Tourism and B&B's - we are the leading edge

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
NO ONE gets what we do. Other businesses think people just come to town and stay with you. They have no idea the amount of marketing we do as innkeepers/tourism professionals to BRING and DRAW people into our communities to spend money at THEIR businesses.
I went to a meeting today and think I blew everyone away. I could see the dull looks awaken in them as they came to life and looked over at me and thought "How does she know all of that?"
I know what all of you know, this is what we do, we market for tourism in our towns and communities. They drive by here and think people just pull off the highway and sleep in our rooms I suppose.
Let your town know you are bringing people in! WE ALL DESERVE BIG TROPHIES IN THIS BUSINESS!

We have had to work hard to get the message out there that we are a gateway. Since we are big farmers market supporters, that has helped get the word out there that there is a benefit in partnering. It has been getting easier. We are getting ready to start a coffee tasting event and the farmers we're willing to sacrifice some up front profit for long term gain, so I would say that they have seen it work for some and they don't want to miss out. In some ways, we have created a desirable opportunity for them. It has to work for everyone.

We have had to work hard to get the message out there that we are a gateway. Since we are big farmers market supporters, that has helped get the word out there that there is a benefit in partnering. It has been getting easier. We are getting ready to start a coffee tasting event and the farmers we're willing to sacrifice some up front profit for long term gain, so I would say that they have seen it work for some and they don't want to miss out. In some ways, we have created a desirable opportunity for them. It has to work for everyone..
My mother loves Kona coffee. Is it like big names here? Just a big name? Or is it really good? I think a coffee tasting is a great idea.

We have had to work hard to get the message out there that we are a gateway. Since we are big farmers market supporters, that has helped get the word out there that there is a benefit in partnering. It has been getting easier. We are getting ready to start a coffee tasting event and the farmers we're willing to sacrifice some up front profit for long term gain, so I would say that they have seen it work for some and they don't want to miss out. In some ways, we have created a desirable opportunity for them. It has to work for everyone..
I bought some Kuai Hawaiian coffee beans in my last coffee order. That stuff was $10 per pound! For green beans! Kona even in green beans is beyond this bank account. What I had was good though. The guests liked it.
I am fortunate in the fact that it only took about 8 or 9 years to convince my City Council about what I do. It was about 3 years ago that we did the video together. I would say that the people who count do know what I do for the town although they have no clue what I do. Perhaps after this week's State Journal comes out...... Ann tells me it will be in this week's issue.

My mother loves Kona coffee. Is it like big names here? Just a big name? Or is it really good? I think a coffee tasting is a great idea.
Actually, the Ka`u district (our district- pronounced Kah-oo) coffees we carry are those that have won some notice. Two of them are previously in the top ten of the Specialty Coffee Association of America and this year in Atlanta, Ka`ili`awa Coffee placed 7th in the world. I am going to start a thread about our tasting idea to get some feedback. members.scaa.org/media/pr/PressReleaseArchives/SCAA%20Awards%20Coffe%20of%20the%20Year%20to%20C.I.%20Virmax%20Colombia%20S.A.%20of%20Colombia.pdf

Actually, the Ka`u district (our district- pronounced Kah-oo) coffees we carry are those that have won some notice. Two of them are previously in the top ten of the Specialty Coffee Association of America and this year in Atlanta, Ka`ili`awa Coffee placed 7th in the world. I am going to start a thread about our tasting idea to get some feedback. members.scaa.org/media/pr/PressReleaseArchives/SCAA%20Awards%20Coffe%20of%20the%20Year%20to%20C.I.%20Virmax%20Colombia%20S.A.%20of%20Colombia.pdf
I have the boquette from Panama and the Ethiopian Yirgwhatever in my stock of coffee beans.

I have the boquette from Panama and the Ethiopian Yirgwhatever in my stock of coffee beans.
Do you actually have coffee from these two companies? Or just the region? Esmarelda is very big and I would imagine much more expensive than $10 a pound

Do you actually have coffee from these two companies? Or just the region? Esmarelda is very big and I would imagine much more expensive than $10 a pound
The regions. I have Kenya AA and one from New Guinea, etc I but my beans frm U-Roastem and 1st Choice and another company. Only the Hawaiian (that I have purchased) has been the $10 range.
I am having fun roasting the beans, the guests do not expect to find fresh-roasted in Podunk, and I now find I really do not like restaurant coffee.

