Total room clean or not?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Guests just checked out. Coming back in a couple of days. 'Their' room is not taken until they return. They stated we did not have to clean 'for them'. If they could just have new towels that would be fine.
So, would you completely clean the room or not?

I think I would at least do a normal "fluff" plus. It would probably be easier to just do a room claean and be done with it. what if you get a walk-in? And your answer to them will be "to not clean is not up to the standards of this inn".

I would clean it anyway. It is a trick question, a TA trainwreck waiting to happen! Definately clean it. Then they can boast to everyone, "They knew we were coming back and cleaned it anyway! Isnt that nice!"

When she left she said, 'I want to do my part for the environment. Really, we only need new towels, not the whole room cleaned.' We didn't clean their room yesterday, either. She's a hoot. She leans in and asks, 'Who's cleaning? Is it you or do you have someone? If it's just you, don't bother. If you have someone you're paying anyway, then ok.'
They've been here about 100 times. (Ok, that was an exaggeration, but it's a LOT.) They don't write reviews, they just tell everyone they know to come and stay here and they come back about 3-4 times/year.
Since I've had the online rez system (2005), they've stayed 17 times. And they stayed quite a few times before we had that in place.

Clean it. We have a guest that bookends us on business trips, always says "don't bother", we always bother.
Plus, you want to be ready for walk-ins, Murphy's Law.

When she left she said, 'I want to do my part for the environment. Really, we only need new towels, not the whole room cleaned.' We didn't clean their room yesterday, either. She's a hoot. She leans in and asks, 'Who's cleaning? Is it you or do you have someone? If it's just you, don't bother. If you have someone you're paying anyway, then ok.'
They've been here about 100 times. (Ok, that was an exaggeration, but it's a LOT.) They don't write reviews, they just tell everyone they know to come and stay here and they come back about 3-4 times/year.
Since I've had the online rez system (2005), they've stayed 17 times. And they stayed quite a few times before we had that in place..
Bree said:
Since I've had the online rez system (2005), they've stayed 17 times. And they stayed quite a few times before we had that in place.
17 times? I would have their names embroidered on their towels! I would have a donor's section with their names on a brick in front of my place or a plaque on a bench in my garden. ha ha

Since I've had the online rez system (2005), they've stayed 17 times. And they stayed quite a few times before we had that in place..
Bree said:
17 times? I would have their names embroidered on their towels! I would have a donor's section with their names on a brick in front of my place or a plaque on a bench in my garden. ha ha
WOWZA!!! 17 times... I would Still clean the room:)

hmmmm .... if i was not busy, not likely to be full ... i would probably do a 'bigfresh' .... i would clean but not scrub .... i would change the sheets and run the vacume .... but i would not scour the toilet or the tub or the walls of the shower, wouldn't change the shower curtain ... maybe damp mop the bathroom floor but not scrub it .... refresh the amenities, remove the old towels and put clean towels NOT in the bathroom, but in a pile on the bed ready to be put in the bathroom
i used to have guests like this sometimes. they would stay with me a couple nites, stay on a nearby island for a nite or two ... and then return.
with the bigfresh, it's almost flipped so i could allow guests to ask for it, i'd tell them, your room will be ready in 1/2 hour (or whatever), invite them to have a cuppa, then go in and complete the cleaning ... mostly the bathroom is what needs attention.
you have to be on your toes for the bigfresh ... leaving notes in your reservation system that the room has to be finished for new guests .... because the room looks clean but it isn't ... the towels on the bed are a big hint. if the room wasn't occupied by others, i could go in before the prior guests were due back and place the towels in the bathroom.
yes, you're taking a gamble by not completely flipping the room ... in case you have a walk in. for me, this would be the very sleepy season ... are you likely to?

Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
When we redid the kitchen/dining room, I told one guest that the 'breakfast bar' was going to have a plaque on it with her name as a 'thanks' for the many times she had stayed with us.
However, I think that is a GREAT idea! We have to fix the brick walkway this year so I may see how I can get names put on them...

