TP or not TP

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breakfast Diva

Reaction score
We have an ongoing controversy here between myself and DH. I am of the mind that if there is a roll of TP that is half or more used, it gets changed whether they are stay overs or not. We take the left over rolls and use them in our bathroom, so nothing goes to waste. My thinking is that the guest should never have to change the roll themselves, even though we give them extra.
I know that some innkeepers use a brand new roll for each new check-in, but I'm not that obsessive. If it's more than half, it stays.
Any thoughts on this?

no way did I use a new roll for every guest. I placed plenty of TP in each bathroom so if they ran out..there was always more. I didn't care if it was half of a roll. Hey half is better than none. I never heard any complaints.

If I see it's almost to the end, I'll change it, but if it's got a 1/4 inch or more, I leave it. I think the trouble you'll get into changing the rolls for them is, I don't think the guests will appreciate you coming into the bathroom to change the roll when they are "mid-bidness",
poke.gif
and that is not a service I am willing to offer.
tounge_smile.gif

If I see it's almost to the end, I'll change it, but if it's got a 1/4 inch or more, I leave it. I think the trouble you'll get into changing the rolls for them is, I don't think the guests will appreciate you coming into the bathroom to change the roll when they are "mid-bidness",
poke.gif
tounge_smile.gif
I only go in when the guest has left and its being freshed up.

poke.gif
tounge_smile.gif
I only go in when the guest has left and its being freshed up.
I know, I was just teasing...

I put a fresh roll on anytime it's more than about half used. Plenty of extra rolls in each room...altho, it's amazing to me how few people know how to put TP on a TP holder....or how to shut a door, or throw stuff in a wastebasket, or ring a doorbell instead of walking right in....etc.

Count us as a vote on the replace after the roll is less than half full.
Its mostly an aesthetic thing for us, but it shows that we're on top of even the smallest detail.

I will ad, because I feel the need to, that I have viewed some websites of late that had a near empty or empty tp roll in a rooms page photo (Bathroom shot) and one was on this FORUM recently.
whattha.gif

My eyes went straight to the empty roll, the bathroom was upscale but I missed it all as I saw the empty tp roll and not much else, which is unfortunate. If they are reading this forum they might consider a reshoot of that photo for their website.
Attention to detail people.

I will ad, because I feel the need to, that I have viewed some websites of late that had a near empty or empty tp roll in a rooms page photo (Bathroom shot) and one was on this FORUM recently.
whattha.gif

My eyes went straight to the empty roll, the bathroom was upscale but I missed it all as I saw the empty tp roll and not much else, which is unfortunate. If they are reading this forum they might consider a reshoot of that photo for their website.
Attention to detail people..
Is your vote for change, or no change and at what point?

I'm with you... half or less and I'm pulling it off and putting on a new. 1) I like how it looks. 2) I don't want them running out (although there is spare available). 3) It just seems right to me.
=)
Kk.

More than half it stays. Less than half it's ours. Spare roll on the back of the toilet. Some guests are going to change the roll even if it is a fresh one everyday. I don't even want to know why they need all that TP in 12 hours.

More than half it stays. Less than half it's ours. Spare roll on the back of the toilet. Some guests are going to change the roll even if it is a fresh one everyday. I don't even want to know why they need all that TP in 12 hours..
YES! I do tend to have the larger rolls and most of the time, Charmin. Where DOES all that TP go, when hubby and I have our rolls last almost a week, compared to "overnight" for some guests!
I've gone to having a spare roll in a basket on the back of the stool, along with some cheap white washcloths. Those are usually more popular than the thick burgandy ones. I used to have the basket on the vanity, next to the sink, but some folks couldn't FIND it!
C

Yes, where does it all seem to go? Even with multiple boxes of kleenex in each room also.
I'm here nearly 24/7 and can't go through half a roll in a week even with a steady diet of spicy New Mexican food.
Don't remember if I ever shared the Memorial Day Weekend TP Massacre story, but we had two female guests who used two WHOLE rolls of 1,000 sheet single ply their first day and didn't even check in until almost 9pm.
When doing the first fluff, I thought maybe I didn't put a back up roll in.
Second morning fluff, two more entire rolls gone and very little in the trash can in the bathroom, so it wasn't being used as kleenex.
The third morning, a different guest came to breakfast and informed us of the water backing up in their toilet and shower.
Bingo! Now we just have to say something.
So, I put in the call to the Roto Rooter, take the two aside to remind them of the plumbing setup here, ask everybody else if they hadn't showered yet and am preparing to shuttle people out to our personal quarters if they just HAD to have a shower.
Essentially, the cost of getting a plumber out here on a holiday weekend ate up all the revenue from the two women and despite feeling really badly about it, they flip us an extra $25 on check out. Oh, thank you so much for your generosity.
The worst part about it was one set of really dense guests just wouldn't take the hint that they ought to maybe skedaddle and go do something away from the B&B for a few hours. They sat there on the front porch not 25 feet from the cleanout and read books while the plumber did his thing. This giant foul smelling wad of TP and hundreds of gallons of sewage comes gushing out and nails me and the plumber like the escape scene from Shawshank Redemption.