Let your town know you are bringing people in! WE ALL DESERVE BIG TROPHIES IN THIS BUSINESS!
We may deserve trophies, but they will only reward you by raising / enacting and occupancy tax. :( LOL

I was just at the C&VB today and was talking to one of the key players there. She looked like a deer caught in the headlights when I was talking about some of the things that I help guests with. The whole marketing component was a different deal. They think that THEY bring everyone here and we just reap the rewards. Huh?? Most of my guests don't even know that we have a C&VB or local visitor's center!
I can imagine what you went through today because I was getting a mini-dose myself!

I was just at the C&VB today and was talking to one of the key players there. She looked like a deer caught in the headlights when I was talking about some of the things that I help guests with. The whole marketing component was a different deal. They think that THEY bring everyone here and we just reap the rewards. Huh?? Most of my guests don't even know that we have a C&VB or local visitor's center!
I can imagine what you went through today because I was getting a mini-dose myself!.
We are a Blueprint Community - that means we were chosen for community revitalization training by the Federal Home Loan Bank System. At the end of the training we were to have created a Strategic Plan with goals. Our City Manager was interviewed to find out how we are doing a year later (and they will be coming for a follow-up tour this month.
This is background to say that she listed in her follow-up on our objectives:
Objective 4.2 Improve negative perception of access roads into Shinnston.
Gypsy Bridge certainly improves 19, Route 707 has improved access from most parts of Bridgeport. Council continue to lobby with representatives for further improvements. Our (unpaid) Visitor’s Information Person answers inquiries with “you travel over a scenic, winding road…..”
I am Visitor Information.....

I can imagine what you went through today because I was getting a mini-dose myself!.
Samster said:
=========
Copperhead comment: (edited to add: Opps I hit delete and somehow all this is in the box....Sorry!)
Gee If I didn't know better, I would think we were dealing with the same C&VB. In 2007, our county C&VB budget was $2.4M, and spent $1.5M just on promotion (per the audit at the close of the physical year)....Yet, how much business does this bring me....will let's just say I can count on one hand the guests that even knew we had a C&VB, visitor's center, website or what ever.... they found MY website - local info and that was that. I have heard from others - even newspaper reporters - that they take credit for most of the tourism business in our county. Being on the board of the local Hotel assoc., most of the accommodations agree with me - they are not bringing in the tourist market. They have even attempted to tell me how much business they have sent ME... I showed them my tracking....they sure were not prepared for me being as knowledgeble as I was and in fact taught them a thing or two about their stats... They do not invite me to meetings with the county council anymore - I really don't know why???? maybe they want to keep their fluff jobs ??? Is this a pet peve of mine - you bet ya!
[edited by swirt to fix quoting issue]

Samster said:
=========
Copperhead comment: (edited to add: Opps I hit delete and somehow all this is in the box....Sorry!)
Gee If I didn't know better, I would think we were dealing with the same C&VB. In 2007, our county C&VB budget was $2.4M, and spent $1.5M just on promotion (per the audit at the close of the physical year)....Yet, how much business does this bring me....will let's just say I can count on one hand the guests that even knew we had a C&VB, visitor's center, website or what ever.... they found MY website - local info and that was that. I have heard from others - even newspaper reporters - that they take credit for most of the tourism business in our county. Being on the board of the local Hotel assoc., most of the accommodations agree with me - they are not bringing in the tourist market. They have even attempted to tell me how much business they have sent ME... I showed them my tracking....they sure were not prepared for me being as knowledgeble as I was and in fact taught them a thing or two about their stats... They do not invite me to meetings with the county council anymore - I really don't know why???? maybe they want to keep their fluff jobs ??? Is this a pet peve of mine - you bet ya!
I am fortunate enough to have a good CVB. I do get hits from it on my web site. Do I get heads in beds? Probably not, but I do get in their travel guide, on their web site, can list my Specials (if I manage to get it posted) and as many as I want to post, and they display my brochure, telling people I am here - all for $50 per year. I look at it as exposure I could not get otherwise. I am also limited in what they can do for me because it is Marion County and I am in Harrison - our tie-in is the rail-trail. There are now 2 CVBs in my County - nerither one worth squat for me. They do not list me in their Visitors Guides because I am not in either City.

Samster said:
=========
I do have folks that pick the C&VB web site as where they found us. Their site never used to show up when you did a search for this city, which was interesting to me. I think that it's totally foreign to some of these visitors' bureaus that we would be savvy enough to know about websites, online marketing, etc. After all, they usually have a staff if the town is of any size, and it might just be one or two of us :)

Back