Tr ip Adviser take a look

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess all of us know about that. I know atleast 300 places in New Delhi itself which offer pretty good discounts for positive comments on TA. Some have it displayed in every room.. offering 1-2 nights free.
"Already 30 properties around the world have been blacklisted for suspicious reviews"... and i thought TA doesn't have a sense of humor!

I guess all of us know about that. I know atleast 300 places in New Delhi itself which offer pretty good discounts for positive comments on TA. Some have it displayed in every room.. offering 1-2 nights free.
"Already 30 properties around the world have been blacklisted for suspicious reviews"... and i thought TA doesn't have a sense of humor!.
30 properties out of how many on there? might as well not bother!

Wow! That is not happening around here. Or I have never heard of it happening.

Wow! That is not happening around here. Or I have never heard of it happening..
sacrcasm? or really? tons of places do this its a "if you can't beat them join them" attitude and they are pushed against the wall so this is how they fight back and frankly I can't blame them.

You know, I'm actually all for this. TA does not feel the need to EVER follow its own rules, as we've all seen here. If a place is asking for "positive but honest" reviews in exchange for something then who really cares? They could give you a 5 star review and then proceed to "honestly" trash you in the comments. So the onus is back on the person reading to actually go through and parse all the reviews.
Just makes me happy that TA be exposed for the scam site that it is, and hopefully it will drive the development of a truly open and honest forum for travelers seeking info.

Based on my traffic from TA, they are not that big. I like the reviews as we get good ones mostly and feedback is nice. It helps to build trust with our clients. But if I totally ignored them, I wonder what the impact to my business would be?

"Already 30 properties around the world have been blacklisted for suspicious reviews"... and i thought TA doesn't have a sense of humor!.
30 properties out of how many on there? might as well not bother!
We have seen the "red flag" on properties. A local property had it... for a week, then it disappeared. Do you think that really did anything?
There are a few sites that point out the problem, like http://tripadvisor-warning.com/ and http://tripadvisorwatch.wordpress.com/
There was a place in the north that was offering an incentive, so people posted reviews BEFORE they left, for the discount.
If you want to see what hotels have the warning, just put in this search to google.
site:tripadvisor.com "Message from TripAdvisor: TripAdvisor has reasonable cause to believe that individuals or entities associated with or having an interest in this property may have interfered with traveler reviews and/or the popularity index for this property. We make our best efforts to identify suspicious content and are always working to improve the processes we use to assess traveler reviews."

I was just sent an e-mail from a review I did almost 2 years ago of a restaurant 6 hours away from me. They said that they are new owners and wanted to comp me 2 dinners if we're ever in the area and would I please remove the review (I rated it 3 stars).
I wrote back that they should contact TA and all the old reviews will be taken down.
I was quite stunned that they were offering to comp us meals! I would never take them up on that offer. It's just not the right thing to do.

I was just sent an e-mail from a review I did almost 2 years ago of a restaurant 6 hours away from me. They said that they are new owners and wanted to comp me 2 dinners if we're ever in the area and would I please remove the review (I rated it 3 stars).
I wrote back that they should contact TA and all the old reviews will be taken down.
I was quite stunned that they were offering to comp us meals! I would never take them up on that offer. It's just not the right thing to do..
I didn't know you could just take down your review from TA??? Or do you mean because they are new owners of the restaurant??? Boy people will do anything these days! Gets kind of ridiculous at times I think.

After I got that e-mail yesterday, I looked at the FAQ's and it says you can not edit your review but if you want to remove it, you must e-mail them.

We absolutely refuse to get in bed with Trip Advisor. Guests have posted complimentary reviews of the Lodge on TA, and we have claimed our TA site to manage it, but every time we get a review, we also get a barrage of e-mails from TA inviting us to "maximize" our exposure. As I have pointed out over and over and over again, it really stinks that a site purporting to post honest reviews then contacts properties so that they can "benefit" from additional exposure. It's like Vinnie from the Bronx running a numbers game or a protection racket; if we don't subscribe, somebody is gonna smash our windows.
Since we have absolutely no recourse if somebody posts a bad review, then what in the hell is the benefit of paying these people anything?