Yes, where does it all seem to go? Even with multiple boxes of kleenex in each room also.
I'm here nearly 24/7 and can't go through half a roll in a week even with a steady diet of spicy New Mexican food.
Don't remember if I ever shared the Memorial Day Weekend TP Massacre story, but we had two female guests who used two WHOLE rolls of 1,000 sheet single ply their first day and didn't even check in until almost 9pm.
Second morning fluff, two more entire rolls gone and very little in the trash can in the bathroom, so it wasn't being used as kleenex.
The third morning, a different guest came to breakfast and informed us of the water backing up in their toilet and shower.
So, I put in the call to the Roto Rooter, take the two aside to remind them of the plumbing setup here, ask everybody else if they hadn't showered yet and am preparing to shuttle people out to our personal quarters if they just HAD to have a shower.
Essentially, the cost of getting a plumber out here on a holiday weekend ate up all the revenue from the two women and despite feeling really badly about it, they flip us an extra $25 on check out. Oh, thank you so much for your generosity.
The worst part about it was one set of really dense guests just wouldn't take the hint that they ought to maybe skedaddle and go do something away from the B&B for a few hours. They sat there on the front porch not 25 feet from the cleanout and read books while the plumber did his thing. This giant foul smelling wad of TP and hundreds of gallons of sewage comes gushing out and nails me and the plumber like the escape scene from Shawshank Redemption.

The worst part about it was one set of really dense guests just wouldn't take the hint that they ought to maybe skedaddle and go do something away from the B&B for a few hours. They sat there on the front porch not 25 feet from the cleanout and read books while the plumber did his thing. This giant foul smelling wad of TP and hundreds of gallons of sewage comes gushing out and nails me and the plumber like the escape scene from Shawshank Redemption..
Whenever anything goes wrong here it happens before breakfast which means there is a truck outside the dining room window with worker bees swarming all over during breakfast. I've noticed that most guests won't leave even if their breakfast is over. There is nothing more satisfying than watching someone else work, especially if you yourself are on vacation.
Nice of you to offer your shower. Last time we had anything of that magnitude happen it flooded one guest room as everyone got their shower in and it all swamped the lower level room. We hoped it would swamp our bathroom, but it turns out the guest room is slightly lower than our bathroom.
The couple in that room got their night for free and we paid for the hotel room where they went to shower.

I buy regular-size rolls for guest bathrooms (no double rolls) and put up a fresh roll for each guest. There are extra rolls in a basket next to the throne in case of running short. Partial rolls come downstairs. IF I happen to be doing maid service, I would put up a new roll. It is not as if it was going to go to waste.

Every guest gets a fresh roll with the previously discussed courtesy fold and embellishment. I replace the roll if, during the fluff, it is less than half full. If the roll is more than half full, I still give them the courtesy fold. This is a more an indicator of attention to detail than anything else.
Edited to Add: We also recycle the smaller roles in our personal quarters....no waste.

I buy regular-size rolls for guest bathrooms (no double rolls) and put up a fresh roll for each guest. There are extra rolls in a basket next to the throne in case of running short. Partial rolls come downstairs. IF I happen to be doing maid service, I would put up a new roll. It is not as if it was going to go to waste..
gillumhouse said:
It is not as if it was going to go to waste.
Sure about that?
smileystooges.gif

At first, I thought from the name of this thread, that it was about Native Americans visiting Breakfast Diva's B&B.
186_indian.gif

more than half gone, i change the roll
half or more still there, i leave it but do the end folded to a point always.
with one exception. sometimes, if the guests left kind of a grubby mess in the bathroom, i pull the roll and put on a fresh one. sometimes they even leave dirty fingerprints on the wall in the bath. then the tp gets changed out no question.
i don't like guests to check in and have barely (haha) enough tp so that they are sure to need a new roll. seems thoughtless. i always leave a spare roll in each bathroom. for sure, some guests use tp as tissue even though there are facial tissues for them. i sometimes wonder if they line the seat with tp before they sit, like you might in a public restroom. because they use SO MUCH.
and, yes, i take the rolls back to innkeeper stash.

Back