Tours - Take a Peek or Take a Hike?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It really depends who and when. Do I get the feeling they are just curious or a potential guest? Are they casing out the joint? Sometimes I say I am full (and sometimes I actually am) and hand them a card or brochure or refer them to the website
Is it a reasonable time of day? Am I in the middle of something?
I don't think there is a "right" or "wrong", you just need to use GOOD OLD COMMON SENSE
I think turning people away 100% of the time "just because they never made an appt" is not an appropriate action..
Right, not 100% of the time, I agree. But it is frustrating when you get the folks that still ring your doorbell and say, "I know your sign says you need an appointment, but I was wondering if we could just look around anyway." As if our time isn't valuable at all... I know that no matter where I go, unless it is like a restaurant or something, I call ahead - not only out of courtesy for the folks I'll be seeing, but for myself as well. I'd hate to drive all the way into the country just to be turned away. You know what they say about common sense....
I noticed something interesting the other day when I came in the door...unless someone's nose is pressed against the glass, they can't see inside. So, knowing that, I have been watching guests approach the door. (Wanting to see if signage is clear- it's never clear to everyone, wanting to see what they are looking at, where they are looking, what they're saying, etc)
So, here's the deal- 100% of the guests I have observed have tried to let themselves into the building without ringing the bell (there is a sign for that). The postman did it the other day. The UPS guy knows the door is locked, he rings.
My wonder is now, what if they walked in? What would they do next?
So, if your door is not locked, how do you have the entryway set up so you know someone is there?
I leave the door open from time to time for fresh air, or a guest that has to pop out for a minute to get luggage.
From time to time we get someone who tries to walk in this way. I'm always right near the door, so I catch them immediately. But the stories that they tell when you catch them are always so cockamamie (contrived). Some of the stories include:
  • Today (as I mentioned above) they said they thought it was a restaurant.
  • One day last year they actually kicked a sunflower that I put in the doorway to give it some sun until we planted, saying that they wanted to see the house.
  • Two girls snuck in on tippy-toes claiming they throught that there was an apartment for rent.
  • One guy got caught trying to pry a window open with a credit card claiming that he wanted to see if someone was home (not to steal of course)
  • img2.JPEG
    (Previous B&B) One guy rang the bell and I was too busy to answer. When I got to the front he was walking away from the house. I looked at the back window and someone had jumped the fence and was trying to break in via the back door. I called 911, then knocked on the window to get his attention and pointed at the phone (I wanted to stop him before he damaged the door) and he went running. He would not have gotten in the door anyway, we have a door guardian on the door, with 3 to 4" screws for all locks. (Image of door guardian. If you have never seen one, the screws run in the wrong direction and it has a catch that you need to pull down then swing to open. You will damage the door well before you break the door guardian.)
The only legit ones that we see are children (usually college aged) asking to check out the place for their parents. I tell them to call, they make the appointment and they show up and get a complete tour.

We do NOT do tours unless you call ahead and make an appointment with us. And yes, we live on the premises. I live in a big city. If you come to the door I don't know who you are or your intents, I'm not about to let you in.
We opened the front door today to let some air into the house. Someone walked up our stairs and walked into the house. I immediately got up and approached her and asked what I could do for her. She made up a cockamamie story about thinking that this was a restaurant (on a residential street, with no restaurant sign, up a set of stairs, with no menu outside.) I scoot her out the door. I have guest luggage in the hallway for guests who are checked out and leaving later in the day. I have guest luggage in the hallway for guests who are checking in, but their room isn't ready.
The only way someone is coming in my door is invited or subpeona. And I assure you, that if they show up with the subpeona, I'm going to be reading it BEFORE I let them in. I have my security and guest security to think about.