Green Cat Guest house Here - I wrote - signed in and responded to this article in the Daily Mail asking them to research and write the TA story from the service provider's POV - giving them examples and stories from which to proceed.
I urge fellow innkeepers to do the same. This is the TA story writ in the British tabloid system - rebut, oh, innkeepers - rebut!
Green Cat Guest House

I was quite stunned that they were offering to comp us meals! I would never take them up on that offer. It's just not the right thing to do..
Really? It's just not the Right Thing To Do? Good on those new restaurant owners! They're trying to get their business off the ground - just like you did! I guess you've never gotten a bad review on TA. That restaurant will send you guests if you work with them - what ever happened to co-operative "synergy" between businesses in an area?
Guess what: all the old reviews WONT be taken down. Not theirs, and not yours. Those reviews - unless Trip Advisor changes its policy, and not likely - will remail in Perpetuity througout the internet. Forever. Our only collective resource is to work together to support each other - all the restaurants, spas, inns, hotels and B&Bs in your area. Work to create a interactive synergy in your area that sends guests to each facility and creates the ambiance that your area deserves. Don't divide - work together.
Green Cat Guest House

You know, I'm actually all for this. TA does not feel the need to EVER follow its own rules, as we've all seen here. If a place is asking for "positive but honest" reviews in exchange for something then who really cares? They could give you a 5 star review and then proceed to "honestly" trash you in the comments. So the onus is back on the person reading to actually go through and parse all the reviews.
Just makes me happy that TA be exposed for the scam site that it is, and hopefully it will drive the development of a truly open and honest forum for travelers seeking info..
Here, here. The TA tryranny must be resisted. Write - call to Expedia the parent company - Bellevue, WA

I didn't know you could just take down your review from TA??? Or do you mean because they are new owners of the restaurant??? Boy people will do anything these days! Gets kind of ridiculous at times I think.
the way it works is say I wrote a review of a place and posted it if I decided in 2 weeks i wanted to remove it or change it i can at any time. So in theory the bribery thing works to get bad back reviews removed

Green Cat Guest house Here - I wrote - signed in and responded to this article in the Daily Mail asking them to research and write the TA story from the service provider's POV - giving them examples and stories from which to proceed.
I urge fellow innkeepers to do the same. This is the TA story writ in the British tabloid system - rebut, oh, innkeepers - rebut!
Green Cat Guest House.
i put a comment on yesterday but it hasn't popped up yet. says no comments left but they may check them for spam and rudeness. Said as a member of the industry we are sick and tired of being blackmailed by people over trip adviser and though I did not approve of bribing people for reviews I can see why people do its a case of if you can't beat them join them its their only way of fighting back so they take it.

catlady said:
You can & it's a flourishing business from TA side.
Recently i saw 7 negative reviews taken down from TA. The reviews were right (I was having dinner with some friends & the hotel owner whose hotel was in question) My converstation over dinner with him was quite straight to the point, & after what he did, i chose to to shut up & wonder.
To cut long matters short, he just called up someone from his mobile & told me to refresh his hotel's site when i return home (cherry topped it with a smile and wink). Well, all the negative reviews were gone. New ones as well as old one's & in their place 1-2 new positive one's had popped up. This all happened within 3 hours. Positive one's were those which were negative at first. So, the reviews were edited to make them appear favourable.
Later that night, i met him on FB & he said casually "tell you what, my hotel won't have even a single negative review now". I asked his friend (through whom i met the owner in the 1st place), & he said the owner pays money to someone in TA, which falls cheaper than taking TA listing & provides free stay to TA members.
And it's not only this hotel owner, i have heard of many B&Bs doing the same.. no wonder they never have any "proper reviews". Moreover, you got people from everywhere who provide services for a small fee for posting reviews on TA.
Frankly i have never come across any forum which has unbiased reviews. I have seen hotel owners book their own hotels to post favorable comments on expedia etc.
Love it or hate it, it's how things are.

catlady said:
You can & it's a flourishing business from TA side.
Recently i saw 7 negative reviews taken down from TA. The reviews were right (I was having dinner with some friends & the hotel owner whose hotel was in question) My converstation over dinner with him was quite straight to the point, & after what he did, i chose to to shut up & wonder.
To cut long matters short, he just called up someone from his mobile & told me to refresh his hotel's site when i return home (cherry topped it with a smile and wink). Well, all the negative reviews were gone. New ones as well as old one's & in their place 1-2 new positive one's had popped up. This all happened within 3 hours. Positive one's were those which were negative at first. So, the reviews were edited to make them appear favourable.
Later that night, i met him on FB & he said casually "tell you what, my hotel won't have even a single negative review now". I asked his friend (through whom i met the owner in the 1st place), & he said the owner pays money to someone in TA, which falls cheaper than taking TA listing & provides free stay to TA members.
And it's not only this hotel owner, i have heard of many B&Bs doing the same.. no wonder they never have any "proper reviews". Moreover, you got people from everywhere who provide services for a small fee for posting reviews on TA.
Frankly i have never come across any forum which has unbiased reviews. I have seen hotel owners book their own hotels to post favorable comments on expedia etc.
Love it or hate it, it's how things are.
my nieghbour makes her own bookings on Book .com to leave her own reviews when she gets below 7 points on her review score. people have reported her for it but they don't care.

Back