Top tips for staying at a B&B

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey Camb

Reaction score
http://wavejourney.com/accommodations/tips-for-staying-at-a-bed-and-breakfast/
any thoughts?

Well, it's definitely by a newbie. She is correct, the rules are different for each B&B. I don't know about specifically mentioning stealing... you shouldn't steal from a B&B, but you also shouldn't steal from a hotel.

B&B’s aren’t necessarily like other accommodations, where you usually enter an official reception area. I immediately realized what I had done and walked out again.

Totally disoriented, I walked back in again, as I couldn’t think of what else to do.
This is one instance where signage would be appropriate. New guests need an idea of where to go and what to do when they arrive. As we all know, you can't assume they've read the orientation e-mail you sent them. Can't assume they'll read the signage either, but you do what you can do.

I put about shoes - for myself I want people to wear their shoes or slippers- especially in the breakfast room - don't think its very hygenic to come down in bare feet as some do!

B&B’s aren’t necessarily like other accommodations, where you usually enter an official reception area. I immediately realized what I had done and walked out again.

Totally disoriented, I walked back in again, as I couldn’t think of what else to do.
This is one instance where signage would be appropriate. New guests need an idea of where to go and what to do when they arrive. As we all know, you can't assume they've read the orientation e-mail you sent them. Can't assume they'll read the signage either, but you do what you can do..
Arkansawyer said:

This is one instance where signage would be appropriate. New guests need an idea of where to go and what to do when they arrive. As we all know, you can't assume they've read the orientation e-mail you sent them. Can't assume they'll read the signage either, but you do what you can do.
My home is historic, and I have a historic "bell" on the door. I have a sign that says "Please ring bell upon arrival" with a picture of the bell right under the words, and an arrow pointing down to the bell. We still get people who say "I saw the sign, but I couldn't find the bell!" LOL!

I encountered the shoes off in Germany (in homes). I do not know if it is in B & Bs there as I was with family - but I do not expect my guests to remove their shoes. I am very grateful when the horse guests do when coming in from the stable but I do not make that a request even. DH cannot remove his shoes as his leg brace is inserted into the arch plate in his shoe. And putting something over the show is not an option as it then compromises his stability. No shoes? he no go.

Kind of sad that she had to mention not flinching items from a B&B because it would be noticed. But then again, I know my parents are constantly replacing tableware, especially coffee mugs. I guess I should not be surprised.

Back