Generally, around here, anyone ringing the bell is actually looking for a room. Sometimes it is for tonight. Other times they are collecting info for another time. 'We were just walking by, we're staying at such and such, do you have a brochure?'
If I'm not run ragged at that point, and a room is avail, I will show the room.
Otherwise, I hand out a brochure and explain we're full and tell them to look online for more info. If they have real dates in mind, I'll look at the calendar for them and if it's a peak time tell them to not wait to reserve.
Have I given more 'tours' to walk-ins than made reservations from it? Yes. Most of the time that is based on price. I ask what price point they were expecting and it's usually below $100. I have had some good reservations from doing the mini-tour, tho, so I try not to hustle them out the door if I can help it.
We recently went to putting up a sign when we're cleaning, to avoid the early check-ins and lookie lous at 11:30. So far it's working. Anyone wanting a rez is calling from the porch and I can handle it from there.
Just a tour, tho, because it's an interesting house? That would have to be prearranged, for a price..
I think the whole thing about tours, walk-ins, and "open door" policy, etc. can also depend on your location. It can be a whole different situation if you're in a town/city where there are a whole bunch of B&Bs/inns all in the same area, or if you're in a walkable city district with a lot of B&Bs, or high tourist destination with alot of lodging choices very close together.
Also, probably depends on if a B&B/inn has a dedicated front desk or concierge person, as can be the case for larger places.

It really depends who and when. Do I get the feeling they are just curious or a potential guest? Are they casing out the joint? Sometimes I say I am full (and sometimes I actually am) and hand them a card or brochure or refer them to the website
I don't think there is a "right" or "wrong", you just need to use GOOD OLD COMMON SENSE
I think turning people away 100% of the time "just because they never made an appt" is not an appropriate action..
Right, not 100% of the time, I agree. But it is frustrating when you get the folks that still ring your doorbell and say, "I know your sign says you need an appointment, but I was wondering if we could just look around anyway." As if our time isn't valuable at all... I know that no matter where I go, unless it is like a restaurant or something, I call ahead - not only out of courtesy for the folks I'll be seeing, but for myself as well. I'd hate to drive all the way into the country just to be turned away. You know what they say about common sense....
I noticed something interesting the other day when I came in the door...unless someone's nose is pressed against the glass, they can't see inside. So, knowing that, I have been watching guests approach the door. (Wanting to see if signage is clear- it's never clear to everyone, wanting to see what they are looking at, where they are looking, what they're saying, etc)
So, here's the deal- 100% of the guests I have observed have tried to let themselves into the building without ringing the bell (there is a sign for that). The postman did it the other day. The UPS guy knows the door is locked, he rings.
So, if your door is not locked, how do you have the entryway set up so you know someone is there?
I leave the door open from time to time for fresh air, or a guest that has to pop out for a minute to get luggage.
From time to time we get someone who tries to walk in this way. I'm always right near the door, so I catch them immediately. But the stories that they tell when you catch them are always so cockamamie (contrived). Some of the stories include:
  • One day last year they actually kicked a sunflower that I put in the doorway to give it some sun until we planted, saying that they wanted to see the house.
  • Two girls snuck in on tippy-toes claiming they throught that there was an apartment for rent.
  • One guy got caught trying to pry a window open with a credit card claiming that he wanted to see if someone was home (not to steal of course)
  • img2.JPEG
    (Previous B&B) One guy rang the bell and I was too busy to answer. When I got to the front he was walking away from the house. I looked at the back window and someone had jumped the fence and was trying to break in via the back door. I called 911, then knocked on the window to get his attention and pointed at the phone (I wanted to stop him before he damaged the door) and he went running. He would not have gotten in the door anyway, we have a door guardian on the door, with 3 to 4" screws for all locks. (Image of door guardian. If you have never seen one, the screws run in the wrong direction and it has a catch that you need to pull down then swing to open. You will damage the door well before you break the door guardian.)
The only legit ones that we see are children (usually college aged) asking to check out the place for their parents. I tell them to call, they make the appointment and they show up and get a complete tour.
the ones that really annoy me are like this - they ring the bell as we are the first B&B on this section ask about a room etc - "its too expensive, wrong type etc" then start working their way up the street cos they are too cheap well they won't get anything cheaper cos Azealia unmanned so no one there, Scotia -more expensive - Arc- no one there and more expensive - Conference view and Ashgrove same price.
when its busy I tell them where to go and they just head off up the street anyway figure if you are that stupid its your problem as I know the next 6 places are full. Whatever.

