Towels...again

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
OK, I'm buying towels next week (first time I can get out to shop that far away). I got the samples from Turkish Towels and they're very similar in texture, altho not look, to the ones we have already. I really like the way the Turkish Towels look, very elegant, but the price is a bit on the high side for us.
I'm hoping they have bathrobes as well when I get to the outlet. I need to replace some and I want short robes that are quick drying.
So, how many towels do you usually have on hand?

We do three sets per room (but then we have all different colors for different rooms, so if you use all the same color you could probably get away with less). This is for 9 rooms that stay pretty busy, we do all the laundry in-house.

We do three sets per room (but then we have all different colors for different rooms, so if you use all the same color you could probably get away with less). This is for 9 rooms that stay pretty busy, we do all the laundry in-house..
InnsiderInfo said:
We do three sets per room (but then we have all different colors for different rooms, so if you use all the same color you could probably get away with less). This is for 9 rooms that stay pretty busy, we do all the laundry in-house.
We used to have 3 different colors but we never had the right ones washed to go in that color room! So, we went to all one color.
I was going to order 40 of each towel size (we have 7 rooms). But, because they come in dozens, I'll get 48 of each and have spares on hand.

We do three sets per room (but then we have all different colors for different rooms, so if you use all the same color you could probably get away with less). This is for 9 rooms that stay pretty busy, we do all the laundry in-house..
What's a 'set' in your mind? If you have 3 sets for each room, how many towels of any given size would that be?

I think we purchased our robes and slippers (slippers still good after two years of washing) at Turkish Towels as well as our towels. We do like the towels, but next time will buy the lighter of the two weights as the heavier one takes so long to dry.
We put per person in the room one washcloth, face towel and bath sheet. In a basket in the corner we roll up one bath towel in case the lady wants to wash her hair and put it up in a towel to dry.
Riki

A set for me used to be a bath sheet, a "bath towel" (to me a hair towel), a hand towel and a wash cloth. I still have 3 "sets" (sheet, towel, wash cloth in each) of different colors on the towel bar on the washstand in the shared bath plus 2 hand towels in towel rings by the sink - different colors so one for each room. There is also a white oak market basket on the washstand with an assortment of bath sheets, towels, hand towels, and wash cloths in rolls tucked into it (small rolls tucked in amongst the big rolls). I have 3 hand towels on the bar by the sink in the private bath and 2 towels and wash cloth in two different colors on a double towel bar by the shower (and accessible to the claw-foot tub) in the private bath. I have the same for this bathroom in the storage room. There are also at least 4 sets of spare towels on the shelf in the passage (former closet became passage) between the room and the bathroom. I have a ton of towels!!! I even gave my grandson 4 sets when he set up housekeeping at college and still have lots of towels.

What's a 'set' in your mind? If you have 3 sets for each room, how many towels of any given size would that be?
A set equals 2 bath towels, 2 hand towels, 2 washcloths and 1 bathmat

For each room we have a nice wicker basket on the floor next to the tubs and have 4 big towels, 4 wash cloths, a rubber shower mat (rolled up with a ribbon tied around it so we can tell if they used it). We use the fuzzy bath mats on the floor and also put 3 hand towels on the counter next to the sink.
We use Turkish Towels (Lexus) and are very happy with them.

For each room we have a nice wicker basket on the floor next to the tubs and have 4 big towels, 4 wash cloths, a rubber shower mat (rolled up with a ribbon tied around it so we can tell if they used it). We use the fuzzy bath mats on the floor and also put 3 hand towels on the counter next to the sink.
We use Turkish Towels (Lexus) and are very happy with them..
NW BB said:
Maybe I got a bad one...after I washed the one I got, the loops were pulled and it didn't seem very soft. The other one was nice. What's the other one, I can't think of the name right now? Zenith. I liked that one. They are definitely a good size.
Arrrgh! This is such a big expenditure I hate to pick the wrong brand/model and have to live with it for 3-4 years!

NW BB said:
Maybe I got a bad one...after I washed the one I got, the loops were pulled and it didn't seem very soft. The other one was nice. What's the other one, I can't think of the name right now? Zenith. I liked that one. They are definitely a good size.
Arrrgh! This is such a big expenditure I hate to pick the wrong brand/model and have to live with it for 3-4 years!
Zenith is the more expensive one and in my opinion doesn't feel as soft as the Lexus. I think you must have gotten a bad towel because the only time we've had to take a towel out of commission (bought them a little more than 1 year ago) is because someone stained it. I just recently ordered more wash cloths because they are the ones that get damaged the most, but they are inexpensive.
These towels get washed a lot and I'm still happy with them. I like the fact that I don't have to hunt and search for replacement towels and I just have to call them up and have them delivered. The towels we had before this I bought at Costco and they were good, but all of a sudden they didn't carry the color anymore. What a pain.

My biggest pet peeve when traveling is that there are never enough towels! So I put 6 bath towels, two hand towels, and 6 washcloths in each bathroom. I have different colors for each bath and I bought most of them at JC Penney or Home Goods. I also use the spa bathrobes from Inn Style. They are terrycloth on the inside and a cotton weave on the outside. They do take longer to dry but they are wonderful!

