'Trade you my bike for dental work' - INN the news 04.26.09

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have bartered for a few things - a hallway chandelier for a gift certificate for one night, for example. Our best barter was several free nights' stay for our photographer - he worked so hard that I have told him he has to come back and just stay without shooting photos so he can actually have a vacation.

We had an artist from the mid-west stay here several years ago who offered to paint a watercolor of our B&B in exchange for a future visit. He did an amazing job and we used his painting for our Christmas cards. I would be happy bartering almost anything from artisans, especially for great pottery!

I have traded a night stay for plants for my City. I have also given free nights to writers - some paid off....some didn't.... It is the chance one takes.

We have bartered for legal services. We have a guest who is an attorney who set up our corporation and other smaller legal tasks. It worked well.
One thing I have learned about bartering...be sure to set your parameters. For us, they must take their room nights Sun-Thursday, and not in June, July August. Otherwise, you might as well just pay them (especially if it's a taxable writeoff) if they are staying when you would have been full.

as the article mentioned, be careful .... the irs would LOVE to tax each bartering partner for the dollar value. i used to work for the irs and you want to be the most unpopular person at a party? tell other guests what you do. ohboy.
if i bartered, i am not ashamed to say, i'd do it quietly, 'underground' ... i think having to pay taxes (MONEY) on a transaction where no money is exchanged is just outrageous. maybe the irs would accept a sack of homegrown tomatoes as tax payment.
wink_smile.gif

We have bartered for legal services. We have a guest who is an attorney who set up our corporation and other smaller legal tasks. It worked well.
One thing I have learned about bartering...be sure to set your parameters. For us, they must take their room nights Sun-Thursday, and not in June, July August. Otherwise, you might as well just pay them (especially if it's a taxable writeoff) if they are staying when you would have been full..
NW BB said:
One thing I have learned about bartering...be sure to set your parameters. For us, they must take their room nights Sun-Thursday, and not in June, July August. Otherwise, you might as well just pay them (especially if it's a taxable writeoff) if they are staying when you would have been full.
I would give them a GC with those specifics.

as the article mentioned, be careful .... the irs would LOVE to tax each bartering partner for the dollar value. i used to work for the irs and you want to be the most unpopular person at a party? tell other guests what you do. ohboy.
if i bartered, i am not ashamed to say, i'd do it quietly, 'underground' ... i think having to pay taxes (MONEY) on a transaction where no money is exchanged is just outrageous. maybe the irs would accept a sack of homegrown tomatoes as tax payment.
wink_smile.gif
seashanty said:
if i bartered, i am not ashamed to say, i'd do it quietly, 'underground'
wink_smile.gif
That is what bartering is all about.

Back