• img2.JPEG
the ones that really annoy me are like this - they ring the bell as we are the first B&B on this section ask about a room etc - "its too expensive, wrong type etc" then start working their way up the street cos they are too cheap well they won't get anything cheaper cos Azealia unmanned so no one there, Scotia -more expensive - Arc- no one there and more expensive - Conference view and Ashgrove same price.
when its busy I tell them where to go and they just head off up the street anyway figure if you are that stupid its your problem as I know the next 6 places are full. Whatever.
We get that, too. We are generally the first B&B guests hit when coming into town. We know we're not the cheapest, but we're not the most expensive, either. But, we set the price in the guest's head. So the guest moves on and now that they know the price, they somewhat tend to accept it elsewhere. OR, we watch them drive back out of town to hotel-land.
We had one the other day that came back twice trying to decide if they wanted to pay $165 or $200 (2 different inns). Well, buddy, I'm not gonna make that decision for you! I just told them that if they were leaning toward the other place, they were very nice people over there and they'd have a good stay.
That's more what peeves me...when they split up and go to different places and stand around discussing the relative merits of both places in front of me.

• img2.JPEG
Sometimes when they are nice and ring our door we will call around for them. If they exhibit any attitude, no help at all. All summer long it's people with no plans who want a last minute place to stay.
When I call tell that they are going to try to negotiate rate, I send them to the worst hotel in the country. Just $55 a night most of the year. They aren't my target customer anyway and they won't be back. But they will certainly understand prices after that.

• img2.JPEG
Sometimes when they are nice and ring our door we will call around for them. If they exhibit any attitude, no help at all. All summer long it's people with no plans who want a last minute place to stay.
When I call tell that they are going to try to negotiate rate, I send them to the worst hotel in the country. Just $55 a night most of the year. They aren't my target customer anyway and they won't be back. But they will certainly understand prices after that.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Congratulations to me...congratulations to me... I am singing this happy song as the health department inspector just left.
He was very conscientious in our guest rooms, and asked if we have seen any sign of bed bugs, I mentioned that we do everything ourselves and we inspect closely. I told him how I carefully do a visual on every room (bed head, mattresses etc) and then I inquired about the local hotels.
He said, "Oh yeahhhhh, they have them." He then said, that is why we call first before we come over to this B&B as we don't want to disturb you with guests, but at the hotels we just drop in. He said "No one is checking the rooms until we get there."
The one local motel had some guy kill another guy recently, transients on the road, hitchhiking or something. I should send those callers to that motel too, good thinking. Here is something you can afford! I might have to write that number down. "Here is a local hotel in your price range, complete with bed bugs"

• img2.JPEG
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Congratulations to me...congratulations to me... I am singing this happy song as the health department inspector just left.
He was very conscientious in our guest rooms, and asked if we have seen any sign of bed bugs, I mentioned that we do everything ourselves and we inspect closely. I told him how I carefully do a visual on every room (bed head, mattresses etc) and then I inquired about the local hotels.
He said, "Oh yeahhhhh, they have them." He then said, that is why we call first before we come over to this B&B as we don't want to disturb you with guests, but at the hotels we just drop in. He said "No one is checking the rooms until we get there."
The one local motel had some guy kill another guy recently, transients on the road, hitchhiking or something. I should send those callers to that motel too, good thinking. Here is something you can afford! I might have to write that number down. "Here is a local hotel in your price range, complete with bed bugs"
Glad you passed inspection. Woohoo!
Yeah, sometimes having the address or phone number of a really horrible place in their price range is exactly what they need. They read the review online and better understand the price/quality ratio that much better.

• img2.JPEG
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Reverse here...I send them to the most expensive place in town. (Only if they're obnoxious. If they're nice, but just not wanting to pay, I'll send them somewhere that's in their price range.) THAT puts my price into perspective really fast.

• img2.JPEG
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Yippee! Congrats. Mine was supposed to show up June or July but still hasn't come. It's not like we do anything different when the timing gets close, but still, it's always a weight off your shoulders after they've come.
Now you can breath a sigh of relief and not have to look over your shoulders.

Back