Totally off topic - what to do with the rest of your life

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
I know a few of us have plans for 'life after innkeeping'. I'd like a little encouragement from my peeps - I've joined a writing group. I'm finishing my book. It might take until the end of this year but I am working on it every week (not everyday yet, but that is coming as I get reinvested in the writing).
Not about innkeeping per se, but some of it does take place at an inn.

I have no clue. I know that I want to stay in this City as long as I am functional. I also know that I will be an innkeeper until after DH dies and I can sell it. What will be after that, I do not know. I never expected to be doing what I do now. I never expected to be a middle-sized fish in my puddle called Shinnston. But I am. I NEVER in my wildest dreams expected anyone to ever be asking ME for advice - but that happens, often. I never dreamed of being a vital cog in a City - but I am.
I am planning on going with the flow to see where life takes me. Every time I try to steer that boat, I end up on the rocks or flying down the rapids at break-neck speed. When I let life take me, it becomes interesting. Things happen for a reason and there is a reason for everything. I firmly believe thre is something else I am supposed to do in my lifetime but I will be as surprised as anyone when I find out what it is!
Maddie - I believe you are supposed to write your books - notice I said plural - and I believe you will be successful.

I will be in my real 'home' which is near our major metro city, but still in the country. Hopefully I'll have enough funds to travel a bit, do a little consulting and relight my artistic/music soul I've put on hold for this period of my life.

JB's recent info about her daughter becoming a member of the staff, nametag and all, makes me wonder. Anybody know of a case where a B&B passed on to a child and stayed in the family for generations?

JB's recent info about her daughter becoming a member of the staff, nametag and all, makes me wonder. Anybody know of a case where a B&B passed on to a child and stayed in the family for generations?.
If I remember correctly, Cambs bought her place from her folks.

JB's recent info about her daughter becoming a member of the staff, nametag and all, makes me wonder. Anybody know of a case where a B&B passed on to a child and stayed in the family for generations?.
There are a few. Rittenhouse Inn in Wisconsin was started by Jerry and Mary Phillips and is currently run by their son (or kids). I know the son is doing it now.

short answer - yes it is a family business - so feel free to email if you want material for your book(s) lol!
My free time? feel like im starting an event management business! where I am there is very little industry we are an events town - no events no town, 1 in 3 jobs is directly tourism related so that's a lot of jobs down the pan very quickly with the state of the economy. Am currently working to get a 1 day event which had an attendance of 20,884 this year into a weekend package by pulling in local businesses ie we have pulled in a new dance festival as partners and have a meeting to do an allo, allo dinner evening at a local hotel on either the Friday or sunday nights. Am also working to promote the joint event anywhere and everywhere I can. DH is also involved with another group (rotary) who want to put together a soap box derby in the park for next year to rival our neighbouring town's event which is a bed race (ie people race beds through the town) which brings on average 20,000 tourists - so that should be a good laugh! its all about thinking outside the box

short answer - yes it is a family business - so feel free to email if you want material for your book(s) lol!
My free time? feel like im starting an event management business! where I am there is very little industry we are an events town - no events no town, 1 in 3 jobs is directly tourism related so that's a lot of jobs down the pan very quickly with the state of the economy. Am currently working to get a 1 day event which had an attendance of 20,884 this year into a weekend package by pulling in local businesses ie we have pulled in a new dance festival as partners and have a meeting to do an allo, allo dinner evening at a local hotel on either the Friday or sunday nights. Am also working to promote the joint event anywhere and everywhere I can. DH is also involved with another group (rotary) who want to put together a soap box derby in the park for next year to rival our neighbouring town's event which is a bed race (ie people race beds through the town) which brings on average 20,000 tourists - so that should be a good laugh! its all about thinking outside the box

Well, we sometimes fix PCs. Been doing this before the B&B and just kept the customers that still trust us, but not looking for new ones. Then there are the confectionery business (Grumpy cat says it's not a cookie!) which is small, but I am working on it slowly.
I should work on other small projects, like a recipe book. But most of the time I'm the only one running the B&B, so it takes up quite a bit of time.

The Harborfields property has been in Wendy's family since 1832. The cottages were started by her grandparents in the late 1940's. When Wendy's grandmother passed away in the mid 1980's, the family hired a series of other families to manage the business. We (Wendy and Tim) took over when the last managers moved on to the next phase of their lives. The challenge for us has been doing this while still maintaining our own professional and civic lives in another state. It hasn't helped lower our carbon footprint any, that's for sure!

Arkansawyer said:
JB's recent info about her daughter becoming a member of the staff, nametag and all, makes me wonder. Anybody know of a case where a B&B passed on to a child and stayed in the family for generations?
Here where I live the oldest operating B&B's are run by the kids of the OO's. There are 3 of them. One just closed this year.

Arkansawyer said:
Won't be the case here.
Our daughter is special needs and is working here to keep her safe, and busy. I only wish she could take over, I wish she could do some of the more challenging things here. When we are gone for a week on vacation, we come back and she has to learn a lot of it over again. I use the term special needs broadly, not all disabilities are physical.

I am thinking of renting a 'summer house' here in town for one month this winter. Yes, to write. The house is at the end of road on a point overlooking the bay. I love walking out there so maybe I could 'live' there for a month.
I would come home everyday to do more wallpaper stripping but then retire to the house to write in the afternoons.

My granddaughter has showed some interest in the business. But we shall see as she gets older.

I am thinking of renting a 'summer house' here in town for one month this winter. Yes, to write. The house is at the end of road on a point overlooking the bay. I love walking out there so maybe I could 'live' there for a month.
I would come home everyday to do more wallpaper stripping but then retire to the house to write in the afternoons.
Madeleine said:
Sounds wonderful! Hope it happens!

Madeleine said:
Do it!

Back