NW BB said:
Zenith is the more expensive one and in my opinion doesn't feel as soft as the Lexus. I think you must have gotten a bad towel because the only time we've had to take a towel out of commission (bought them a little more than 1 year ago) is because someone stained it. I just recently ordered more wash cloths because they are the ones that get damaged the most, but they are inexpensive.
These towels get washed a lot and I'm still happy with them. I like the fact that I don't have to hunt and search for replacement towels and I just have to call them up and have them delivered. The towels we had before this I bought at Costco and they were good, but all of a sudden they didn't carry the color anymore. What a pain.
That is the exact reason I wanted to get them from TT. I wanted to just be able to call and get the same towel 4 years from now! But, the warehouse place I called has a 'hotel' section and the towels (nice ones, but not necessarily available forever) are great (we've had similar ones for 3 years) and they're $3 each. Somehow, I don't think I can pass that up and I CAN buy extras at that price.
I'm going to drive down there, take a look, buy a couple to 'test drive' and then decide. And here I thought I HAD decided.

My biggest pet peeve when traveling is that there are never enough towels! So I put 6 bath towels, two hand towels, and 6 washcloths in each bathroom. I have different colors for each bath and I bought most of them at JC Penney or Home Goods. I also use the spa bathrobes from Inn Style. They are terrycloth on the inside and a cotton weave on the outside. They do take longer to dry but they are wonderful!.
Country Girl said:
My biggest pet peeve when traveling is that there are never enough towels! So I put 6 bath towels, two hand towels, and 6 washcloths in each bathroom. I have different colors for each bath and I bought most of them at JC Penney or Home Goods. I also use the spa bathrobes from Inn Style. They are terrycloth on the inside and a cotton weave on the outside. They do take longer to dry but they are wonderful!
Yowza! Do guests USE all of those towels? I would go nuts with that amount of laundry! Plus, I do not have room for all of those towels in a bathroom.
We have guests here now who are using the same towel, both of them. There are enough towels for each of them in the room, but they're trying to not use more than they need to.

NW BB said:
That is the exact reason I wanted to get them from TT. I wanted to just be able to call and get the same towel 4 years from now! But, the warehouse place I called has a 'hotel' section and the towels (nice ones, but not necessarily available forever) are great (we've had similar ones for 3 years) and they're $3 each. Somehow, I don't think I can pass that up and I CAN buy extras at that price.
I'm going to drive down there, take a look, buy a couple to 'test drive' and then decide. And here I thought I HAD decided.
I've got several dozen towels now from TT and only had one that ever got a pulled thread. My biggest problem is still the darn stray rust spot here or there from either the washer or the dryer.
One caveat about TT - I have both white and champagne. The whites match perfectly from different batches; the champagnes do not. I suspect the champagnes will get better after several washings. My towels (the cheaper ones, Lexus I think) do get rougher as they are washed but they are still fine.

NW BB said:
Bree said:
NW BB said:
I got one that had the pulls but the rest are find after two years. They can be bleached, they told me, if I get a stain. A They did tell me to send them the towel back that had the pull and they would replace it but I never got around to doing it.
Riki

My biggest pet peeve when traveling is that there are never enough towels! So I put 6 bath towels, two hand towels, and 6 washcloths in each bathroom. I have different colors for each bath and I bought most of them at JC Penney or Home Goods. I also use the spa bathrobes from Inn Style. They are terrycloth on the inside and a cotton weave on the outside. They do take longer to dry but they are wonderful!.
Country Girl said:
Yowza! Do guests USE all of those towels? I would go nuts with that amount of laundry! Plus, I do not have room for all of those towels in a bathroom.
We have guests here now who are using the same towel, both of them. There are enough towels for each of them in the room, but they're trying to not use more than they need to.
Bree said:
Country Girl said:
Most guests don't use all the towels but some do, especially if they go for a hike or run in the afternoon and don't want to use a damp towel. Here is an example of what I have in one of my bathrooms. It doesn't take up too much space. I have a smaller one in another B&B bathroom.
towel%20holder.jpg

That is really neat. That sage color is gorgeous, as is the hand painting!

Country Girl said:
Bree said:
Country Girl said:
Most guests don't use all the towels but some do, especially if they go for a hike or run in the afternoon and don't want to use a damp towel. Here is an example of what I have in one of my bathrooms. It doesn't take up too much space. I have a smaller one in another B&B bathroom.
towel%20holder.jpg
Very pretty layout!

3 sets for each room, all white - a set is 4 bath towels, 2 hand towels, 2 wash cloths, 1 makeup cloth, and 1 bath mat. I also have extra wash cloths and make up cloths. I need 4 bath towels in each bathroom because of the jetted tubs plus showers....they do get used. I'm noticing some pulls on some towels...I think jewelry does it.
Good luck finding what you need! I need to buy more washcloths and take a few out of circulation.

3 sets for each room, all white - a set is 4 bath towels, 2 hand towels, 2 wash cloths, 1 makeup cloth, and 1 bath mat. I also have extra wash cloths and make up cloths. I need 4 bath towels in each bathroom because of the jetted tubs plus showers....they do get used. I'm noticing some pulls on some towels...I think jewelry does it.
Good luck finding what you need! I need to buy more washcloths and take a few out of circulation..
Holy cow! Where do you STORE all of them?

Back