the joke.
Points given for not mentioing shared baths.

Guilty as charged! A dear friend - now late - crocheted some doilies for me and I have them on the backs of my chairs in the library. There were others in a box of linens my d-i-l gave me and these are under the kerosene lamps on dressers or mantles. So I have doilies! They are not stick in your face - or are they Joey? I never thought about them.

Guilty as charged! A dear friend - now late - crocheted some doilies for me and I have them on the backs of my chairs in the library. There were others in a box of linens my d-i-l gave me and these are under the kerosene lamps on dressers or mantles. So I have doilies! They are not stick in your face - or are they Joey? I never thought about them..
Who is your target market? That's whose opinion counts. If your market is not the doily type, toss them.

Guilty as charged! A dear friend - now late - crocheted some doilies for me and I have them on the backs of my chairs in the library. There were others in a box of linens my d-i-l gave me and these are under the kerosene lamps on dressers or mantles. So I have doilies! They are not stick in your face - or are they Joey? I never thought about them..
Who is your target market? That's whose opinion counts. If your market is not the doily type, toss them.
It is something no one has EVER commented on. I have a guest coming Thanksgiving weekend for the 4th time this year and 2 weeks ago someone for the fith time so I think I am not going to worry about it. The furniture is not Grandma's as I cannot afford those kind of antiques.

i don't own any doilies but i have no objection to them and i think they are pretty. it's a style thing. and what is wrong with comfy, old furniture? it doesn't have to be shabby.
by the way, my daughter (30) loves everything vintage, runs a vintage clothing store, dresses in outfits from the 40's and 50's in her everyday life and would probably love (horrors!) doilies! especially the hand crocheted ones.
i say we bring back the doilies and the much-maligned garden knome.
*feeling defiant*
wink_smile.gif

Okay I need to learn how to spell them if I am going to flaunt them Doilies Doilies Doilies! My Nana crocheted some and sent them to me special as she thought they WOULD LOOK NICE here at the B&B. God rest her soul! I have not even put them out as they are special to me, since she made them by hand, and not made in China.
Does a hand stitched table runner thingy count as a doily? I have one under a tiffany lamp on a small walnut bed side table to protect the wood from the heavy feet of the lamp? Am I a DOILY GOIL?
The more they push the more I will stand up to those doily bullies!

i don't own any doilies but i have no objection to them and i think they are pretty. it's a style thing. and what is wrong with comfy, old furniture? it doesn't have to be shabby.
by the way, my daughter (30) loves everything vintage, runs a vintage clothing store, dresses in outfits from the 40's and 50's in her everyday life and would probably love (horrors!) doilies! especially the hand crocheted ones.
*feeling defiant*
wink_smile.gif
seashanty said:
*feeling defiant*
wink_smile.gif
YEAHHHHHHHH!!!
DOILY GOILS UNITE!
doily.jpg

Maybe we should all post a comment...'Show me a photo taken at a B&B you are staying at where there are doilies and 'Grandma's' furniture.' Are there really that many B&B's that are doing the doily thing anymore or is it like the restaurant that keeps getting written up in travel magazines even after it has gone steadily downhill because the writers are too damn lazy to actually GO try it out?
NONE of these writers have ever seen a doily at a B&B but they know to get the story published they have to say that. Trot out the same old chestnut so everyone can laugh at the joke.
Points given for not mentioing shared baths..
Morticia said:
Points given for not mentioing shared baths.
YES!!! YOU ARE CORRECT it is like the same article rewritten 5000 flippin' times! Now that Trav el ocity has made gnomes cool - they are not mentioning gnomes!
GNOMES ROCK!
gnome.jpg

of all things for b&b go'ers to be concerned about. style and comfort go much deeper than doilies. if my potential guests would be that put off by doilies, they would be happier elsewhere. (and i don't even have any doilies)
'oh, we had a fantastic breakfast and a really comfortable bed, free wifi in our room plus all kinds of goodies. but they had DOILIES! (and i think the furniture was kind of old). i will NEVER stay there again.'

*feeling defiant*
wink_smile.gif
seashanty said:
*feeling defiant*
wink_smile.gif
YEAHHHHHHHH!!!
DOILY GOILS UNITE!
doily.jpg

Beautiful! That reminds me of way back when, I crocheted and didn't realize the "pineapples" were supposed to be FLAT! Great big old tablecloth crocheted for NAUGHT!

If anyone is inclined to start a blog - or another blog I think the "DAILY DOILY" would be a great name. :)
"Since the 1950s doilies have been regarded as a sign of high class and good manners."
Don't tell Hyacinth but the doily is dead
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-455636/Dont-tell-Hyacinth-doily-dead.html#ixzz0XVAL9CyK
cake_228x173.jpg

read the comments on this article for a kick. You know, the thing that is gone today is CLASS. Who serves something ON a cake plate today? Who will hand you a cup WITH sauce? Who will give you a cloth napkin? Who will invite you over for a SIT DOWN MEAL rather than have it a help yourself with plate in hand? WHO COOKS?

Okay I need to learn how to spell them if I am going to flaunt them Doilies Doilies Doilies! My Nana crocheted some and sent them to me special as she thought they WOULD LOOK NICE here at the B&B. God rest her soul! I have not even put them out as they are special to me, since she made them by hand, and not made in China.
Does a hand stitched table runner thingy count as a doily? I have one under a tiffany lamp on a small walnut bed side table to protect the wood from the heavy feet of the lamp? Am I a DOILY GOIL?
The more they push the more I will stand up to those doily bullies!.
My grandmother made a 'table-sized' doily that I use on my table. (It is in the room pic we spent so much time on last year! But removed before guests arrived.) And I have a runner under the cups on the shelf to keep the noise down and because it looks nice. But I'm sure someone rolled their eyes and poked someone else and said, 'See, I told you...'
They're all out of the rooms, tho, guests used them instead of the coasters.

If anyone is inclined to start a blog - or another blog I think the "DAILY DOILY" would be a great name. :)
"Since the 1950s doilies have been regarded as a sign of high class and good manners."
Don't tell Hyacinth but the doily is dead
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-455636/Dont-tell-Hyacinth-doily-dead.html#ixzz0XVAL9CyK
cake_228x173.jpg

read the comments on this article for a kick. You know, the thing that is gone today is CLASS. Who serves something ON a cake plate today? Who will hand you a cup WITH sauce? Who will give you a cloth napkin? Who will invite you over for a SIT DOWN MEAL rather than have it a help yourself with plate in hand? WHO COOKS?.
Me! Me! Me! Me! ME! :) :)

Back