Totally off topic question...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
Just finished Farenheit 451. If YOU had to memorize ONE book to save for future generations what book would it be?

That is a hard one. I have read so many in different genres - Daughter of the Land and The Good Earth come to mind quickly so i guess Those two impressed me a LOT since I read both so many years ago.

Easy answer. The book that has been the best seller continuously. The book that always been a controversy, that is banned in some countries, and has the power to save.

Easy answer. The book that has been the best seller continuously. The book that always been a controversy, that is banned in some countries, and has the power to save..
that of course is the BEST one. Through the ages it is the ONE book that has brought comfort to more people than any other.

Let's see Orwell's 1984, Huxley's Brave New World and Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale. In a foreign language, maybe Garcia Marquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude, and Saint-Exupéry's Petit Prince.
I assume that there is no reason for me to save the Bible, written and unwritten, since there are loads of people who have them memorized.

Let's see Orwell's 1984, Huxley's Brave New World and Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale. In a foreign language, maybe Garcia Marquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude, and Saint-Exupéry's Petit Prince.
I assume that there is no reason for me to save the Bible, written and unwritten, since there are loads of people who have them memorized..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Let's see Orwell's 1984...
I suspected you'd pick that one!

Easy answer. The book that has been the best seller continuously. The book that always been a controversy, that is banned in some countries, and has the power to save..
Joey Bloggs said:
Easy answer. The book that has been the best seller continuously. The book that always been a controversy, that is banned in some countries, and has the power to save.
In F-451 many people memorize that one, but different chapters.

I assume that there is no reason for me to save the Bible, written and unwritten, since there are loads of people who have them memorized..
Great choices! We read excerpts from The Little Prince at our wedding. One kid read in English, the other in French. Covered the whole assembly that way.
Of the first set I'd have to say The Handmaid's Tale scared me the most.

Sorry to say I don't read much fiction..never did. so there is none I would or could recommend. Guess I agree with JB.

Joey Bloggs said:
yep! Got my vote too!
thumbs_up.gif

I don't read much anymore, but I'd have to say that Handmaid's Tale is one book that I think about often. I had to read it in college and ended up reading it twice. Did you ever see the movie?

Sorry to say I don't read much fiction..never did. so there is none I would or could recommend. Guess I agree with JB..
It didn't have to be fiction. Just any book you would memorize in the event all the books were going to be burned.

Great question. I have so many favorites but The Giver by Lois Lowry would be at the top. That and The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran.

Entrusting a precious book to an aging person with failing memory is not a good idea. I have trouble remembering to wear pants, so I'd have to pick "Fun with Dick and Jane"

Back