hmmmm .... if i was not busy, not likely to be full ... i would probably do a 'bigfresh' .... i would clean but not scrub .... i would change the sheets and run the vacume .... but i would not scour the toilet or the tub or the walls of the shower, wouldn't change the shower curtain ... maybe damp mop the bathroom floor but not scrub it .... refresh the amenities, remove the old towels and put clean towels NOT in the bathroom, but in a pile on the bed ready to be put in the bathroom
i used to have guests like this sometimes. they would stay with me a couple nites, stay on a nearby island for a nite or two ... and then return.
with the bigfresh, it's almost flipped so i could allow guests to ask for it, i'd tell them, your room will be ready in 1/2 hour (or whatever), invite them to have a cuppa, then go in and complete the cleaning ... mostly the bathroom is what needs attention.
you have to be on your toes for the bigfresh ... leaving notes in your reservation system that the room has to be finished for new guests .... because the room looks clean but it isn't ... the towels on the bed are a big hint. if the room wasn't occupied by others, i could go in before the prior guests were due back and place the towels in the bathroom.
yes, you're taking a gamble by not completely flipping the room ... in case you have a walk in. for me, this would be the very sleepy season ... are you likely to?.
Ha, ha, your 'bigfresh' (love that btw) is exactly the opposite of what would have happened...hubs would have scrubbed the bathroom (he does everyday anyway) and I would not have changed the sheets. (That was her big comment- no sense in changing the sheets.)
I needed some extras for the load I had waiting, so I was going to wash them anyway, which I told her.
We did it up completely. Just in case. It's a popular walk-in room.

If the bedding looks good then I would not change the sheets because they have requested you don't. I would do a good clean in the bathroom, vacuum, dust and give them fresh towels as they requested. I would do as much to make the room look nice as possible without actually not following their request.
I remember getting told off by some German guests once because I changed their bed when they told me it wasn't necessary, environment, blah, blah. They were quite annoyed with me.

If the bedding looks good then I would not change the sheets because they have requested you don't. I would do a good clean in the bathroom, vacuum, dust and give them fresh towels as they requested. I would do as much to make the room look nice as possible without actually not following their request.
I remember getting told off by some German guests once because I changed their bed when they told me it wasn't necessary, environment, blah, blah. They were quite annoyed with me..
If they make a comment when they return, I'll say we did it 'just in case we had a walk-in'.

Bree said:
Guests just checked out. Coming back in a couple of days. 'Their' room is not taken until they return. They stated we did not have to clean 'for them'. If they could just have new towels that would be fine.
Did they pay for this room WHILE they are gone? Then maybe someone might want to book it til they return. Maybe they need that plaque on the DOOR or in the room instead. ha ha I guess I missed that in the orig post.
shades_smile.gif

Bree said:
Did they pay for this room WHILE they are gone? Then maybe someone might want to book it til they return. Maybe they need that plaque on the DOOR or in the room instead. ha ha I guess I missed that in the orig post.
shades_smile.gif
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
shades_smile.gif
No, they weren't asking us to 'hold' the room for them for the nights they weren't here, just trying to make it easy on us. If we had no one coming in, they didn't mind if we didn't clean.

We had guests who stayed here on a Friday night, went to Boston on Saturday, and then returned here on Sunday. They requested that we not clean their room. They left some things in the closet and a suitcase. I did a light cleaning in the bathroom, made the bed, and replaced the towels but did not do a major cleaning. They told me that if I got a request for that room I could always take their things out and store them somewhere. We usually don't get last minute requests so I didn't charge them for the night they didn't use the room, but of course we got a call that night for that room. It was a pain. Next time I would charge them for keeping the room empty for them, or I would have them take everything and just get the room ready for new guests, just in case.

We had guests who stayed here on a Friday night, went to Boston on Saturday, and then returned here on Sunday. They requested that we not clean their room. They left some things in the closet and a suitcase. I did a light cleaning in the bathroom, made the bed, and replaced the towels but did not do a major cleaning. They told me that if I got a request for that room I could always take their things out and store them somewhere. We usually don't get last minute requests so I didn't charge them for the night they didn't use the room, but of course we got a call that night for that room. It was a pain. Next time I would charge them for keeping the room empty for them, or I would have them take everything and just get the room ready for new guests, just in case..
We usually don't get last minute requests so I didn't charge them for the night they didn't use the room, but of course we got a call that night for that room.
Murphy is absolutely cruel to innkeepers.
sad_smile.gif

We had guests who stayed here on a Friday night, went to Boston on Saturday, and then returned here on Sunday. They requested that we not clean their room. They left some things in the closet and a suitcase. I did a light cleaning in the bathroom, made the bed, and replaced the towels but did not do a major cleaning. They told me that if I got a request for that room I could always take their things out and store them somewhere. We usually don't get last minute requests so I didn't charge them for the night they didn't use the room, but of course we got a call that night for that room. It was a pain. Next time I would charge them for keeping the room empty for them, or I would have them take everything and just get the room ready for new guests, just in case..
We usually don't get last minute requests so I didn't charge them for the night they didn't use the room, but of course we got a call that night for that room.
sad_smile.gif

swirt said:
sad_smile.gif
Which is why our cleaning the room completely virtually guaranteed we'd have the next 2 days off!

I would have cleaned the room although I don't get very many walkins we are "out there" in the country, although I would have cleaned it I may not have changed the sheets unless of course it was the busy season and I may have a reservation for the room. But like everyone said "Murphy's law"....

Back